Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default 5/16 carriage bolt 6 1/2 inches long

sam wrote:

Thanks for all the replies folks! Actually, I realized, its not SS I
want. I meant to say Zinc coated steel. Thats what the Local Lowes sells
, and the shiny finish will be fine, only if I don't have to cut it. For
those interested, I'm building small looms of the inkle type. The bolt
will go through a wooden dowel five inches long and then tru a 3/4 inch
piece of wood.

It wouldn't seem that would be an application subject to wet conditions
so don't see that there would be much risk at all for rusting to be an
issue if you did shorten them.