Posted to rec.woodworking

Default DeWalt 733 planer *thunk*

Have a few year old DeWalt 733 that recently started behavior of
making a loud "thunk" noise as board is fed through machine. When
this happens, the board stops dead in it's tracks (only for a
millisecond), it continues through, and then there is usually a divot
in the board where the thunk occurred. It was a gradual thing at
first, but now it happens regularly. I replaced the blades today with
new ones...same thing. I cleaned the rollers with denatured alcohol,
have even tried 120grit sandpaper on them, and waxed the in/out feed
tables...same thing. I'm planing poplar if it matters at all. I'm
only planing 1/64" or so when this happens, but it happens at other
removal thicknesses also. Is my next stop the service center??

Cheers
Posted to rec.woodworking

" wrote:

Have a few year old DeWalt 733 that recently started behavior of
making a loud "thunk" noise as board is fed through machine.

snip
Is my next stop the service center??

Call tech service on the 800# first.

They were very helpful to me on a planer problem.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 15, 5:28*pm, " wrote:
Have a few year old DeWalt 733 that recently started behavior of
making a loud "thunk" noise as board is fed through machine. *When
this happens, the board stops dead in it's tracks (only for a
millisecond), it continues through, and then there is usually a divot
in the board where the thunk occurred. *It was a gradual thing at
first, but now it happens regularly. *I replaced the blades today with
new ones...same thing. *I cleaned the rollers with denatured alcohol,
have even tried 120grit sandpaper on them, and waxed the in/out feed
tables...same thing. *I'm planing poplar if it matters at all. *I'm
only planing 1/64" or so when this happens, but it happens at other
removal thicknesses also. *Is my next stop the service center??

Cheers

Sounds like it is skipping a tooth in the roller drive.
Best you listen to uncle Lew.
Posted to rec.woodworking

" wrote in message
Have a few year old DeWalt 733 that recently started behavior of
making a loud "thunk" noise as board is fed through machine. When
this happens, the board stops dead in it's tracks (only for a
millisecond), it continues through, and then there is usually a divot
in the board where the thunk occurred. It was a gradual thing at
first, but now it happens regularly. I replaced the blades today with
new ones...same thing. I cleaned the rollers with denatured alcohol,
have even tried 120grit sandpaper on them, and waxed the in/out feed
tables...same thing. I'm planing poplar if it matters at all. I'm
only planing 1/64" or so when this happens, but it happens at other
removal thicknesses also. Is my next stop the service center??

Cheers

Perhaps a "key" that indexes the feed rollers to a drive gear.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Remove the guard over the chain drive for the rollers and I bet you will
find that the chain keeps jumping a tooth on one of the sprockets. This is
due to stretch in the chain. You need to replace the chain. I own a tool
repair shop and I have had to replace several of these for customers who had
the same symptoms.
Doug

" wrote in message
Have a few year old DeWalt 733 that recently started behavior of
making a loud "thunk" noise as board is fed through machine. When
this happens, the board stops dead in it's tracks (only for a
millisecond), it continues through, and then there is usually a divot
in the board where the thunk occurred. It was a gradual thing at
first, but now it happens regularly. I replaced the blades today with
new ones...same thing. I cleaned the rollers with denatured alcohol,
have even tried 120grit sandpaper on them, and waxed the in/out feed
tables...same thing. I'm planing poplar if it matters at all. I'm
only planing 1/64" or so when this happens, but it happens at other
removal thicknesses also. Is my next stop the service center??

Cheers

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Doug S wrote:
Remove the guard over the chain drive for the rollers and I bet you will
find that the chain keeps jumping a tooth on one of the sprockets. This is
due to stretch in the chain. You need to replace the chain. I own a tool
repair shop and I have had to replace several of these for customers who had
the same symptoms.

They don't have an adjustment idler? Any way to add one (even an
old-style wooden slide block) if not?

