Posted to rec.woodworking

Default New Tool

Chrisgiraffe wrote:
Hello fellow woodworkers,
I've invented, patented and will be offering a new tool to the public
soon. I just thought I'd give this forum the heads up. It's a one foot
repeating ruler printed on clear tape that doesn't pull up the surface
when removed. The printing on the tape is red and the name of the
product is Red Tape.

Does it, um, stick to, er, flesh?

Just asking out of curiosity, of course.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"CW" wrote in message
m...

"Joe" wrote in message

Ever notice that Miller never comes around unless he can pick on
somebody?

yes

Hope he doesn't have kids.

There's one in every crowd. :-(

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message

I'm having a diffucult time imagining any practical use.

Same here.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in message
m...
I wonder if they stretch during handling and installation? I can see a
false sense of accuracy and security if they do... looked at the web site
but didn't notice anything about that characteristic. Could have over
looked it though.

It did say on the site that you need to be careful not to stretch it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"HeyBub" wrote ...
Chrisgiraffe wrote:
Hello fellow woodworkers,
I've invented, patented and will be offering a new tool to the public
soon. I just thought I'd give this forum the heads up. It's a one foot
repeating ruler printed on clear tape that doesn't pull up the surface
when removed. The printing on the tape is red and the name of the
product is Red Tape.

Does it, um, stick to, er, flesh?

My wife made a similar remark when I showed this to her. She said it could
be packaged into a "truth kit" for women to document actual size as opposed
to men's exaggerated sense of length and girth. She assured me there would
be a market for such an item.

I told her that very few men would submit to such a ?truth kit?. And not
just fear of the actual measurement either. Most men have a healthy fear of
adhesives in that particular area of their anatomy.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article
,
Chrisgiraffe wrote:
Hello fellow woodworkers,
I've invented, patented and will be offering a new tool to the public
soon. I just thought I'd give this forum the heads up. It's a one
foot
repeating ruler printed on clear tape that doesn't pull up the
surface
when removed. The printing on the tape is red and the name of the
product is Red Tape.

http://www.redtape1.com

Great idea!

You managed to trigger one of my pet peeves, though: there is no such
word as
Its'. Lose the apostrophe.

it's = it is
its = possessive form of "it" (this is what you want instead of its')

There's always one Red Tape guy in the
crowd..........................;-)

Bob S.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 7, 6:05*pm, "DanG" wrote:
I bought the similar tapes at a flea market in Florida. *They were
made of paper with a self adhesive back and were only marked in
quarters. *I mounted one on each side of the *blade on my chop
saw. *I did the same think on the fence on my drill press. *When
you want a handful of 3x3 somethings it sure is easy - no marking,
everything the same. *Many little projects look better with holes
evenly spaced, easy to accomplish on my drill press, again with no
lay out.

If these tapes are of a higher quality material that won't get
rubbed away in use, they could well be worth a very low cost. *For
more accurate work, there are full length self adhesive tapes for
Biesemier, etc. *They run $20 ish.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

wrote in message

Chrisgiraffe writes:

Hehehehe. Hopefully I will get the word out in more than just
an
internet forum. I was just testing the water to see what real
woodworkers think. It's easy to get friendly feedback from
family and
friends but I'd rather have guys shoot it to me straight.
Detours
don't bother me as long as they pass a few fun spots.

I don't mean to rain on your parade and hope I'm not, but after
initial delight in a new idea by an obvious original thinker,
I'm
having second thoughts. *Just what would be a good application
for
your measuring adheasive tape that would justify the expense
over any
other measurng option? *I recall one respondent claiming it was
such a
good idea, he needed it now, but he never elaborated.

I'm having a diffucult time imagining any practical use. *OTOH,
I'm
such a rank noob at woodworking, I don't even qualify as a
novice and
there are many aspect to it I'm sadly ignorant of, hence lack
the
experience to see how your tape might be of help. *I'd be happy
to be
enlightened. *

nb- Hide quoted text -

My woodworking experience moves me to do my best to select the proper
tool for the proper application. I don't think a direct replacement of
hard measuring devices (rulers, metal tape) is practical for all
applications. However, For curves, corners or very long lengths
(plywood, for example), I think it excels. In a plywood application
this would reduce tearout while providing a very true straight line
with very little set up. Also, there are instances where you need to
change your measurements/marks. You would never need to change using
this tape. It can also serve as a very inexpensive alternative to
starrett permanent tapes for jigs. It is just as accurate at a
significantly lower cost. Someone else mentioned how this might aid
layout for a series of holes. As it includes both perpendicular and
parallel lines it can be used for all types of quick layouts. Wrapping
it once around a board will tell you if you have true 90 degree angles
because it's length should equal the sum of the sides if you are-
unless you're cutting a nice trapezoid.

These are some uses, I'm sure there are others I haven't considered,
but I'm not trying to suggest this will replace certain tools. Its
purpose is to fill a gap I found while woodworking.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"I wonder if they stretch during handling and installation? I can see
a false
sense of accuracy and security if they do... looked at the web site
but
didn't notice anything about that characteristic. Could have over
looked it
though. "

They handle as well as metal tapes and, just like metal tapes, they
can give inaccurate results if used improperly (i.e. spooling from the
bumper of a Corvette traveling at 60MPH is very likely to stretch it
out.)

