Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Question on routers and router tables

PCPaul wrote:
On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 19:29:33 -0500, Tom Veatch wrote:

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 21:02:48 GMT, PCPaul wrote:

Does anybody run a wobble blade or dado in a RAS anyway? I know I
don't but then over here in the UK we're not allowed to have dado
blades anyway, even on table saws, because they are too big and
scary.

I very well could be mistaken, but I thought the European
"prohibition" on dado blades was due to a short "spin-down" time
requirement that was difficult or impossible for a high-inertia dado
blade to meet.

If I'm wrong, it wouldn't hurt my feelings to be corrected, but if my
understanding is correct, perhaps some sort of brake could shorten
the coasting time enough to bring dado blades within the regulatory
requirement.

I really don't know why, and since I have a cupboardful of routers it
hasn't really been an issue - but I can see how for lots of jobs a RAS
with a dado could be a very quick solution.

FWIW, wobble and regular dado blades work fine on mine.