Can't remove a link?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Took it apart and the chain has a bad link. Stiff as can be. Tried
flexing it back & forth. Gave up & ordered $4 replacement chain from
repair center.

Thanks for all the help!
Happy St. Paddy's

" wrote in message

Have a few year old DeWalt 733 that recently started behavior of
making a loud "thunk" noise as board is fed through machine. *When
this happens, the board stops dead in it's tracks (only for a
millisecond), it continues through, and then there is usually a divot
in the board where the thunk occurred. *It was a gradual thing at
first, but now it happens regularly. *I replaced the blades today with
new ones...same thing. *I cleaned the rollers with denatured alcohol,
have even tried 120grit sandpaper on them, and waxed the in/out feed
tables...same thing. *I'm planing poplar if it matters at all. *I'm
only planing 1/64" or so when this happens, but it happens at other
removal thicknesses also. *Is my next stop the service center??

Cheers

Posted to rec.woodworking

FYI if this happens again and you need to get up and running quick: Based on
my recollections of the chain size, a chain tool from a bicycle shop would
probably fix it... you can adjust how tight a link is with the tool. I've
had one of those tools for years due to my affection for cycling. In fact,
I've been thinking about doing another big trip in 2011 from coast to coast,
25 years after my 3,142 mile trip. I wonder if the finishes and wood dust
have affected me? :~)

" wrote in message

Have a few year old DeWalt 733 that recently started behavior of
making a loud "thunk" noise as board is fed through machine. When
this happens, the board stops dead in it's tracks (only for a
millisecond), it continues through, and then there is usually a divot
in the board where the thunk occurred. It was a gradual thing at
first, but now it happens regularly. I replaced the blades today with
new ones...same thing. I cleaned the rollers with denatured alcohol,
have even tried 120grit sandpaper on them, and waxed the in/out feed
tables...same thing. I'm planing poplar if it matters at all. I'm
only planing 1/64" or so when this happens, but it happens at other
removal thicknesses also. Is my next stop the service center??

Cheers

Posted to rec.woodworking

Good tip; I'm a cyclist also, and have a chain breaker. Unfortunately
this chain appears to be a little larger than what my chain tool
accepts and I ended up tearing up the chain breaker in my haste to try
and get the planer back up & running. It was not a good Park Tool
quality breaker mind you but a knock-off chiwainese one that I've only
used one other time. As always, buy the best and cry once.

I'd like to do a coast to coast also, if I could just get this pesky
think called employment out of the way!

Cheers

" wrote in message

Have a few year old DeWalt 733 that recently started behavior of
making a loud "thunk" noise as board is fed through machine. When
this happens, the board stops dead in it's tracks (only for a
millisecond), it continues through, and then there is usually a divot
in the board where the thunk occurred. It was a gradual thing at
first, but now it happens regularly. I replaced the blades today with
new ones...same thing. I cleaned the rollers with denatured alcohol,
have even tried 120grit sandpaper on them, and waxed the in/out feed
tables...same thing. I'm planing poplar if it matters at all. I'm
only planing 1/64" or so when this happens, but it happens at other
removal thicknesses also. Is my next stop the service center??

Cheers

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 18-Mar-2009, " wrote:

I'd like to do a coast to coast also, if I could just get this pesky
think called employment out of the way!

I've got some unemployment I don't really need. How about
a trade?
Posted to rec.woodworking

" wrote in message
Good tip; I'm a cyclist also, and have a chain breaker. Unfortunately
this chain appears to be a little larger than what my chain tool
accepts and I ended up tearing up the chain breaker in my haste to try
and get the planer back up & running. It was not a good Park Tool
quality breaker mind you but a knock-off chiwainese one that I've only
used one other time. As always, buy the best and cry once.

I'd like to do a coast to coast also, if I could just get this pesky
think called employment out of the way!