In my tests it has taken quite a bit of force to stretch them to a
point where they will not return to their original shape so the answer
is "no", they will not be stretched out of shape during normal
handling and installation. The best way to apply is with a standard
packaging tape dispenser, pressing the tape downward to the surface as
the tape is unrolled. I do give proper application recommendations on
the 'tape tips' page.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 7, 7:30*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Chrisgiraffe wrote:
Hello fellow woodworkers,
I've invented, patented and will be offering a new tool to the public
soon. I just thought I'd give this forum the heads up. It's a one foot
repeating ruler printed on clear tape that doesn't pull up the surface
when removed. The printing on the tape is red and the name of the
product is Red Tape.

Does it, um, stick to, er, flesh?

Just asking out of curiosity, of course.

Thanks for asking. Funny you might ask. I had this idea that it might
work as a means to take one's own measurements for tailoring, which it
could. To demonstrate I wrapped a piece around my wife's wrist and it
made her look like a sausage. It stuck quite well. In retrospect I
wouldn't suggest using it to take your own measurements because it's
very difficult to align on oneself properly.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee Michaels wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote ...
Chrisgiraffe wrote:
Hello fellow woodworkers,
I've invented, patented and will be offering a new tool to the
public soon. I just thought I'd give this forum the heads up. It's
a one foot repeating ruler printed on clear tape that doesn't pull
up the surface when removed. The printing on the tape is red and
the name of the product is Red Tape.

Does it, um, stick to, er, flesh?

My wife made a similar remark when I showed this to her. She said it
could be packaged into a "truth kit" for women to document actual
size as opposed to men's exaggerated sense of length and girth. She
assured me there would be a market for such an item.

I told her that very few men would submit to such a ?truth kit?. And
not just fear of the actual measurement either. Most men have a
healthy fear of adhesives in that particular area of their anatomy.

There is a theory that that's the reason women are such a poor judge of
distance. They've been told all their life that this (holding thumb and
forefinger moderately apart) is six inches!

The corollary to that is the wisdom imparted by my dear, departed,
grandfather: "Never date a woman with big hands; they make you dick look
small."

Posted to rec.woodworking

Chrisgiraffe wrote:
On Jun 7, 7:30 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Chrisgiraffe wrote:
Hello fellow woodworkers,
I've invented, patented and will be offering a new tool to the
public soon. I just thought I'd give this forum the heads up. It's
a one foot repeating ruler printed on clear tape that doesn't pull
up the surface when removed. The printing on the tape is red and
the name of the product is Red Tape.

Does it, um, stick to, er, flesh?

Just asking out of curiosity, of course.

Thanks for asking. Funny you might ask. I had this idea that it might
work as a means to take one's own measurements for tailoring, which it
could. To demonstrate I wrapped a piece around my wife's wrist and it
made her look like a sausage. It stuck quite well. In retrospect I
wouldn't suggest using it to take your own measurements because it's
very difficult to align on oneself properly.

Who the hell cares about the size of a woman's WRIST? Couldn't you find
something more interesting to report on?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 7, 10:08*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Lee Michaels wrote:
"HeyBub" *wrote ...
Chrisgiraffe wrote:
[...]

small."- Hide quoted text -

I feel like Dean Martin after he has just set up a joke. Perhaps we
should take our act on the road. (long Borat pause...) Not! :-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Somebody wrote:

There is a theory that that's the reason women are such a poor judge
of
distance. They've been told all their life that this (holding thumb
and
forefinger moderately apart) is six inches!

Dang neaar kicked the slats out of the cradle first time I heard that
one.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

"Upscale" wrote in
:

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
I used to tell the tech writers the ultimate test of a good tech
writer was to hard a copy of their work to wife/girlfriend or someone
else who knew nothing about the material, and ask them to read.

That would be a good test for the beginner. One of the things I
learned early on as a technical writer was that there were three types
of people to write for ~ the beginners, the experienced users and the
experts. Each expects information to be disseminated in a certain way.

And I believe that nitpicking has a redeeming feature. Spelling and logic
errors make a writer look un-professional. Colloquial language (including
occasional spelling errors) are fine in newsgroups etc., but a commerical
webpage should be as spotless as can be.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

"Upscale" wrote in
:

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
Like I said, you really should seek therapy. Your posts say a lot
more

about
what kind of person you are than they do about what kind of person I
am.

Such as the fact that you're a confirmed liar so nothing you say can
be taken at face value?

I already know what kind of person I am. I usually speak my mind and
sometimes rush to open my big mouth before I've engaged my brain. But,
that doesn't happen in your case because when you get caught in an
outright lie, it follows you around like the stink of stepping in dog
poop. And you my friend, reek of it.

Sometimes things are best left unsaid, since they impune both the subject
and object. Nitpicking a commercial web page's spelling has value. And
it can be done in an upbuilding fashion.

