Posted to rec.woodworking

Default wd-40

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/22/bu...arry1.html?hpw

Regards,

Tom Watson
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tom Watson" wrote in message
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/22/bu...arry1.html?hpw

Regards,

Tom Watson
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/

What a pity. I wonder if he was aware that WD-40 cures pulmonary fibrosis.

B.
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Tom Watson wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/22/bu...arry1.html?hpw

requires registration...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 22 Jul 2009 19:22:42 -0500, dpb wrote:

Tom Watson wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/22/bu...arry1.html?hpw

requires registration...

Yeah. That's why I pasted the whole article the last time I got
something from the Times.

Of course, people complained that I hadn't simply posted the link.

Regards,

Tom Watson
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/
Posted to rec.woodworking

"dpb" wrote
requires registration...

http://www.bugmenot.com/view/nytimes.com
will give you acct name and PW for the ny times and many other sites.
Art

Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb wrote:
Tom Watson wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/22/bu...arry1.html?hpw ...

requires registration...

Iz okay. I registered, oh, many years ago and have never gotten spam, or,
for that matter, any email, from them.

Posted to rec.woodworking

--

I registered a few years ago. Must have a cookie because it never asks me
to log in. Never got any spam from them either so not need for great

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tom Watson wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/22/bu...arry1.html?hpw

requires registration...

Yeah. That's why I pasted the whole article the last time I got
something from the Times.

Of course, people complained that I hadn't simply posted the link.

I was able to read it without registering or logging in -- I know I don't
have any cookies stored because I clean those out pretty much daily in my
Konqueror (linux) browser.

RIP Barry -- that product unstuck a lot of bolts and protected a lot of
equipment.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
I registered a few years ago. Must have a cookie ...

Must; wanted cookies enabled, too...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/22/2009 7:17 PM HeyBub spake thus:

dpb wrote:

Tom Watson wrote:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/22/bu...arry1.html?hpw ...

requires registration...

Iz okay. I registered, oh, many years ago and have never gotten spam, or,
for that matter, any email, from them.

I still prefer to do an end run around their silly "registration" scheme
by using Bugmenot. (Besides, it helps satisfy my requirement for doing
at least one illegal or at least frowned-upon thing daily.)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Subject

Spritz some WD-40 on cast iron saw table, then some 150 wet/dry on a
ROS, a little elbow grease, and all those nasty little rust stains
disappear.

Follow up with a paper towel wipe down, and you're ready for some
paste wax or other protectorant of choice.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Subject

Spritz some WD-40 on cast iron saw table, then some 150 wet/dry on a
ROS, a little elbow grease, and all those nasty little rust stains
disappear.

Kerosene, any light oil, water, virtually any other lubricant will do
the same...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dpb" wrote:

Kerosene, any light oil, water, virtually any other lubricant will
do the same...

Try buying kerosene in SoCal.

Close as you come is a bottle of scented and colored lamp oil.

Understand it's the same in South Florida according to a buddy of
mine.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Lew Hodgett wrote:
"dpb" wrote:

Kerosene, any light oil, water, virtually any other lubricant will
do the same...

Try buying kerosene in SoCal.

Close as you come is a bottle of scented and colored lamp oil.

internet search showed about a dozen in the LA area in ThomasNet; retail
yellow pages about as many more...

But, point was/is "...virtually any other lubricant" will do...nothing
unique about the WD40 for the purpose.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2009-07-23, dpb wrote:

But, point was/is "...virtually any other lubricant" will do...nothing
unique about the WD40 for the purpose.

WD40 has one major function that puts it above more pedestrian lubricants.
It displaces water. I had a distributor cap full of condensation and the car
just would not start. One blast of WD40 and she fired right up. OTOH, WD40
is not really a very good lubricant. Better than a poke in the eye, but I
wouldn't use it for anything that requires long lasting lubrication.

