Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Reed

Default creating (square) carriage head bolt holes

I am in the midst of fixing some farm machinery with new sheetmetal. The
metal I am using is 14 gauge, and the proximity to moving parts requires
carriage head bolts. The previous metal used 1/4" carriage head bolts, and
I would like to do the same. I don't have any idea how to create the square
holes. Each piece of metal is roughly 3 feet by 2 feet, and the holes will
be within 2 inches of one side of the metal.

Any help would be appreciated.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP*

"Jim Reed" wrote in message
I am in the midst of fixing some farm machinery with new sheetmetal. The
metal I am using is 14 gauge, and the proximity to moving parts requires
carriage head bolts. The previous metal used 1/4" carriage head bolts, and
I would like to do the same. I don't have any idea how to create the
square holes. Each piece of metal is roughly 3 feet by 2 feet, and the
holes will be within 2 inches of one side of the metal.

Any help would be appreciated.

I guess it could be done with a broach and a press, if all the holes are
within 2" of the edge. If you have access to both sides when it's installed
it might be easier to use some type of round head bolt with a recessed Torx
or allen head so that it can be held while tightening.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
JR North

Just drill a 1/4" hole and use a 1/4" square file to finish the hole.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

Jim Reed wrote:
I am in the midst of fixing some farm machinery with new sheetmetal. The
metal I am using is 14 gauge, and the proximity to moving parts requires
carriage head bolts. The previous metal used 1/4" carriage head bolts, and
I would like to do the same. I don't have any idea how to create the square
holes. Each piece of metal is roughly 3 feet by 2 feet, and the holes will
be within 2 inches of one side of the metal.

Any help would be appreciated.

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Chip Chester

"Jim Reed" wrote in message
I am in the midst of fixing some farm machinery with new sheetmetal. The
metal I am using is 14 gauge, and the proximity to moving parts requires
carriage head bolts. The previous metal used 1/4" carriage head bolts,

and
I would like to do the same. I don't have any idea how to create the

square
holes. Each piece of metal is roughly 3 feet by 2 feet, and the holes

will
be within 2 inches of one side of the metal.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jim,

If it's equipment that needs to be in the field tomorrow,
and will spend the rest of its days in the barn, then a
slightly oversized hole will become squared when you
cinch the bolt tight. Of course, you may have considered
and rejected this method, also.

If it's a restoration project, or has to be "just so" you could
try a Greenlee chassis punch, a nibbler (Google it)
or a square file and a cool refreshing beverage.

If clearance is really tight, you might look at garage door
bolts, which are like carriage bolts without the dome on
the head. Home centers have 'em in the garage door section,
not nuts and bolts.

Good luck!
"Chip" in Columbus

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Winston

Jim Reed wrote:
I am in the midst of fixing some farm machinery with new sheetmetal. The
metal I am using is 14 gauge, and the proximity to moving parts requires
carriage head bolts. The previous metal used 1/4" carriage head bolts, and
I would like to do the same. I don't have any idea how to create the square
holes. Each piece of metal is roughly 3 feet by 2 feet, and the holes will
be within 2 inches of one side of the metal.

Any help would be appreciated.

How many, to what tolerance? What's the budget like?

1) Prick punch, center punch, pilot drill then 17/64 drill. Create
corners with 3 corner file.

2) CNC Plasma torch

3) Water jet

4) Laser

5) Plunge EDM

6) Machine and harden a 0.27" square punch and matching die shoe. Load into your
arbor press and pop them out. Use lubricant and wear eye protection.

7) Drill and square broach

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

Jim Reed wrote:
I am in the midst of fixing some farm machinery with new sheetmetal. The
metal I am using is 14 gauge, and the proximity to moving parts requires
carriage head bolts. The previous metal used 1/4" carriage head bolts, and
I would like to do the same. I don't have any idea how to create the square
holes. Each piece of metal is roughly 3 feet by 2 feet, and the holes will
be within 2 inches of one side of the metal.

Any help would be appreciated.

These would have been punched originally. It is certainly possible to get one of
those Whitney hand punches about the size of bolt cutters, and order a 1/4"
square punch and die set from Cleveland Steel Tool or the like.

I'd punch the holes anyway (drilling sheet is a real bummer) even if you only
have a round punch, punch 'em a little big and just pull the bolts through.

GWE
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gary Brady

Jim Reed wrote:
I am in the midst of fixing some farm machinery with new sheetmetal. The
metal I am using is 14 gauge, and the proximity to moving parts requires
carriage head bolts. The previous metal used 1/4" carriage head bolts, and
I would like to do the same. I don't have any idea how to create the square
holes. Each piece of metal is roughly 3 feet by 2 feet, and the holes will
be within 2 inches of one side of the metal.

Any help would be appreciated.

How about a bolt like a lugbolt on a car? A short splined section up
near the flat head that is pressed into a round hole.

--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX