Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Forstner bit

Just purchased a set of five from Screwfix (Erbauer). They look very nice.

Got to cut a flatpack (Been & Queued) kitchen unit down from 600mm deep
to about 450mm and want to make nice new neat holes for the cam-lock
fittings and also preserve the bits.

What speed should I use for the 15mm bit? Standard kitchen carcass...
melamine veneered chipboard. I will be using a drill-press.

Loads of info on Google about Forstner bits in general but nowt about
speeds.

Thanks

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Steve wrote:
Just purchased a set of five from Screwfix (Erbauer). They look very
nice.

Got to cut a flatpack (Been & Queued) kitchen unit down from 600mm deep
to about 450mm and want to make nice new neat holes for the cam-lock
fittings and also preserve the bits.

B&Q sell a hole cutter specifically for this. Dunno if it's the same thing.

What speed should I use for the 15mm bit? Standard kitchen carcass...
melamine veneered chipboard. I will be using a drill-press.

Mine is permanently on minimum speed - 500 rpm - and worked fine doing the
same into cut down MDF doors. Obviously set the depth stop to the correct
amount.

Loads of info on Google about Forstner bits in general but nowt about
speeds.

Perhaps it's just me, but for most things there's not really too slow a
speed - only too fast.

--
*Never slap a man who's chewing tobacco *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Got to cut a flatpack (Been & Queued) kitchen unit down from 600mm deep
to about 450mm and want to make nice new neat holes for the cam-lock
fittings and also preserve the bits.

B&Q sell a hole cutter specifically for this. Dunno if it's the same thing.

Not sure... our B&Q is useless. Had to go to one of their superstores to
get the kitchen off the shelf after the local goons thought it could
take 8 weeks to order from them :-(

What speed should I use for the 15mm bit? Standard kitchen carcass...
melamine veneered chipboard. I will be using a drill-press.

Mine is permanently on minimum speed - 500 rpm - and worked fine doing the
same into cut down MDF doors. Obviously set the depth stop to the correct
amount.

Yep, I think that a lower speed is called for initially but I was
worried that a too low speed might leave ragged edges around the cut
through the melamine. Not that it matters really as the holes will be
out of sight to the tenant and only I will know... OK on the depth stop ;-)

Perhaps it's just me, but for most things there's not really too slow a
speed - only too fast.

I think that you are right in general but routers spin very fast to
achieve a good finish.

Cheers

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Steve wrote:
Just purchased a set of five from Screwfix (Erbauer). They look very
nice.

Got to cut a flatpack (Been & Queued) kitchen unit down from 600mm deep
to about 450mm and want to make nice new neat holes for the cam-lock
fittings and also preserve the bits.

B&Q sell a hole cutter specifically for this. Dunno if it's the same
thing.

what they dont sell however is a 55mm diam hole cutter for the lights they
sell for their kitchen cupboards.
Instructions clearly state cut hole 55mm but B&Q dont provide a cutter this
size, DOH!
--
Vass

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve wrote:
Just purchased a set of five from Screwfix (Erbauer). They look very
nice.
Got to cut a flatpack (Been & Queued) kitchen unit down from 600mm
deep to about 450mm and want to make nice new neat holes for the
cam-lock fittings and also preserve the bits.

What speed should I use for the 15mm bit? Standard kitchen carcass...
melamine veneered chipboard. I will be using a drill-press.

Don't know if this would help, might give you a rough idea?
http://www.ibiblio.org/twa/info/drillSpeedChart.pdf

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Don't know if this would help, might give you a rough idea?
http://www.ibiblio.org/twa/info/drillSpeedChart.pdf

Yes it does!

Excellent. Thanks Dave.

Steve