Puff Griffis

Default best blades for resawing

I will only answer you if you make me a jumbo. That sounds like a =
Larrivee and looks like a piece of art grin
Puff

"mad mountain" wrote in message =
I have just ordered the minmax MM16 bandsaw and bought it for the =

specific
reason of resawing wood for building guitars. I would appreciate =

some
experiential advise on the best blades to use for resawing. I have =

looked
at the articles out there and they mention timberwolf but others say =

stay
with a thin kerf blade like the wood slicer. (woodslicer not =

available in
the 145 inch length unless you know of source). Some articles say =

stay with
a good quality of carbon blade or the lenox bimetal.
=20
The type of wood I will be resawing is from spruce tops to cocobolo =

and
murtelwood backs and sides.
=20
thanks for the input.
=20
madman
=20

DarylRos

(woodslicer not available in
the 145 inch length unless you know of source). Some articles say stay with
a good quality of carbon blade or the lenox bimetal.

Highland Hardware, makers of the Woodslicer, will indeed sell you a 145" blade.

I have the MM16 also, and use the Lennox carbide blade. MiniMax will sell you
the 1", but I've been told it's too large for the MM16, and the band will
eventually break. I got the 1/2" from Iturra Design. It's an expensive blade,
but it's an expensive saw, and worth the best.
BruceR

I have a MM16 and bought a timberwolf 1" 3TPI blade for resawing.
I was not too impressed, blade acts dull when resawing 10-12" white oak.

Advice I got was to try a 2TPI blade or a blade from another company
(highland hardware) or go carbide.

-Bruce

"mad mountain" wrote in message ...

I have just ordered the minmax MM16 bandsaw and bought it for the specific
reason of resawing wood for building guitars. I would appreciate some
experiential advise on the best blades to use for resawing. I have looked
at the articles out there and they mention timberwolf but others say stay
with a thin kerf blade like the wood slicer. (woodslicer not available in
the 145 inch length unless you know of source). Some articles say stay with
a good quality of carbon blade or the lenox bimetal.

The type of wood I will be resawing is from spruce tops to cocobolo and
murtelwood backs and sides.

thanks for the input.

madman

tmbg

I have a grizzly 18", and I had a 1" wide 3TPI on it, and resawing
performance was horrid. I bought a woodslicer, and now resawing is the
most fun thing I do. It seriously just slides right through it... I can
feed three times faster, the sawn surface is smooth, it doesnt lead much.
It was totally worth the money. Yours will cost a bit more because you'll
have to order a custom length probably, but they can and will make you
one.

Trust me... get it!

btw, are you making acoustics or electrics? I want to learn a little
about making both... drop me an email if you don't mind -
ufc at asmhacker dot org

thanks

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 10:35:28 -0700, mad mountain wrote:

I have just ordered the minmax MM16 bandsaw and bought it for the specific
reason of resawing wood for building guitars. I would appreciate some
experiential advise on the best blades to use for resawing. I have looked
at the articles out there and they mention timberwolf but others say stay
with a thin kerf blade like the wood slicer. (woodslicer not available in
the 145 inch length unless you know of source). Some articles say stay with
a good quality of carbon blade or the lenox bimetal.

The type of wood I will be resawing is from spruce tops to cocobolo and
murtelwood backs and sides.

thanks for the input.

madman

TeamCasa

I had them make a 123" 3tpi for my 16" Jet. $40 bucks - cuts like a
sombitch very straight and clean cuts. Call them and they will recommend a
blade type and set you will like.

http://bandsawblade.com

Dave

"tmbg" wrote in message
news
[...]

John Crea

With the MM16, FORGET the Lenox Carbide, they suffer from early
failure on machines that small.

Timberwolf and WoodSlicer ARE available in custom lengths, so that is
not a problem

Have not heard if the Lenox bi-metal has the same problems as the
carbide

John
wrote:

I have just ordered the minmax MM16 bandsaw and bought it for the specific
reason of resawing wood for building guitars. I would appreciate some
experiential advise on the best blades to use for resawing. I have looked
at the articles out there and they mention timberwolf but others say stay
with a thin kerf blade like the wood slicer. (woodslicer not available in
the 145 inch length unless you know of source). Some articles say stay with
a good quality of carbon blade or the lenox bimetal.

The type of wood I will be resawing is from spruce tops to cocobolo and
murtelwood backs and sides.

thanks for the input.

madman

Alan W

tmbg wrote in message . ..
I have a grizzly 18", and I had a 1" wide 3TPI on it, and resawing
performance was horrid. I bought a woodslicer, and now resawing is the
most fun thing I do. It seriously just slides right through it... I can
feed three times faster, the sawn surface is smooth, it doesnt lead much.
It was totally worth the money. Yours will cost a bit more because you'll
have to order a custom length probably, but they can and will make you
one.

The surface of the cut brings up an interesting question. I currently
am using a 4TPI 3/4" Timberwolf for resawing. The surface is not
smooth, but a few passes from a handplane makes a great surface.
Wondering if some of you could post photos of your hard woods after
going through the resaw process.

Later tonight I will be able to do the same on a piece of purpleheart.

Alan
Bestest Handsander

I agree with what has been posted here. I have used the 1" and found it
mostly useless. Now it hangs on the wall and impresses visitors. The
woodslicer is sold by Highland Hardware in 145". It does a good job. The
Lenox blades do even better, but you're starting in a case of diminishing
returns. You can buy roughly four woodslicers for 1 lenox. It is not 4
times better. Will it last four times longer? Time will tell.

BTW... you'll love the Mini Max. I've had one for 1.5 years. The only thing
better than the saw is the company that sells it. Class act.

"tmbg" wrote in message
news
[...]

tmbg

The surface is not finish smooth, it still needs a bit of handplaning, but
my old 1" blade left a surface with a checkerboard pattern where the lands
were a full 1/32" proud of the pits. After resurfacing, there wasnt much
wood left

but yeah, woodslicing has become a joyous activity in my shop

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 07:10:55 -0800, Alan W wrote:

tmbg wrote in message . ..
[...]

markm

madman,

I do quite a bit of resawing and have come to love Lennox carbide blades.
Bothe their 3/4" and 1" blades that I have work really well. They are
relativly expensive but seem to last forever, meaning I have had them for
about 4 years and they cut like new. They also leave a nice smooth finish.
I also have a 3/8" and 1/2" from them that I use with great satisfaction.

mark