Posted to rec.woodworking

Default 10" SCMS reccomendations

I'm in the market for a 10" sliding compound miter saw.
Reviews on the web tend to favor the Bosch 4410L, then the
Makita, then Hitachi and Ridgid. Does anyone out there have
comparative exprience, especially with the Bosch and Makita?

I have no local dealer for Bosch; HD carries Makita,
and I found I really like the horizontal handle that the other
makers have (vs. the vertical handle of the Makita).

This will be mounted to a rolling stand, and used in the shop --
main desired attribute is accuracy and ease of use and adjustment.

-- Andy Barss
Posted to rec.woodworking

I have read that the Bosch is great at first but the detents get
sloppy real quick.

Hitachi always seems to be solid and used by lots of pro's in cabinet
shops but not as nice ergonimically as some others.

I was doing some shopping in this area recently but was looking for
12". I found the reviews on Amazon under each product very helpful.
Also, when you find a product with little or no reviews you can kind
of assume it isn't selling well, be that what it may.

On May 27, 1:28*pm, Andrew Barss wrote:
I'm in the market for a 10" sliding compound miter saw.
Reviews on the web tend to favor the Bosch 4410L, then the
Makita, then Hitachi and Ridgid. Does anyone out there have
comparative exprience, especially with the Bosch and Makita?

I have no local dealer for Bosch; HD carries Makita,
and I found I really like the horizontal handle that the other
makers have (vs. the vertical handle of the Makita).

This will be mounted to a rolling stand, and used in the shop --
main desired attribute is accuracy and ease of use and adjustment.

* * * * -- Andy Barss

Posted to rec.woodworking

Andrew Barss wrote:
I'm in the market for a 10" sliding compound miter saw.
Reviews on the web tend to favor the Bosch 4410L, then the
Makita, then Hitachi and Ridgid. Does anyone out there have
comparative exprience, especially with the Bosch and Makita?

I have no local dealer for Bosch; HD carries Makita,
and I found I really like the horizontal handle that the other
makers have (vs. the vertical handle of the Makita).

This will be mounted to a rolling stand, and used in the shop --
main desired attribute is accuracy and ease of use and adjustment.

-- Andy Barss

I don't have comparative experience but I've owned a Makita LS1013 for
about 10 years. It gets used frequently for everything from framing,
siding, cabinetry (including crown molding), etc. It did require a few
minor adjustments when it came out of the box but it's remained dead
nuts accurate since. The saw has even been dropped twice when it was
tipped off a couple of saw horses on a job site. It didn't knock it out
of alignment or hurt the saw. Occasionally saw dust will build up in
the detent stops, especially when framing with wet pine. Blowing out
the base with an air compressor clears the detents.

It's a great saw.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 27, 6:07*pm, Nova wrote:
Andrew Barss wrote:
[...]

We've got a couple Makita 12" sliders in the shop. The bevel function
totally crapped out on one of them. For just plain miters it's good.
I used a Bosch on a week-long install and loved it - better than the
Makita - but I don't know about longevity. We've got a couple Dewalts
too, and they're pretty good. If you keep them clean and tuned and
put on a good sharp blade, I think they're all pretty acceptable -
Dewalt, Bosch, Makita, Hitachi - and Milwaukee too, although I've
never used one. If you can afford it take a look at the new Festool
10" SCMS. Supposed to be great, but man I'd be nervous lugging that
thing in and out of the truck and around a jobsite!

If I were buying one today, I'd get the Bosch.

JP
Posted to rec.woodworking

I bought the Bosch 3915 from Amazon for $350 in 2004 after it had been
discontinued. Sonoma was correct about the detents getting sloppy
after a while. (The detents on the mechanism that slides the blade
guard out of the way.)

If I had paid full price, I'd probably be unhappy but the problem is
not critical. Just some resistance at the top of the pull. I used
masking tape for a while, now I just live with it. It still cuts nice
and square. I have to use force to start the pull but not enough to be
dangerous. When it's hooked up to the shop vac the dust isn't too bad
but there is some. I've got it on a homemade rolling stand with hinged
wings.

I'm not completely happy with it because of the detents but it's the
most-used tool in my shop. I can say that while the detents got kind
of sloppy pretty quick, they never got worse and it doesn't make the
saw unusable or less safe.

I had heard that the later models dealt with that detent issue. Can't
say. Over the last five years this one has gotten a lot of workouts in
many major projects and a lot of "We'll just knock a half inch off
this and she'll fit just fine" uses. Pretty dependable. It's the one
tool that always gets used in any project. Sliders have stayed
adjusted. No slop anywhere except for that detent.

I consider it worth the money but if I'd spent 500 and change on it, I
would probably not be so happy. :-)