As for unique, no. LPS1 is a direct knockoff of WD40 and in my experience,
a superior product in every way. There's even different grades, LPS3 being
a thicker, higher viscosity, version. The one advantage to WD40, you can
buy it almost anywhere. I've even seen it in mini-marts.

nb

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dpb" wrote:

internet search showed about a dozen in the LA area in ThomasNet;
retail yellow pages about as many more...

Ever drive in L/A traffic which is over 500 sq miles in area?

"About a dozen" sales locations doesn't get the job done.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
Spritz some WD-40 on cast iron saw table, then some 150 wet/dry on a
ROS, a little elbow grease, and all those nasty little rust stains
disappear.

Pretty much what I do. My tablesaw lives in the garage of a friend and at
the beginning of the summer every year when I go over for the first time, I
take WD-40 and some 0000 grit steel wool. Touches it up very nicely.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Lew Hodgett wrote:
"dpb" wrote:

internet search showed about a dozen in the LA area in ThomasNet;
retail yellow pages about as many more...

Ever drive in L/A traffic which is over 500 sq miles in area?

"About a dozen" sales locations doesn't get the job done.

I frankly don't give a rat's patootie whether you can or can't buy
whatever at your corner 7-11; a 5-second look indicated it's not
kerosene is not pure unobtanium even in LA metro...I don't think it
would be particularly difficult to find in any general area if were
actually so inclined. That it's apparently difficult at all simply
indicates to me a poor choice of living locations.

That aside, the point still is, take tap water; it'll serve the same
purpose for the suggested use just as effectively; all it's doing is
serving as a lubricant instead of dry scrubbing.

In fact, I would far prefer wet/dry paper and water for the specific
use--it's a much faster process.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Ever drive in L/A traffic which is over 500 sq miles in area?

Actually, unfortunately, I have...spent several years w/ primary client
of Garrett AirResearch in Torrance/Huntington Beach area. Needless to
say, was always a relief to get the h - e - double-toothpicks back to E
TN hills...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
"dpb" wrote:

Kerosene, any light oil, water, virtually any other lubricant will
do the same...

Try buying kerosene in SoCal.

Close as you come is a bottle of scented and colored lamp oil.

Understand it's the same in South Florida according to a buddy of
mine.

Get out the phone book and call gas stations until you find one with a
kerosene pump. There may not be many but there should be a few. Try
marinas too.

http://www.magicyellow.com/category/...ne/Cities.html has a list of
distributors--most of them want you to buy 50 gallons or more to get it
directly from them, but they should be able to tell you what retailers they
supply.

If you're using it for a solvent then paying Home Depot's ludicrous price
for a gallon can is not all that unreasonable, but I'd be damned if I'd buy
it there to burn.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
"dpb" wrote:

internet search showed about a dozen in the LA area in ThomasNet;
retail yellow pages about as many more...

Ever drive in L/A traffic which is over 500 sq miles in area?

"About a dozen" sales locations doesn't get the job done.

Geez, if you're using so much of it that filling up a 5 gallon can becomes a
burden then call a distributer and have them deliver you a drum.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2009-07-23, dpb wrote:

But, point was/is "...virtually any other lubricant" will do...nothing
unique about the WD40 for the purpose.

WD40 has one major function that puts it above more pedestrian lubricants.
It displaces water.

And you realize that the name WD40 stands for Water Displacement v. 40? You
are right about it not being much of a lubricant as it does evaporate.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 23, 2:45*am, dpb wrote:
Lew Hodgett wrote:
"dpb" wrote:

[...]

Kerosine is a popular moderator (slows the burn down) in the burn
between pure hydrogen and oxygen. Popular amongst rocket engines.

When pulling a charge of air into an air-rifle, a squirt of WD 40
turns it into a whole new experience. The fumes will 'diesel' the
pellet with increased velocity, and a 'flame' is actually visible.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2009-07-23, J. Clarke wrote:

If you're using it for a solvent then paying Home Depot's ludicrous price
for a gallon can is not all that unreasonable, but I'd be damned if I'd buy
it there to burn.

