John Graser

Default Link belts stretching?

I put a link belt on my Delta Contractor's saw about a year ago. I've
noticed that the saw now tends to bog down more easily when cutting thick
stock than it used to. Do link belts stretch over time, requiring the
removal of some links periodically?

Charlie Self

John Graser asks:

I put a link belt on my Delta Contractor's saw about a year ago. I've
noticed that the saw now tends to bog down more easily when cutting thick
stock than it used to. Do link belts stretch over time, requiring the
removal of some links periodically?

That stretchiness is what makes them so smooth. I''d pull a link or 2 to see if
that helps, if you've checked your blade for suitability and sharpness.

Charlie Self
"Health food makes me sick." Calvin Trillin

http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/m.../business.html
Jim Wilson

John Graser wrote...
Do link belts stretch over time, requiring the
removal of some links periodically?

They do stretch for the first few hours of use. BTW, so do regular v-
belts, at least the good ones. After twenty to twenty-five hours of use
under load, they should be re-tensioned (and possibly have a link
removed). At hobby-duty levels it can take awhile to put 25 hours on a
machine.

Jim
Jim Wilson

Bay Area Dave wrote...
why don't you bend down by your saw and take a look at the belt??

Dave, you missed the point.

Jim

TeamCasa

Why don't you just put on a good quality V-belt. I don't quite understand
this fascination of using an product that was originally
designed to be used as an emergency fan belt with limited life expectancy to
operate machinery. As an aside, quality belts do not stretch measurably.
Sorry John. If the automotive and most other serious machine industries can
rely on them I think the would be the best choice for your contrator saw.

Dave

"John Graser" wrote in message
I put a link belt on my Delta Contractor's saw about a year ago. I've
noticed that the saw now tends to bog down more easily when cutting thick
stock than it used to. Do link belts stretch over time, requiring the
removal of some links periodically?

Bill

VS. belts hold shape when not used often enough or the belt is cold. Hence,
vibration in the blade\machine. A Link-Belt ends that vibration.

"TeamCasa" wrote in message
Why don't you just put on a good quality V-belt. I don't quite understand
this fascination of using an product that was originally
designed to be used as an emergency fan belt with limited life expectancy

operate machinery. As an aside, quality belts do not stretch measurably.
Sorry John. If the automotive and most other serious machine industries

can
rely on them I think the would be the best choice for your contrator saw.

Dave

"John Graser" wrote in message
I put a link belt on my Delta Contractor's saw about a year ago. I've
noticed that the saw now tends to bog down more easily when cutting

thick
stock than it used to. Do link belts stretch over time, requiring the
removal of some links periodically?

News==----

Newsgroups

=---

Bill

Auto spell changed my "V" to a "VS"

"TeamCasa" wrote in message
[...]

---= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via

Encryption
=---

TeamCasa

You are correct, I have the bad habit of thinking everyone live here in
So.Cal. Would not just running your machine for a few minutes to warm-up
the belt serve the same purpose?
Dave

"TeamCasa" wrote in message
[...]

Bay Area Dave

good point. My Powermatic band saw uses a serpentine style belt like
cars made in the past decade and a half. Beats a link belt or a V-belt!
Quiet, smooth power transfer and doesn't stretch as much as V or link.

dave

TeamCasa wrote:

Why don't you just put on a good quality V-belt. I don't quite understand
this fascination of using an product that was originally
designed to be used as an emergency fan belt with limited life expectancy to
operate machinery. As an aside, quality belts do not stretch measurably.
Sorry John. If the automotive and most other serious machine industries can
rely on them I think the would be the best choice for your contrator saw.

Dave

"John Graser" wrote in message

I put a link belt on my Delta Contractor's saw about a year ago. I've
noticed that the saw now tends to bog down more easily when cutting thick
stock than it used to. Do link belts stretch over time, requiring the
removal of some links periodically?

Bill

I can run may table saw 20 minutes before the belt even starts to warm up.
True, it does lessen after a few minutes. It's still very convenient to be
able to start and cut.

"TeamCasa" wrote in message
[...]

100,000
Newsgroups
---= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via

Encryption
=---

News==----

Newsgroups

=---

Jerry Gilreath

Well, thank you Dave! I thought it was just me, but I took a serpentine belt
off my saw to put a link belt on. Had to, obviously, change pulleys too. I
think it, the link belt, made the saw run louder and rougher. I'm going to
pull it off tomorrow and put my old belt back on.

--
"Cartoons don't have any deep meaning.
Homer Simpson

TeamCasa wrote:

[...]

Silvan

TeamCasa wrote:

Why don't you just put on a good quality V-belt. I don't quite understand
this fascination of using an product that was originally
designed to be used as an emergency fan belt with limited life expectancy

Try it and find out. Life expectancy isn't really a critical issue when
it's so easy to put a new one on, and they really *do* dampen vibration
significantly.

Most of my tools have direct drive universal motors still, but one exception
to the rule is my horizontal bandsaw. It used to have so much vibration
that the belt cover would flop around like a fish out of water. After
installing a link belt, it barely flutters. It didn't eliminate all of the
vibration, but it definitely made a marked difference.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

TeamCasa

Michael, If your belt flaps, fix that!

I don't really want to start a circular debate on this. If you and others
are happy - that's fine with me. I'll stick with quality parts.

Dave

"Silvan" wrote in message
TeamCasa wrote:

[...]

http://www.usenet.com

Bay Area Dave

can I get back to you on that, Bill??

Hey, I picked up some Craftsman chisels and they seem fine. Took
forever to get the backs flat and shiny but they seem to hold an edge
much better than the Marples I had purchased at HD last month (and
returned).

dave

TeamCasa wrote:

[...]

john

having spent 40 some odd years busting my knuckles on mainly europeon,
plus a few jap & domestic autos for a living, plus having to endure
the fiasco of dealer/port installed airconditioning, plus the fiasco
York 2 cylinder a/c compressors installed on Piper aircraft has taught
me a few things beltwise. One of the main issues with V belts is the
lack of control of the placement of the plies in the cross section of
the belt. Look at a premium automotive belt & you can see as the belt
passes through the pulley, the reinforcing ply (s) wander all over the
place. The rubber body wears at a different rate than the ply material
& lo & behold the width start to vary & things start to shake. The
serp belts are a huge improvement & a a plus it doesen't have to ride
up & down in the groove as does a V belt. The link belt links are all
ply material (fabric) & allows for easy replication (each link) in the
manufacturing process so chance of defect, uneven wear is reduced.
Also the link assembly flexes much better especially around a small
pulley.

Bay Area Dave

clue me in. I thought the op was asking us if his belt is loose. Harder
to tell from San Jose, than for the operator to make the small amount of
effort to LOOK at the silly thing himself!

dave

Jim Wilson wrote:

Bay Area Dave wrote...

why don't you bend down by your saw and take a look at the belt??

Dave, you missed the point.

Jim

TeamCasa

John, I never said serpentine belts were inferiour to V-belts. On the
contrary, I prefer serpentines to any other type.

OTOH, I feel your pain on the aftermarket/port installed A/Cs. I have had
to repair hundreds.

Dave

"john" wrote in message
[...]

Jim Wilson

Bay Area Dave wrote...
clue me in. I thought the op was asking us if his belt is loose.

No, he was asking if it was normal for link belts to stretch over time.

Jim
Bay Area Dave

so, couldn't he conclude that by looking at his belt? If it was
stretched, he could safely conclude that link belts stretch over
time...sigh.

dave

Jim Wilson wrote:

Bay Area Dave wrote...

clue me in. I thought the op was asking us if his belt is loose.

No, he was asking if it was normal for link belts to stretch over time.

Jim

Doug Miller

In article , Bay Area Dave wrote:
so, couldn't he conclude that by looking at his belt? If it was
stretched, he could safely conclude that link belts stretch over
time...sigh.

No, he could conclude that *his* link belt had stretched over time. I believe
he wanted to know if that is typical behavior for *all* link belts, or if it's
peculiar to his.

--
Regards,

For a copy of my TrollFilter for NewsProxy/Nfilter,
send email to autoresponder at filterinfo-at-milmac-dot-com

Jim Wilson

Bay Area Dave wrote...
so, couldn't he conclude that by looking at his belt?

How could he? He can only inspect one belt.

Jim

Rick

Dave, sigh......

John, I have 4 link belts on various machines for the past year or so. None
have changed length that I can measure.

Rick