Posted to rec.woodworking

Default wd-40

"dpb" wrote:

On occasion, yes; _terribly_ smoggy many afternoons in those days.
But, mostly just too d--d many people and too much asphalt and not
enough ground...

Thanks to the efforts of organizations such as SCAQMD, smoggy
afternoons are few and far between these days.

As far as people, you just learn to live with it.

The traffic can be a pain, especially during morning/afternoon commute
if you work an 8-5 job.

I refer to the L/A basin as a paved dessert.

Trying to grow grass like an English garden is a total waste of time,
money, and water, especially water.

Barnabey's was ok...it still there?

The hotel in Manhattan Beach?

Never been there but they have a web site so assume they are still
there.

Overall, it's one of those places everybody should go to once but
it's nowhere to have to live.

No snow, low humidity, no bugs, I'll take it.

Oh,
and got to know the Delta LAX/ATL/TYS flight crews to the point of
exchanging cards w/ some until both sets of kids were thru school.
That's a clue you've been traveling far too regularly.

Spent far too much time with my rear end jammed into the center seat
of a 727 myself.

Can certainly relate.

Thank heavens I don't have to fly any more, it has become a total
PITA.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Lew Hodgett wrote:
As far as people, you just learn to live with it.

I choose to not have to...

The hotel in Manhattan Beach?

Never been there but they have a web site so assume they are still
there.

Yeah, it was/(is?) relatively amenable place, at least...

No snow, low humidity, no bugs, I'll take it.

Having to put up w/ the excess numbers of people and their accoutrements
are far worse than a few bugs... The E TN humidity was indeed sorta'
a pain during the worst of the summer, but having seasons is
_a_good_thing_ (tm).

Thank heavens I don't have to fly any more, it has become a total
PITA.

If I ever fly commercial again it'll be a very special place/occasion,
indeed...

Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb wrote:

The E TN humidity was indeed sorta' a pain during the worst of the
summer, but having seasons is _a_good_thing_ (tm).

Unless you live in SoCal, you may not realize there are 4 seasons,
just like everybody else.

Unlike back over the hill, SoCal seldom sees temps below 40F.

Still rememmber my last trip back to Ohio in January when I was
reintroduced to -5F overnight temps and why I left in the first place.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 22, 5:47*pm, Tom Watson wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/22/bu...arry1.html?hpw

Regards,

Tom Watsonhttp://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/

May he rust in peace.
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Unless you live in SoCal, you may not realize there are 4 seasons,
just like everybody else.

While there are some seasonal variations, yes, they're miniature
caricatures of a "season" at best...

Unlike back over the hill, SoCal seldom sees temps below 40F.

Still rememmber my last trip back to Ohio in January when I was
reintroduced to -5F overnight temps and why I left in the first place.

Awwww, what's a little nip in the air? Weren't any bugs, were there?

My biggest complaint still is (and always will be) that if have to wait
thru more than one light from one end of town to the other, that's far
too much traffic...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dpb" wrote:

Awwww, what's a little nip in the air? Weren't any bugs, were
there?

Where I live, don't have any bugs.

Bugs need water.

Water is in short supply.

Thus no bugs but also no song birds to eat them.

Everthing has a cost.

My biggest complaint still is (and always will be) that if have to
wait thru more than one light from one end of town to the other,
that's far too much traffic...

There still are/were some spots like that in Michigan for instance.

Have sailed into Harrisville, MI a few times which is in the L/P north
of Saginaw Bay on the Lake Huron side.

Harrisville is the county seat and has or had one traffic light.

Last time I was there was 20 years ago, things may have changed.

Where I grew up, 50 miles south of Cleveland, nearest neighbor was 1/4
mile away.

Today, they have cut a road thru the field next door, some of the most
productive farm land in the USA, and built a development.

250 million people at the end of WWII, over 300 million today.

We either reduce breeding or accept that things are going to be more
crowded.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking
LD LD is offline

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message

"dpb" wrote:

[...]

151 million in 1950.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:

250 million people at the end of WWII, over 300 million today.

We either reduce breeding or accept that things are going to be more
crowded.

More croweded? Yeah, but everything is relative.

If you took all the people on earth and stacked them up like cordwood, they
would fit in a cubic mile.

At population density of Hong Kong, everybody on earth would fit in the
former Yugoslavia. Most women would go for this inasmuch as the normal sleep
position would be spoon.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"LD" wrote:

151 million in 1950.

See what happens when youforget to proof read your stuff.

Thank you for the correction.

What I meant to post was 140 million at the end of WWII (pre boomer).

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

HeyBub wrote:
Lew Hodgett wrote:

250 million people at the end of WWII, over 300 million today.

We either reduce breeding or accept that things are going to be more
crowded.

More croweded? Yeah, but everything is relative.

If you took all the people on earth and stacked them up like
cordwood, they would fit in a cubic mile.

At population density of Hong Kong, everybody on earth would fit in
the former Yugoslavia. Most women would go for this inasmuch as the
normal sleep position would be spoon.

And if the entire Earth had the population density of Hong Kong then what
would people eat?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
And if the entire Earth had the population density of Hong Kong then what
would people eat?

Soylent Green

Posted to rec.woodworking
LD LD is offline

"LD" wrote:

151 million in 1950.

See what happens when youforget to proof read your stuff.

Thank you for the correction.

You're welcome. One of the things I truly enjoy about posting is that some
dumb ass with more time than sense will always come along to correct my
errors. )

What I meant to post was 140 million at the end of WWII (pre boomer).

Sounds about right.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking
LD LD is offline

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Lew Hodgett wrote:

250 million people at the end of WWII, over 300 million today.

We either reduce breeding or accept that things are going to be more
crowded.

More croweded? Yeah, but everything is relative.

If you took all the people on earth and stacked them up like cordwood,
they would fit in a cubic mile.

At population density of Hong Kong, everybody on earth would fit in the
former Yugoslavia.

But then, who would want to live in Yugoslavia?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

"dpb" wrote in message
Lew Hodgett wrote:
Subject

Spritz some WD-40 on cast iron saw table, then some 150 wet/dry on a
ROS, a little elbow grease, and all those nasty little rust stains
disappear.

Kerosene, any light oil, water, virtually any other lubricant will do the
same...

--

water????