Posted to rec.woodworking
notbob notbob is offline

Default wd-40

On 2009-07-23, dpb wrote:

But, point was/is "...virtually any other lubricant" will do...nothing
unique about the WD40 for the purpose.

WD40 has one major function that puts it above more pedestrian lubricants.
It displaces water. I had a distributor cap full of condensation and the car
just would not start. One blast of WD40 and she fired right up. OTOH, WD40
is not really a very good lubricant. Better than a poke in the eye, but I
wouldn't use it for anything that requires long lasting lubrication.

As for unique, no. LPS1 is a direct knockoff of WD40 and in my experience,
a superior product in every way. There's even different grades, LPS3 being
a thicker, higher viscosity, version. The one advantage to WD40, you can
buy it almost anywhere. I've even seen it in mini-marts.

nb