Jane & David

Default How do you like your new Dewalt planer?

Several people mentioned ordering the three knife Dewalt planers
recently. I was just wondering how you like them. I have had good and
not so good experiences with Dewalt, but if this planer works like it
should I think I want one.

TIA,
PDX David
Gary A in KC

Just rec'd my "Xmas present" last weekend from SWMBO. Got it setup and
hooked to my dust collection system and thought I'd put it to the test right
away. While first cuts are bound to look the best since the blades are still
sharp, I was extremely impressed with the quality of the cut. Planed some
maple and some jatoba for starters. Then went for a 2 foot long piece of
gnarly looking curly maple that I had resawed a while back and never cleaned
up. Took it down to 1/4 inch on the fine cutting setting and the finish was
incredible. No snipe, super smooth finish. Overall appears to be a quality
machine.
After 15+ years with an original Ryobi AP10 planer, this is quite a change.
Have to say, the old Ryobi was still doing it's job even after all this
time.

Gary in KC

"Jane & David" wrote in message
Several people mentioned ordering the three knife Dewalt planers
recently. I was just wondering how you like them. I have had good and
not so good experiences with Dewalt, but if this planer works like it
should I think I want one.

TIA,
PDX David

igor

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 13:31:39 GMT, "Gary A in KC"
wrote:

Just rec'd my "Xmas present" last weekend from SWMBO. Got it setup and
hooked to my dust collection system and thought I'd put it to the test right
away. While first cuts are bound to look the best since the blades are still
sharp, I was extremely impressed with the quality of the cut. Planed some
maple and some jatoba for starters. Then went for a 2 foot long piece of
gnarly looking curly maple that I had resawed a while back and never cleaned
up. Took it down to 1/4 inch on the fine cutting setting and the finish was
incredible. No snipe, super smooth finish. Overall appears to be a quality
machine.
After 15+ years with an original Ryobi AP10 planer, this is quite a change.
Have to say, the old Ryobi was still doing it's job even after all this
time.

Gary in KC

Which model DW do you have?

patrick conroy

"Jane & David" wrote in message

Several people mentioned ordering the three knife Dewalt planers
recently. I was just wondering how you like them. I have had good and
not so good experiences with Dewalt, but if this planer works like it
should I think I want one.

I have the DW735. Am darned-near-snipe-free and the finish is awesome.

igor

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 18:41:38 GMT, "Gary A in KC"
wrote:

The 735. Like it a lot but haven't put it through any "real world" testing
yet.

Gary in KC

Thanks. I'm in the final decision mode on the 734 (new for about $280
delivered) vs the 735 (refurb, about $400 delivered). BTW, especially in
light of your no-snipe comment, do you have the not-included $50/pr.
extension tables? TIA. -- Igor
Gary A in KC

Yeah, I also have the tables, but I've heard others on here comment they run
just fine without them. I like the convenience of having the table
extensions when running a lot of long boards.

Gary in KC

wrote:

The 735. Like it a lot but haven't put it through any "real world"

testing
yet.

Gary in KC

Thanks. I'm in the final decision mode on the 734 (new for about $280
delivered) vs the 735 (refurb, about $400 delivered). BTW, especially in
light of your no-snipe comment, do you have the not-included $50/pr.
extension tables? TIA. -- Igor

BeerBoy

I got the 735 a little over a year ago. Ran like a charm for the 1st 7-8
months and then I got big time snipe. It went from no snipe, to big gouges.
I tried everything short of taking it in with no luck. A week before the
warranty expired I finally took it in to the service center. When I went
back they gave me a new machine. The tech said he couldn't figure it out
and didn't have time to keep looking for the problem so I got me a nice
shiny new machine again. The new one runs great.

Jay Pique

"patrick conroy" wrote:

"Jane & David" wrote in message

Several people mentioned ordering the three knife Dewalt planers
recently. I was just wondering how you like them. I have had good and
not so good experiences with Dewalt, but if this planer works like it
should I think I want one.

I have the DW735. Am darned-near-snipe-free and the finish is awesome.

Ditto. Don't pay more than $400 w/o tax. Buy an extra set of blades
- they seem to nick easily. Save your $$ on the extension tables and
get a LV roller stand.

JP

patrick conroy

"Jay Pique" wrote in message

Ditto. Don't pay more than $400 w/o tax. Buy an extra set of blades
- they seem to nick easily. Save your $$ on the extension tables and

Too late. I got tagged for $459 on it. So I simply don't read the posts
from folks who paid less.

Kind'a like when I get into the office.
Take the phone off the hook.
Take the battery out'a the pager.
And shutdown Outlook.

Man, are those days so much easier to cope with.