Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default wd-40

Robatoy wrote:
When pulling a charge of air into an air-rifle, a squirt of WD 40
turns it into a whole new experience. The fumes will 'diesel' the
pellet with increased velocity, and a 'flame' is actually visible.

Haven't tried that; don't have the air rifle, just use the .22 short
instead...sounds like fun, however.

In a pinch I've applied it to rusted up stuff that needed torch heat to
break loose--it sputters and burns half-assedly rather than steadily as
does kerosene itself. I assume that's the effect of the other trace
additives.

I've looked up the MSDS previously for it; it's a slightly lighter
fraction than K-1; there's a trade/generic name for the base solvent
that escapes me just now and I'm not motivated enough to look it up....

Somebody once me sent an urban legend about how the stuff is made in
individual batches by these specially-trained gurus who know "the secret
formula" and are essentially brew masters. The "passer-on" was
apparently nearly mortally offended when I pointed out they make the
stuff in tank-car quantities from commercially produced and available
standard industrial chemicals and add a few proprietary ingredients.

What a load of hooey has arisen over a mostly so-so product that has
served them well in marketing.