It's not just HD that's charging these prices. A well known farmer's supply
chain is charging $10 gal in 2.5 gal jugs. Kerosene is so pricey, now,
it's practically killed off the kerosene appliance industry. I had a 28K
BTU kerosene heater, almost brand new. I couldn't even give it away, in CO,
in Winter! Who can afford to feed it? I just tossed it.

If you can still find a Chevron/Standard station with a garage, they'll
probably have bulk kerosene. Problem is, I haven't seen one in 10 yrs.

nb

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2009-07-23, Robatoy wrote:

turns it into a whole new experience. The fumes will 'diesel' the
pellet with increased velocity, and a 'flame' is actually visible.

....which completely defeats the whole concept of stealth assassination by BB.

nb
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2009-07-23, Robatoy wrote:

turns it into a whole new experience. The fumes will 'diesel' the
pellet with increased velocity, and a 'flame' is actually visible.

...which completely defeats the whole concept of stealth assassination by BB.

nb

The squirrels have yet to file a complaint.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Try buying kerosene in SoCal.

Close as you come is a bottle of scented and colored lamp oil.

diesel fuel.

Regards,

Tom Watsonhttp://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/

Add a little properly chosen fertilizer just for ****s and giggles.
Posted to rec.woodworking

HeyBub wrote:
dpb wrote:
Tom Watson wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/22/bu...arry1.html?hpw ...

requires registration...

Iz okay. I registered, oh, many years ago and have never gotten spam, or,
for that matter, any email, from them.

Same here. I read the Times daily and nary a spam.

Tanus
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tom Watson" wrote:

diesel fuel.

Not quite.

Diesel and #2 fuel oil are basically the same.

Closest thing to kerosene is jet A for aircraft.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" wrote:

Get out the phone book and call gas stations until you find one with
kerosene pump.

That's an extinct species.

There hasn't been a gas station with a kerosene pump in SoCal for at
least the last 20 years.

Try
marinas too.

Other than the occasional cook stove and a lamp now and then, can't
think of a single application for kero onboard a boat.

http://www.magicyellow.com/category/...ne/Cities.html has a list
of
distributors--most of them want you to buy 50 gallons or more to get
it
directly from them, but they should be able to tell you what
retailers they
supply.

The sources shown in that list are by and large commercial fueling
stations which are totally unmanned.

Have never seen a kero pump at any of them.

If you're using it for a solvent then paying Home Depot's ludicrous
price
for a gallon can is not all that unreasonable, but I'd be damned if
I'd buy
it there to burn.

Here in SoCal you have a thing called SCAQMD, South Coast Air Quality
Management District, which supports itself by collecting fines it
assesses.

They have made sure that cero is gone except for a gallon or so from
places like Home Depot.

Good grief, they even went after charcoal lighter fluid a few years
ago.

That attempt died, but you get the idea.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/22/2009 10:19 PM Lew Hodgett spake thus:

"dpb" wrote:

Kerosene, any light oil, water, virtually any other lubricant will
do the same...

Try buying kerosene in SoCal.

Close as you come is a bottle of scented and colored lamp oil.

Izzat right? According to this discussion thread, there are (or at least
were as of 1999) places to buy kerosene in SoCal:
http://greenspun.com/bboard/q-and-a-...?msg_id=000rZH

I'm guessing at least *some* of these places still sell it.

(Here in NoCal the number of places that sell kerosene has dropped
significantly. The cheapest place around here is the Rotten Robbie's
over to Hayward, a fur piece from here.)

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Robatoy wrote:
When pulling a charge of air into an air-rifle, a squirt of WD 40
turns it into a whole new experience. The fumes will 'diesel' the
pellet with increased velocity, and a 'flame' is actually visible.

Haven't tried that; don't have the air rifle, just use the .22 short
instead...sounds like fun, however.

