Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Forstner bit extension

I'm aiming to make some tall hollow forms and want to start the hollowing
with a forstner bit. Anyone know where - in the UK- I can get extensions for
forstner bits (which have 5/16" or 8mm shafts)? The extension bars for flat
bits don't fit.

TIA

Ian

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Ian

If it was me, as you have a lathe, I would get a 1/2" or 14mm length
of cold rolled steel, chuck it up in the lathe and drill a fitting
size hole in there, drill another small hole to cut thread into for a
grub/setscrew, that's all you need, then a small flat spot on the
forstner bit shaft and you have what you want, (at low cost).

http://homepage.mac.com/l.vanderloo/PhotoAlbum4.html

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

On Feb 7, 10:10 am, "Ian Malcolm" wrote:
I'm aiming to make some tall hollow forms and want to start the hollowing
with a forstner bit. Anyone know where - in the UK- I can get extensions for
forstner bits (which have 5/16" or 8mm shafts)? The extension bars for flat
bits don't fit.

TIA

Ian

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Ian,

Try

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.a...sfile=1&jump=0
or
http://www.rutlands.co.uk/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/DKX1

Good luck.

BillR

"Ian Malcolm" wrote in message
t...
I'm aiming to make some tall hollow forms and want to start the hollowing
with a forstner bit. Anyone know where - in the UK- I can get extensions
for forstner bits (which have 5/16" or 8mm shafts)? The extension bars for
flat bits don't fit.

TIA

Ian

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

WOW............. talking about high priced steel !!!!!

On Feb 8, 8:00 am, "BillR" wrote:
Ian,

Try

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.a...=forstner+exte...
orhttp://www.rutlands.co.uk/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/DKX1

Good luck.

BillR

"Ian Malcolm" wrote in message

t...

I'm aiming to make some tall hollow forms and want to start the hollowing
with a forstner bit. Anyone know where - in the UK- I can get extensions
for forstner bits (which have 5/16" or 8mm shafts)? The extension bars for
flat bits don't fit.

TIA

Ian

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I agree. I use one of these.

http://www.ahc-camberley.co.uk/catal...805 1&sort=1a

All I need is a hole down the middle to give the hollowing tool a start and
prevent the kick you get from trying to start the cut in end grain.

oups.com...

On Feb 8, 8:00 am, "BillR" wrote:
Ian,

Try

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.a...=forstner+exte...
orhttp://www.rutlands.co.uk/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/DKX1

Good luck.

BillR

"Ian Malcolm" wrote in message

t...

I'm aiming to make some tall hollow forms and want to start the
hollowing
with a forstner bit. Anyone know where - in the UK- I can get
extensions
for forstner bits (which have 5/16" or 8mm shafts)? The extension bars
for
flat bits don't fit.

TIA

Ian

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Feb 7, 11:10 am, "Ian Malcolm" wrote:
I'm aiming to make some tall hollow forms and want to start the hollowing
with a forstner bit. Anyone know where - in the UK- I can get extensions for
forstner bits (which have 5/16" or 8mm shafts)? The extension bars for flat
bits don't fit.

TIA

Ian

dimar make them, I had to special order mine in and it was very
expensive.