Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Funny feeling in hands after "odorless mineral spirits"

I thought that woodworkers would have more experience with this sort
of thing.

I had to wash some parts in odorless mineral spirits (which is not
really odorless). I mostly used my right hand to grap parts from the
tank. Now I have a "funny feeling" whenever I would fold my hand to
make a fist, as if the hairs on the back of the palm rise.

It cannot possibly be good? Any comments? Gloves seem to be a must?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 15, 11:05*pm, TD Driver
wrote:

You might want to take that hand over to the local urgent care center.
This one comes under the ounce of prevention rule.

I couldn't agree more. There is NO reason to take a chance with this
stuff, or any other thinners or solvents.

You can go to HF and get a ton (100?) of nitrile gloves for $10. They
are powdered so they actually come out of the box even after you have
them a month or three.

All solvents are dangerous, and with gloves so cheap, there is no
reason not to use them.

As a word of warning and food for thought: ever see an old
professional painter?

If so, ever see one that is a well man?

Do yourself a favor. Get the nitrile gloves on the cheap from HF, use
the hell out of them, and get some proper respiratory equipment to
protect yourself when using any solvents or solvent based materials.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

Just listen to CW I have used OMS for Years same thing just wash your hands
with soap and water and apply some hand lotion, or just wash and do nothing
it will go away quickly.

Leonard

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 15, 11:50*pm, Ignoramus26671 ignoramus26...@NOSPAM.
26671.invalid wrote:
I thought that woodworkers would have more experience with this sort
of thing.

I had to wash some parts in odorless mineral spirits (which is not
really odorless). I mostly used my right hand to grap parts from the
tank. Now I have a "funny feeling" whenever I would fold my hand to
make a fist, as if the hairs on the back of the palm rise.

It cannot possibly be good? Any comments? Gloves seem to be a must?

Make it a habit to read first and play with the chemicals after.
Google whatever the chemical is and MSDS. Pretty much anything you
wouldn't drink, you should wear gloves.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 16, 12:01*am, RicodJour wrote:

Pretty much anything you
wouldn't drink, you should wear gloves.

Now that is a pretty good rule of thumb.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 16, 1:05*am, "
wrote:
On May 16, 12:01*am, RicodJour wrote:

Pretty much anything you
wouldn't drink, you should wear gloves.

Now that *is a pretty good rule of thumb.

You don't know the stuff I drink.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"RicodJour" wrote:

=====================================
Make it a habit to read first and play with the chemicals after.
Google whatever the chemical is and MSDS. Pretty much anything you
wouldn't drink, you should wear gloves.
==================================

Trip to H/F and $5 will get you a box of latex surgical gloves.

Add a couple of $ for nitrile.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 16, 12:18*am, RicodJour wrote:

Now that *is a pretty good rule of thumb.

You don't know the stuff I drink. *

Yikes! LMAO!!

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ignoramus26671 wrote:
I thought that woodworkers would have more experience with this sort
of thing.

I had to wash some parts in odorless mineral spirits (which is not
really odorless). I mostly used my right hand to grap parts from the
tank. Now I have a "funny feeling" whenever I would fold my hand to
make a fist, as if the hairs on the back of the palm rise.

It cannot possibly be good? Any comments? Gloves seem to be a must?

Probably just sensitization.

More exposure will desensitize your skin. Rinse your hands daily in the
stuff, and soon you'll not feel a thing.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ignoramus26671" wrote in message
I thought that woodworkers would have more experience with this sort
of thing.

I had to wash some parts in odorless mineral spirits (which is not
really odorless). I mostly used my right hand to grap parts from the
tank. Now I have a "funny feeling" whenever I would fold my hand to
make a fist, as if the hairs on the back of the palm rise.

It cannot possibly be good? Any comments? Gloves seem to be a must?

I'd get a funny feeling when making a fist and holding something tight. It
was a good feeling though.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 16, 12:12*am, "
wrote:

You can go to HF and get a ton (100?) of nitrile gloves for $10. *

Made me laugh me arse off..

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ignoramus26671 wrote:
I thought that woodworkers would have more experience with this sort
of thing.

I had to wash some parts in odorless mineral spirits (which is not
really odorless). I mostly used my right hand to grap parts from the
tank. Now I have a "funny feeling" whenever I would fold my hand to
make a fist, as if the hairs on the back of the palm rise.

It cannot possibly be good? Any comments? Gloves seem to be a must?

I agree with CW that hand lotion should take care of the problem
although I'm still trying to figure out the "hairs on the back of the
palm" part. It sounds interesting! :-)

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 16, 11:14*am, Robatoy wrote:
On May 16, 12:12*am, "
wrote:

You can go to HF and get a ton (100?) of nitrile gloves for $10. *

Made me laugh me arse off..

Well, I had to see if you were out there!

;^)

Besides - these were really heavy gloves!

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

You can go to HF and get a ton (100?) of nitrile gloves for $10. *

Made me laugh me arse off..

Well, I had to see if you were out there!

* ;^)

Besides - these were really heavy gloves!

The kind doctors wear when doing prostrate exams in a neighbourhood
where the main diet consists of burritos?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

wrote:
You can go to HF and get a ton (100?) of nitrile gloves for $10.
Made me laugh me arse off..

Well, I had to see if you were out there!

;^)

Besides - these were really heavy gloves!

The kind doctors wear when doing prostrate exams in a neighbourhood
where the main diet consists of burritos?

And only if one or both of you are lying down...
Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 17, 5:26*pm, Robatoy wrote:

Besides - these were really heavy gloves!

The kind doctors wear when doing prostrate exams in a neighbourhood
where the main diet consists of burritos?

Exactly! Think Colin Clive in the lab in Frankenstein. ;^)

Robert

mineral spirits Lee Woodworking 7 September 9th 07 12:34 PM
Bihari Essay on "Indian Cow" very funny ,..must read raj Home Repair 0 December 12th 06 08:59 AM
Bihari Essay on "Indian Cow" very funny ,..must read avtar Woodworking 0 December 12th 06 08:49 AM
Removing smell of mineral spirits [email protected] Home Ownership 1 February 22nd 05 05:26 PM