Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Jet shop filter ok to run without filters?

Probably a stupid question, but... Is there any reason that running it as a
"fan" can hurt or make it less effective..

Looking ahead to summer and was going to put an exhaust fan in the shop...
Thinking of venting the Jet to the outside instead...

It's ceiling mounted and should pull the hot air off the (10') ceilings..
I can't think of how removing the filters could hurt it.. Just more air flow,
right?
Would it be better to leave the outer filter on, to keep dust out of the fan, or
would the dust just blow on through?

thanks,

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

"mac davis" wrote in message
Probably a stupid question, but... Is there any reason that running it as
"fan" can hurt or make it less effective..

Looking ahead to summer and was going to put an exhaust fan in the shop...
Thinking of venting the Jet to the outside instead...

It's ceiling mounted and should pull the hot air off the (10') ceilings..
I can't think of how removing the filters could hurt it.. Just more air
flow,
right?
Would it be better to leave the outer filter on, to keep dust out of the
fan, or
would the dust just blow on through?

thanks,

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

The biggest problem that I see is that "you" would be breathing more dust.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"mac davis" wrote in message
Probably a stupid question, but... Is there any reason that running it as
"fan" can hurt or make it less effective..

Looking ahead to summer and was going to put an exhaust fan in the shop...
Thinking of venting the Jet to the outside instead...

It's ceiling mounted and should pull the hot air off the (10') ceilings..
I can't think of how removing the filters could hurt it.. Just more air
flow,
right?
Would it be better to leave the outer filter on, to keep dust out of the
fan, or
would the dust just blow on through?

I'd be concerned about protecting the motor and bearings. The slight gain in
CFM without the filter likely won't make a worthwhile or noticeable
difference. I have a washable filter, so fo me, it would not be a hardship.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 7, 1:16*pm, "Leon" wrote:
"mac davis" wrote in message

Probably a stupid question, but... Is there any reason that running it as
"fan" can hurt or make it less effective..

Looking ahead to summer and was going to put an exhaust fan in the shop....
Thinking of venting the Jet to the outside instead...

It's ceiling mounted and should pull the hot air off the (10') ceilings...
I can't think of how removing the filters could hurt it.. Just more air
flow,
right?
Would it be better to leave the outer filter on, to keep dust out of the
fan, or
would the dust just blow on through?

thanks,

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

The biggest problem that I see is that "you" would be breathing more dust..

If he vents it to the outside, the dust should be blown out with the
hot air.... rather than some of it recirculating back into the shop.
No?
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article 36823a16-66f8-41df-bb94-347e5a6a4104
@l16g2000yqo.googlegroups.com, says...

If he vents it to the outside, the dust should be blown out with the
hot air.... rather than some of it recirculating back into the shop.
No?

The original question suggesta that he wants to use it like a ceiling
fan to circulate the higher, warmer stratum of air throughout the shop.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 8, 11:31*am, phorbin wrote:
In article 36823a16-66f8-41df-bb94-347e5a6a4104
@l16g2000yqo.googlegroups.com, says...

If he vents it to the outside, the dust should be blown out with the
hot air.... rather than some of it recirculating back into the shop.
No?

The original question suggesta that he wants to use it like a ceiling
fan to circulate the higher, warmer stratum of air throughout the shop.

Looking ahead to summer and was going to put an exhaust fan in the shop....

Thinking of venting the Jet to the outside instead.

That is what I got out of mac's question.....
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Feb 7, 1:16 pm, "Leon" wrote:
..

If he vents it to the outside, the dust should be blown out with the
hot air.... rather than some of it recirculating back into the shop.
No?

Well maybe. It will be vented outside but that vented air has to be
replaced and outside air may bring in more dust than what may only be
floating around inside. Eventually inside filtered air will clear out with
filters. Dusty outside air is limitless.
That said, I don't use an air filter at all as I most often work with an
open garage door and the breeze through there would probably limit the
effectiveness of a room air filter.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 7 Feb 2009 12:16:44 -0600, "Leon" wrote:

"mac davis" wrote in message
.. .
Probably a stupid question, but... Is there any reason that running it as
"fan" can hurt or make it less effective..

Looking ahead to summer and was going to put an exhaust fan in the shop...
Thinking of venting the Jet to the outside instead...

It's ceiling mounted and should pull the hot air off the (10') ceilings..
I can't think of how removing the filters could hurt it.. Just more air
flow,
right?
Would it be better to leave the outer filter on, to keep dust out of the
fan, or
would the dust just blow on through?

thanks,

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

The biggest problem that I see is that "you" would be breathing more dust.

Not sure why, Leon..
The air going into the filter wouldn't be recirculated into the shop, it would
go outside..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 8 Feb 2009 15:31:04 -0600, "Leon" wrote:

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Feb 7, 1:16 pm, "Leon" wrote:
.

If he vents it to the outside, the dust should be blown out with the
hot air.... rather than some of it recirculating back into the shop.
No?

