Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Pole Barn Tips

On Mar 7, 12:45*am, coloradotrout wrote:
On Mar 3, 11:44*pm, -MIKE- wrote:

Llamas and goats. *Primary purpose is basic Llama shelter for 2-4
critters.

It has to be low cost. * If it lasts for 10 years, that's fine.

Would 6-4x4 posts, 2x4 girts, and 2x6 rafters be sufficien?

The roof will probably be metal, and the walls OSB.

What's a good source of metal roofing/siding?

That would work, minimum. *The roof will hold, but may sag a little.
Look into Fiber-Cement Siding for the wall sheathing.
It comes in 4x8 sheets like osb, but is impervious to everything.
Maybe the first 4ft. of wall could have OSB on the inside as a kick
shield.

I don't know if there's an aspca in your area or some equivalent
association, but you may want to check and see how much room is needed
for llamas. They're pretty big, no?

--

* -MIKE-

* "Playing is not something I do at night, it's my function in life"
* * *--Elvin Jones *(1927-2004)
* --
*http://mikedrums.com
*
* ---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

What's the best way to construct the roof?

I have seen 2x6s (rafters) or such strung from front to back across
the tops of the poles (poles space 8' or more), and then 2x material
(purlins) laid down across those. *When I said laid down, I mean the
wide part of the board (4", 6", 8") is nailed down to the front to
back rafters, and then the roofing is nailed to these.

Would it be better to attach a 2x6 across the front and back of the
building, and then hang rafters between those? *I guess the problem is
there is nothing to attach the roofing material to, so one would first
have to nail some sheathing to the rafters and then the roofiing
material (metal).

The typical way is to run 2x8 or 2x10 along the poles the length of
the building, then rafters along the slope, 8' is a long span for a
2x4, so probably 2x6s would be needed. Then, if you don't have a a
close rafter spacing, purlins across the rafters to support the
roofing, or if they're closer, . You can gain some strength for
purlins by attaching them on edge instead of flat, but I don't know if
that would be enough for an 8' span between rafters. Spacing also
comes into how small a lumber you can use. There's a whole art to
selecting lumber for projects like this, do a web search for "span
tables".

This is where all those plans people gave you links to would come in
handy, to get an idea of how big a piece of lumber you'll need across
what sort of span...and not have to calculate it all out yourself from
the span tables.
--Glenn Lyford