Posted to rec.woodworking

Default 5/16 carriage bolt 6 1/2 inches long

I need a stainless steel full thread 5/16 carriage bolt 6 1/2 inches
long. My local Lowes nor Home Depot have them. I tried several searches
on Google no no effect. Does anybody know where I might find them. Lowes
has a zink plated bolt 7 inches long but if I cut it down I'm afraid it
will rust, which is a definite no-no because I'm making products to sell.
Thanks,
paul
Posted to rec.woodworking

sam wrote:

I need a stainless steel full thread 5/16 carriage bolt 6 1/2 inches
long. My local Lowes nor Home Depot have them. I tried several searches
on Google no no effect. Does anybody know where I might find them. Lowes
has a zink plated bolt 7 inches long but if I cut it down I'm afraid it
will rust, which is a definite no-no because I'm making products to sell.
Thanks,
paul

Boat parts and accessories stores carry stainless steel, brass and
bronze
nuts, bolts and screws
Posted to rec.woodworking

"sam" wrote in message ...
I need a stainless steel full thread 5/16 carriage bolt 6 1/2 inches long.
My local Lowes nor Home Depot have them. I tried several searches on Google
no no effect. Does anybody know where I might find them. Lowes has a zink
plated bolt 7 inches long but if I cut it down I'm afraid it will rust,
which is a definite no-no because I'm making products to sell.
Thanks,
paul

Where do you live? Most cities of any size have industrial fastener houses.
You can walk in the door and buy them. Big box stores are a lousy place to
buy fasteners. I haven't seen stainless steel carriage bolts in that
length. Perhaps a stainless steel specialty fastener company could help you.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"sam" wrote in message ...
I need a stainless steel full thread 5/16 carriage bolt 6 1/2 inches long.
My local Lowes nor Home Depot have them. I tried several searches on Google
no no effect. Does anybody know where I might find them. Lowes has a zink
plated bolt 7 inches long but if I cut it down I'm afraid it will rust,
which is a definite no-no because I'm making products to sell.
Thanks,
paul

Doubt you will find them. McMaster only goes to 6" in 5/16. If you go to
3/8" you can get the 6 1/2" but be prepared to pay $4.37 each.
Hot dipped galvanized is only 73¢, or zinc plated are 75¢.

Fastenal has 5/6 x 6 1/2, but not in stainless.

You need to learn to use your computer searches better. www.mcmaster.com
www.fastenal.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

sam wrote:
I need a stainless steel full thread 5/16 carriage bolt 6 1/2 inches
long.

I've bought stainless steel nuts, bolts, and washers from this outfit in
Virginia and have liked both the quality and the prices:

http://www.winkfast.com/carriage-bolts.html

I'm making products to sell.

That's good because these folks require a $75 (minimum) order.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 07 Mar 2009 02:50:56 -0500, sam wrote:

I need a stainless steel full thread 5/16 carriage bolt 6 1/2 inches
long. My local Lowes nor Home Depot have them. I tried several searches
on Google no no effect. Does anybody know where I might find them. Lowes
has a zink plated bolt 7 inches long but if I cut it down I'm afraid it
will rust, which is a definite no-no because I'm making products to
sell. Thanks,
paul

FYI:

McMaster-Carr dose *not* carry ss, 5/16, 6.5" long. Change any of your
specifications (length, ss, size) and you may find something.

however, a 3/8, ss, 6.5" square neck carriage bolt is $4.37 per bolt
plus shipping.

It seems that for a 5/16 carriage bolt, 6 inches seems to be it at on the
Web industrial supply houses I checked. As someone else pointed out you
may need an industrial fastener supply house.

Or better yet, check out Tom Cat, (Thomas Catalog: www.thomasnet.com) for
manufacturer / distributor of your bolt needs. My quick (very quick)
look at Tom Cat seems that for SS, 5/16 at 6.5" is a special order bolt.
Listed companies in Tom Cat will make bolts to your CAD drawing for a
setup fee, and a cost per bolt. Probably a minimum size production run
quantity or a minimum invoice amount also.

But stainless steel at that size and length sure seems an expensive way
to go.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Morris Dovey wrote:
sam wrote:
I need a stainless steel full thread 5/16 carriage bolt 6 1/2 inches
long.

I've bought stainless steel nuts, bolts, and washers from this outfit in
Virginia and have liked both the quality and the prices:

http://www.winkfast.com/carriage-bolts.html

I'm making products to sell.

That's good because these folks require a $75 (minimum) order.

An afterthought: If these folks have what you want, but you don't want
to order that much at a time, you're invited to e-mail me - I'm wanting
to order 1/2-20 x 8" stainless button head cap screws and we may be able
to combine orders.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

"sam" wrote:

I need a stainless steel full thread 5/16 carriage bolt 6 1/2
inches......

Jamestown Distributors

$3.19 Ea + Shipping.

Won't be full thread, but that's simple to modify in your shop.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 07 Mar 2009 13:41:11 +0000, Lew Hodgett wrote:

"sam" wrote:

I need a stainless steel full thread 5/16 carriage bolt 6 1/2
inches......

Jamestown Distributors

$3.19 Ea + Shipping.

Won't be full thread, but that's simple to modify in your shop.