--
Best regards
Han

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Chrisgiraffe" wrote in message
I feel like Dean Martin after he has just set up a joke. Perhaps we
should take our act on the road. (long Borat pause...) Not! :-)

Hey, you never know, you could be well on your way to being the next
multi-millionaire sex shop owner. Mail order, internet sales ~ the world
could be yours for the taking.

That wouldn't be so bad would it? G

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 8, 6:35*am, Han wrote:
"Upscale" wrote :

[...]

I agree. Pointing out an error can be constructive. Somebody with the
slightest bit of class would have done so behind the scenes in a
private e-mail. Miller, however, loves to point out such errors, not
to assist, but to gloat about how fantastically bright he was to have
discovered the error and in the process trying to elevate himself at
the expense of somebody's innocuous error. In other words, it
illustrates exactly what Miller is about, a guy who thrives on other
peoples mistakes, a parasite.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Chrisgiraffe wrote:
Hello fellow woodworkers,
I've invented, patented and will be offering a new tool to the public
soon. I just thought I'd give this forum the heads up. It's a one foot
repeating ruler printed on clear tape that doesn't pull up the surface
when removed. The printing on the tape is red and the name of the
product is Red Tape.

http://www.redtape1.com

Sincerely,

Chris

It looks like it would be worth it just for jigs, but I'm not sure it
would replace my metal tape. I recently made the shopnotes thin strip
ripping jig, and I only need 1.5" of a 12" adhesive rule at $7. I
couldn't bring myself to spend that much and just cut off the first 1.5".

Greg M

Posted to rec.woodworking

It looks like it would be worth it just for jigs, but I'm not sure it
would replace my metal tape. I recently made the shopnotes thin strip
ripping jig, and I only need 1.5" of a 12" adhesive rule at $7. I
couldn't bring myself to spend that much and just cut off the first 1.5".

Greg M

Hi Greg. I agree. I don't plan on throwing my metal tapes to the wind.
Red Tape is not a wonder-tool, no tool can be, but it does have
certain applications it works well for. I have Starrett metal adhesive
tape (which I love) on a couple of jigs but never cared for the price
or limiting factors (as you mentioned, buy a 6' roll just to cut off
the first 1.5")- especially if it's just a quick make-do jig that I
may use for one project then toss.

Thanks for the valuable comments.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 7, 1:11*am, Chrisgiraffe wrote:
Hello fellow woodworkers,
I've invented, patented and will be offering a new tool to the public
soon. I just thought I'd give this forum the heads up. It's a one foot
repeating ruler printed on clear tape that doesn't pull up the surface
when removed. The printing on the tape is red and the name of the
product is Red Tape.

http://www.redtape1.com

Sincerely,

Chris

Just a quick follow up. The Red Tape website is fully up, corrected
(thank you for the feedback and suggestions) and ready for orders.
Rolls are priced at $6.50.

Thanks again for the helpful suggestions to all!
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

Actually in Texas for example every one is liable to pay a "tax" on
goods regardless of where the goods were purchased if you bring the
goods back to Texas. This particular "Use Tax", not sales tax is
just an example of hundreds of taxes that are very often technically
owed but not paid. I be surprised if other states have similar taxes.

If we banded together, we could put an end to this nonsense.

What if a thousand people per day sent notes to the state comptroller, all
with the message:

"I bought something online for $5.00. Here's my "use tax" of thirty cents.
Enclosed please find a quarter and a nickle."

Or

"I got a package of birthday cookies from Aunt Fiona. The dog wouldn't even
sniff 'em. Nevertheless, I'm enclosing my state "Use Tax" based on their
estimated worth. There's a penny in the envelope. Please forward a receipt.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Leon wrote:

Actually in Texas for example every one is liable to pay a "tax" on
goods regardless of where the goods were purchased if you bring the
goods back to Texas. This particular "Use Tax", not sales tax is
just an example of hundreds of taxes that are very often technically
owed but not paid. I be surprised if other states have similar taxes.

If we banded together, we could put an end to this nonsense.

What if a thousand people per day sent notes to the state comptroller, all
with the message:

"I bought something online for $5.00. Here's my "use tax" of thirty cents.
Enclosed please find a quarter and a nickle."

Actually, I know some one very very personaly ;~) that sees that happen
every day. They would be glad to take your money. And uh, you would owe
41 cents. ;

Or

"I got a package of birthday cookies from Aunt Fiona. The dog wouldn't
even sniff 'em. Nevertheless, I'm enclosing my state "Use Tax" based on
their estimated worth. There's a penny in the envelope. Please forward a
receipt.

See above answer. You would have to fill out the paper work for the payment
and that is a lot of trouble, more trouble than the point you were trying to
make would be worth. AND, IIRC if the paperwork is not proper the payment
or overage would go into the general accounts fund.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"HeyBub" wrote in message news:i-
"I bought something online for $5.00. Here's my "use tax" of thirty cents.
Enclosed please find a quarter and a nickle."

You'd probably get more attention if you all sent cheques for that thirty
cents. I was doing some business once with a lawyer working at the time with
a law firm. He went on his own and I went with him. The firm sent me a
cheque for $0.05 cents just to ensure their books were balanced. I never
cashed the cheque just to irritate them for being so anal.