Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Question on routers and router tables

PCPaul wrote:
On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 19:29:33 -0500, Tom Veatch wrote:

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 21:02:48 GMT, PCPaul wrote:

Does anybody run a wobble blade or dado in a RAS anyway? I know I
don't but then over here in the UK we're not allowed to have dado
blades anyway, even on table saws, because they are too big and
scary.

I very well could be mistaken, but I thought the European
"prohibition" on dado blades was due to a short "spin-down" time
requirement that was difficult or impossible for a high-inertia dado
blade to meet.

If I'm wrong, it wouldn't hurt my feelings to be corrected, but if my
understanding is correct, perhaps some sort of brake could shorten
the coasting time enough to bring dado blades within the regulatory
requirement.

I really don't know why, and since I have a cupboardful of routers it
hasn't really been an issue - but I can see how for lots of jobs a RAS
with a dado could be a very quick solution.

FWIW, wobble and regular dado blades work fine on mine.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"PCPaul" wrote in message
On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 19:29:33 -0500, Tom Veatch wrote:

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 21:02:48 GMT, PCPaul wrote:

Does anybody run a wobble blade or dado in a RAS anyway? I know I don't
but then over here in the UK we're not allowed to have dado blades
anyway, even on table saws, because they are too big and scary.

snip

I ran a wobble dado blade on my radial arm saw - Once! :-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

I ran one for years. They are a bit crazy to run.

I found it a bit small in diameter - I thin mine was 5 or 6".

I now have a wonderful set of stackable ones that do all sorts
of sizes. I was doing a job and the job bought me a new blade set.

Martin

Lowell Holmes wrote:
"PCPaul" wrote in message
On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 19:29:33 -0500, Tom Veatch wrote:

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 21:02:48 GMT, PCPaul wrote:

Does anybody run a wobble blade or dado in a RAS anyway? I know I don't
but then over here in the UK we're not allowed to have dado blades
anyway, even on table saws, because they are too big and scary.

snip

I ran a wobble dado blade on my radial arm saw - Once! :-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Upscale" wrote in
:

"Leon" wrote in message
I have the bigger model and bought it when it was originally in the
$300 range and was the only Triton router choice and do not regret
paying more.

One other question. Did you remove the springs from the plunge
mechanism for use in the table?

I did remove the plunge springs from mine, it made the adjusting easier.
If you go this route be aware that the spring is under a lot of tension
and will fly out of the plunge tube even though you are holding on to the
cap. DAMHIKT!!
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Upscale" wrote in message

"Leon" wrote in message
I have the bigger model and bought it when it was originally in the $300
range and was the only Triton router choice and do not regret paying
more.

One other question. Did you remove the springs from the plunge mechanism
for
use in the table?

Yes, however the spring is "intended" to be removed easily. Remove a plug
and take out the spring.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote in message

Leon wrote:
Of course it's not a deal breaker, but I equate it with the euphoria you
have after buying your first cordless drill or pneumatic nailer.
You're like, "How the he!! did I ever get anything done before I had
this!?" :-)

No, Steve indicated that it might be a deal breaker in the future.
Agreed, if you have it you probably appreciate it more.

I can't speak for Steve. I speak for -MIKE-.

Sorry Mike.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
"-MIKE-" wrote in message
Leon wrote:
Of course it's not a deal breaker, but I equate it with the euphoria you
have after buying your first cordless drill or pneumatic nailer.
You're like, "How the he!! did I ever get anything done before I had
this!?" :-)

No, Steve indicated that it might be a deal breaker in the future.
Agreed, if you have it you probably appreciate it more.

I can't speak for Steve. I speak for -MIKE-.

Sorry Mike.

Just razzin ya, brother.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Router tables. A.Lee UK diy 9 September 26th 07 10:14 PM
Why use a plate on router tables? toller Woodworking 22 May 14th 05 04:48 AM
Corian router tables? toller Woodworking 34 April 23rd 05 11:22 PM
cnc router tables Peter King Metalworking 0 December 9th 04 03:22 PM
Router Tables Malcolm Webb Woodworking 14 October 7th 04 06:50 PM