In a pinch I've applied it to rusted up stuff that needed torch heat to
break loose--it sputters and burns half-assedly rather than steadily as
does kerosene itself. I assume that's the effect of the other trace
additives.

I've looked up the MSDS previously for it; it's a slightly lighter
fraction than K-1; there's a trade/generic name for the base solvent
that escapes me just now and I'm not motivated enough to look it up....

Somebody once me sent an urban legend about how the stuff is made in
individual batches by these specially-trained gurus who know "the secret
formula" and are essentially brew masters. The "passer-on" was
apparently nearly mortally offended when I pointed out they make the
stuff in tank-car quantities from commercially produced and available
standard industrial chemicals and add a few proprietary ingredients.

What a load of hooey has arisen over a mostly so-so product that has
served them well in marketing.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
"J. Clarke" wrote:

[...]

Lew, I have never seen anybody in my life who was so determined to fail.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" wrote:

Lew, I have never seen anybody in my life who was so determined to
fail.

Wasn't looking for the stuff in the first place.

Only pointing out things aren't what they used to be here in SoCal.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tanus wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
dpb wrote:
Tom Watson wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/22/bu...arry1.html?hpw ...
requires registration...

Iz okay. I registered, oh, many years ago and have never gotten
spam, or, for that matter, any email, from them.

Same here. I read the Times daily and nary a spam.

Come to think on it, however, I do get solicitations from DailyKos, The
Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee, ACORN, and The Communist Party
USA...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dpb" wrote:

Actually, unfortunately, I have...spent several years w/ primary
client of Garrett AirResearch in Torrance/Huntington Beach area.
Needless to say, was always a relief to get the h - e -
double-toothpicks back to E TN hills...

The weather get to you?

Sounds like too much of a good thing.

BTW, not sure if Honeywell still operates Torrance or not, but
whatever remains of Huntingtin Beach has been absorbed by Boeing.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking
10x 10x is offline

dpb wrote:

Tom Watson wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/22/bu...arry1.html?hpw

requires registration...

When I come across a site that requires compulsory registration, I
always try http://www.bugmenot.com to see if they have any
login/passwords on file for the site.

Came up with this for the NY Times site:

http://www.bugmenot.com/view/nytimes.com

There are a number of good combinations here.

Joe
aka10x
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2009-07-23, Robatoy wrote:

turns it into a whole new experience. The fumes will 'diesel' the
pellet with increased velocity, and a 'flame' is actually visible.

...which completely defeats the whole concept of stealth assassination by BB.

ROTFL!

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Lew Hodgett wrote:
"dpb" wrote:

Actually, unfortunately, I have...spent several years w/ primary
client of Garrett AirResearch in Torrance/Huntington Beach area.
Needless to say, was always a relief to get the h - e -
double-toothpicks back to E TN hills...

The weather get to you?

On occasion, yes; _terribly_ smoggy many afternoons in those days. But,
mostly just too d--d many people and too much asphalt and not enough
ground...

Sounds like too much of a good thing.

Far too much of what turned an _originally_good_thing_ (tm) into a
hellhole, actually...

Barnabey's was ok...it still there?

Overall, it's one of those places everybody should go to once but it's
nowhere to have to live.

BTW, not sure if Honeywell still operates Torrance or not, but
whatever remains of Huntingtin Beach has been absorbed by Boeing.

This was long ago; moved on to other areas after DOE finally pulled the
plug on the enrichment centrifuge fiasco so never paid any attention to
what became of AirResearch. Did run into a couple of the guys over the
years in various places and kept in touch w/ BBN fella that used to
drive down from Ventura weekly for quite a while but they were all even
older than I and retired years and years ago now--I only "years ago"
when returned to family farm in SW KS. Oh, and got to know the Delta
LAX/ATL/TYS flight crews to the point of exchanging cards w/ some until
both sets of kids were thru school. That's a clue you've been traveling
far too regularly.