Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default DeWalt 733 planer *thunk*

" wrote in message
Have a few year old DeWalt 733 that recently started behavior of
making a loud "thunk" noise as board is fed through machine. When
this happens, the board stops dead in it's tracks (only for a
millisecond), it continues through, and then there is usually a divot
in the board where the thunk occurred. It was a gradual thing at
first, but now it happens regularly. I replaced the blades today with
new ones...same thing. I cleaned the rollers with denatured alcohol,
have even tried 120grit sandpaper on them, and waxed the in/out feed
tables...same thing. I'm planing poplar if it matters at all. I'm
only planing 1/64" or so when this happens, but it happens at other
removal thicknesses also. Is my next stop the service center??

Cheers

Perhaps a "key" that indexes the feed rollers to a drive gear.