I thought the chain size was about the same as used on the coaster brake/3
speed bikes... could be faulty memory on my part as I sold my 733 about 4-5
years ago after getting a Jet planer/molder on an enclosed base so the image
isn't fresh in my head.

Re employment, for my first trip I resigned and took off. This time I can
cobble together a couple of months of paid time off--which my family
appreciates. ;~)

Well, I'm off to the shop to get the dust and finish levels up so the trip
continues to sound like a good idea.... ;~)

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

Planer "skips" when planing (irregularly) can leave mark on stock when happens.

Note:
I'd ensure each problem is fixed before you delve deeper, though understand consolidating part order. Ensure planer unplugged, blah, blah, blah. steps 1-3 are ok for novice, step 4 intermediate/difficult

1. Check feed rollers if show significant wear, replace will need to follow chain and bushing steps below. If glazed clean with solvent (alcohol or thinner using scrub pad). Don't cut yourself on blades
2. Check rubber (nylon) drive belt (located right side from front)
remove top 4 allen bolts
remove allen securing height adjuster, then remove handle assembly
remove 4 screws holding left and right plastic side panels
lift out side panels
inspect belt if shows any wear, replace

3. Check drive chains (located left side from front, FYI chains do have normal slack, no tension adj)
remove plastic chain cover, 2 screws on bottom front/back
remove snap rings
ease out sprockets front/rear to remove chains
check chains, make sure all links flex easily, if any bind replace chain
inspect sprockets, any damage replace

4.Inspect bushings (securing screws are a bitch to get out, can try ratchet w/ phillips, I had to use vice grips on heads when phillips started to strip)
raise cutterhead all the way
Start with 2 rear bushings
2 screws secure each bushing retaining bracket, FYI there are springs pushing down on bushings, but not heavily loaded, ease both out a few turns at a time. watch bushing, should move downward with spring pressure easily. If it binds bushing and/or spring may need replacement
same deal with front
when reinstalling, ease screws in back/front a bit at a time

5. Drive gears (now we're getting into more difficulty, proceed at you own risk. may have missed some screws, but if you're game for attempting this, you'll get the jist)
Remove top cover (black) of planer.
Remove dust chute (3 phillips) and rear blade access cover (2 allen)
Remove 4 allen screws underneath front of motor assembly
Remove power switch (6 phillips), disconnect leads (label to ensure proper reattachment)
Remove nylon belt shroud (rt side, 1 phillips), take belt off rollers
remove power cord securing screw (left side, 1 phillips)
Lift out motor assembly
Remove 2 screws left side securing plastic housing, remove housing
detach ground lead (green wire, 1 phillips)
Remove 4 screws securing gearcase cover, remove carefully
Inspect all gears replace if damaged. Note: if smallest drive gear damaged is actually the end of armature. big money part...plus bearings, etc...

Put everything back together

This is what I found:
drive rollers worn but I decided not to replace yet
nylon drive belt was original, looked ok but had discolored to almost brown so I replaced
1 drive chain (inner) had bad link
bushing on left rear (drive side) had been a bit mangled/cracked either causing or caused by skipping, so I replaced both rear bushings
armature spiral drive gear showed wear but big $ part, plus bearings..etc.... older planer so no replacement for me
everything else looked fine

I fixed the problems in order as listed but still skipped. Not until I got into gearcase (with no replacements) and reassembled did skipping stop, but no obvious problems...

Have planed quite a bit since with no probs, running like new-

....disassemble..reassemble..disassemble...I've heard patience is a virtue, hours spent, good luck

DeWalt DW 735 Planer James Woodworking 2 January 12th 07 03:01 PM
DeWalt Planer Ellestad Woodworking 12 September 6th 06 06:39 PM
How do you like your new Dewalt planer? Jane & David Woodworking 10 December 16th 04 06:54 PM
FS: Dewalt planer Nova Woodworking 3 September 8th 03 02:29 AM
FYI Dewalt 733 Planer TAP Woodworking 1 September 2nd 03 05:20 PM