BErney1014

Default how, router ovals

I'm looking for a site showing how to rout an oval. No luck so far. I'm
regluing a warped round butcher block table top. After the rip cuts are made it
will be changed to an oval. Any diy sites hiding?
mp

I'm looking for a site showing how to rout an oval. No luck so far. I'm
regluing a warped round butcher block table top. After the rip cuts are

made it
will be changed to an oval. Any diy sites hiding?

Here's an idea

http://www.nicks.ca/Toolkits.html#oval

I've seen various plans for DIY oval jigs over the years. If you're near a
decent bookstore or library check out some the of router books and
jig-building books.

John Crea

Draw an oval, use that to make a template and then use a pattern
cutting bit on the router and the template

John

On 07 Feb 2004 17:50:44 GMT, (BErney1014) wrote:

I'm looking for a site showing how to rout an oval. No luck so far. I'm
regluing a warped round butcher block table top. After the rip cuts are made it
will be changed to an oval. Any diy sites hiding?

Morris Dovey

BErney1014 wrote:

I'm looking for a site showing how to rout an oval. No luck so far. I'm
regluing a warped round butcher block table top. After the rip cuts are made it
will be changed to an oval. Any diy sites hiding?

The easy and inexpensive way: draw the oval on a piece of 1/4"
plywood and cut it out - I'd use a bandsaw to cut it slightly
oversize and a sander to trim it to the line.

Clamp this template to your top and rout it to shape - perhaps
routing one side, then "leapfrogging" the clamps and routing the
other side.

You can construct an oval template using a pencil, two push pins
and a string loop. Push the two pins into the long centerline of
the oval, put the string loop around them, and pull the string
snug with the pencil point. With the string snugged by the
pencil, draw the largest shape you can around the pins.

You can find useful info on spacing the pins and string length
with a Google search on "ellipse major minor pin string".

HTH
--
Morris Dovey
West Des Moines, Iowa USA

Frank Campbell

In article , BErney1014
wrote:

I'm looking for a site showing how to rout an oval. No luck so far. I'm
regluing a warped round butcher block table top. After the rip cuts are made
it
will be changed to an oval. Any diy sites hiding?

There are two methods of laying out an ellipse he
http://benchnotes.com/Laying%20out%2...ut_an_oval.htm

--
http://sawdustmaking.com
BErney1014

Thanks,
I will make a 1/4 template and flip, flop, flip to complete the cuts with a
pattern bit. I'll use the pin & string to layout the oval and template.
There are 24 boards in the top; 3" to ripping and another inch to jointing
resquaring the top to flat. It won't be a drastic elipse.