Interesting site.
And a whole lot of On-line documents and how-to

Thanks for the link.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

sam wrote:
I need a stainless steel full thread 5/16 carriage bolt 6 1/2 inches
long. ...

I didn't check the catalog, but try your local Fastenal distributor
first. Depending on whether you're in sizable metro area or not, the
number of other distributors may vary; yellow pages are place to start.

Someone else may have mentioned them, too, already; but what I didn't
see asked was "what's the application that needs that long a bolt w/
full thread?" (Inquiring minds, etc., ... )

Posted to rec.woodworking

charlieb wrote:
sam wrote:

I need a stainless steel full thread 5/16 carriage bolt 6 1/2 inches
long. My local Lowes nor Home Depot have them. I tried several
searches on Google no no effect. Does anybody know where I might
find them. Lowes has a zink plated bolt 7 inches long but if I cut
it down I'm afraid it will rust, which is a definite no-no because
I'm making products to sell. Thanks,
paul

Boat parts and accessories stores carry stainless steel, brass and
bronze
nuts, bolts and screws

Fastenal has zinc and galvanized 6-1/2 that according to the photo in the
catalog are full thread, for pretty cheap.

A quick googling on "5/16 6-1/2 stainless carriage" got me to
http://www.manasquanfasteners.com/carriage_bolts_5_16. I've not done
business with them but it looks like they have what is requested for about
$3.50 a shot.

If the OP is in the Hartford area, then he should give Eckart & Finard a
call.

Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb wrote:
sam wrote:
I need a stainless steel full thread 5/16 carriage bolt 6 1/2 inches
long. ...

I didn't check the catalog, but try your local Fastenal distributor
first. Depending on whether you're in sizable metro area or not, the
number of other distributors may vary; yellow pages are place to start.

Someone else may have mentioned them, too, already; but what I didn't
see asked was "what's the application that needs that long a bolt w/
full thread?" (Inquiring minds, etc., ... )

--

Thanks for all the replies folks! Actually, I realized, its not SS I
want. I meant to say Zinc coated steel. Thats what the Local Lowes sells
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

sam wrote:

Thanks for all the replies folks! Actually, I realized, its not SS I
want. I meant to say Zinc coated steel. Thats what the Local Lowes sells
, and the shiny finish will be fine, only if I don't have to cut it. For
those interested, I'm building small looms of the inkle type. The bolt
will go through a wooden dowel five inches long and then tru a 3/4 inch
piece of wood.

It wouldn't seem that would be an application subject to wet conditions
so don't see that there would be much risk at all for rusting to be an
issue if you did shorten them.

Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb wrote:
sam wrote:

Thanks for all the replies folks! Actually, I realized, its not SS I
want. I meant to say Zinc coated steel. Thats what the Local Lowes
sells , and the shiny finish will be fine, only if I don't have to cut
it. For those interested, I'm building small looms of the inkle type.
The bolt will go through a wooden dowel five inches long and then tru
a 3/4 inch piece of wood.

It wouldn't seem that would be an application subject to wet conditions
so don't see that there would be much risk at all for rusting to be an
issue if you did shorten them.

--

Well I hope these will be heirloom items as I intend to build to last. I
try to put the most I possibly can in to anything I build. Good enough
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 7, 2:50*am, sam wrote:
I need a stainless steel full thread 5/16 carriage bolt 6 1/2 inches
long. My local Lowes nor Home Depot have them. I tried several searches
on Google no no effect. Does anybody know where I might find them. Lowes
has a zink plated bolt 7 inches long but if I cut it down I'm afraid it
will rust, which is a definite no-no because I'm making products to sell.
Thanks,
paul

Try here. You may have to compromize...

http://www.boltdepot.com/product.asp...s=8&cm=6&cd=74

Posted to rec.woodworking

Paul,

Take a look at this site.

http://www.nutty.com/

They don't list a 5/16" - 6 1/2" stainless steel carriage bolt on their
website, but it might be worth a call.

That said, I think that I read that you found that you don't actually need a
stainless steel fastener, so this site may not be of any use to you, other
than saving it for future reference.

I've never used them, but had been referred to them by a now defunct
hardware store when I was looking for some obscure bolt. YMMV.

Peter.

wrote in message
On Mar 7, 2:50 am, sam wrote:
I need a stainless steel full thread 5/16 carriage bolt 6 1/2 inches
long. My local Lowes nor Home Depot have them. I tried several searches
on Google no no effect. Does anybody know where I might find them. Lowes
has a zink plated bolt 7 inches long but if I cut it down I'm afraid it
will rust, which is a definite no-no because I'm making products to sell.
Thanks,
paul

Try here. You may have to compromize...

http://www.boltdepot.com/product.asp...s=8&cm=6&cd=74

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 07 Mar 2009 02:50:56 -0500, sam wrote:

I need a stainless steel full thread 5/16 carriage bolt 6 1/2 inches
long. My local Lowes nor Home Depot have them. I tried several searches
on Google no no effect. Does anybody know where I might find them. Lowes
has a zink plated bolt 7 inches long but if I cut it down I'm afraid it
will rust, which is a definite no-no because I'm making products to sell.
Thanks,
paul

Would it be possible to use an acorn nut to cover the cut end of the
bolt?

HTH,
Jeffo