Well maybe. It will be vented outside but that vented air has to be
replaced and outside air may bring in more dust than what may only be
floating around inside. Eventually inside filtered air will clear out with
filters. Dusty outside air is limitless.
That said, I don't use an air filter at all as I most often work with an
open garage door and the breeze through there would probably limit the
effectiveness of a room air filter.

Good thought, Leon.. hadn't occurred to me about replacing the air..

In my case, outside air isn't an option, as this setup would be when it's WAY
too hot and humid to work outside..
My shop is actually a large room in the house, so I guess I'd be drawing
replacement air from the great room, which is a lot cooled than the shop..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 7 Feb 2009 13:39:48 -0600, "MikeWhy" wrote:

I'd be concerned about protecting the motor and bearings. The slight gain in
CFM without the filter likely won't make a worthwhile or noticeable
difference. I have a washable filter, so fo me, it would not be a hardship.

My concern also, Mike..
Do you think the outer filter would protect the motor?
I'm thinking that the main increase in CFM would be by removing the inner
filter..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

news
wrote:

I'd be concerned about protecting the motor and bearings. The slight gain
in
CFM without the filter likely won't make a worthwhile or noticeable
difference. I have a washable filter, so fo me, it would not be a
hardship.

My concern also, Mike..
Do you think the outer filter would protect the motor?
I'm thinking that the main increase in CFM would be by removing the inner
filter..

Compared to not using a filter, for sure. The static pressure on the
inner bag filters is pretty large. Mine are ripping away from their
attachment points on the frame. However, even this much seems small compared
to losses ducting it into a dryer vent hose, as I read you mention
elsewhere. A powered exhaust vent set into the wall might do just as well.
Maybe move the air cleaner close to and pointed at the vent, and whatever
makes it out will be good enough. You might also consider venting the DC
outside, but that has its own set of problems.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"mac davis" wrote in message
In my case, outside air isn't an option, as this setup would be when it's
WAY
too hot and humid to work outside..
My shop is actually a large room in the house, so I guess I'd be drawing
replacement air from the great room, which is a lot cooled than the shop..

mac

And then the great room air is replaced with hot air from outside. If you
are paying to run an AC, it may run into quite the expense.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"mac davis" wrote in message
Probably a stupid question, but... Is there any reason that running it as
"fan" can hurt or make it less effective..

Looking ahead to summer and was going to put an exhaust fan in the shop...
Thinking of venting the Jet to the outside instead...

It's ceiling mounted and should pull the hot air off the (10') ceilings..
I can't think of how removing the filters could hurt it.. Just more air
flow,
right?
Would it be better to leave the outer filter on, to keep dust out of the
fan, or
would the dust just blow on through?

thanks,

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Concerning longetivity of the motor and bearings, do you have a regular fan
in the shop? Is it holding up OK? I would not be concerned, myself.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
Concerning longetivity of the motor and bearings, do you have a regular fan
in the shop? Is it holding up OK? I would not be concerned, myself.

If it has sealed ball bearings, yeah; brass bushings, no.

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

"mac davis" wrote in message
[...]

I'm a little late coming into this thread but one thing to watch for
is motor overload, the less resistance and higher cfm will load the motor
to a greater level.

basilisk
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 9 Feb 2009 22:08:14 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

"mac davis" wrote in message
In my case, outside air isn't an option, as this setup would be when it's
WAY
too hot and humid to work outside..
My shop is actually a large room in the house, so I guess I'd be drawing
replacement air from the great room, which is a lot cooled than the shop..

mac

And then the great room air is replaced with hot air from outside. If you
are paying to run an AC, it may run into quite the expense.

Well, we're lucky enough to not have to be too concerned with the expense, Ed..
Last year we ran the master bedroom AC 24/7 all summer, the shop AC about 12
hours a day and the great room unit when we had folks over, and our highest bill
in 2 years was a little under $250 a month..
After a lifetime in California, we can live with that, for sure.. That would be
our LOWEST bill in a lot of years, there..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 9 Feb 2009 13:47:04 -0600, "MikeWhy" wrote:

Compared to not using a filter, for sure. The static pressure on the
inner bag filters is pretty large. Mine are ripping away from their
attachment points on the frame. However, even this much seems small compared
to losses ducting it into a dryer vent hose, as I read you mention
elsewhere. A powered exhaust vent set into the wall might do just as well.
Maybe move the air cleaner close to and pointed at the vent, and whatever
makes it out will be good enough. You might also consider venting the DC
outside, but that has its own set of problems.

Good point...
I'm looking at using a table saw DC fitting, which just covers the grill on the
exhaust side, and running about 30" of 4" DC hose to the dryer vent, which would
be near the ceiling..

We were originally going to use a bathroom type vent unit, but the hassle of
running power to it just isn't worth it..

I'm thinking that the advantage of the Jet unit over the wall unit is that it's
in the middle of the room, mounted on the ceiling and that it's already there..
(yeah, my middle name is either Lazy)

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 10 Feb 2009 08:41:02 -0600, "Leon"
wrote:

Concerning longetivity of the motor and bearings, do you have a regular fan
in the shop? Is it holding up OK? I would not be concerned, myself.

Well, I've had a 10" box fan from Wally World running in a shop window for most
of 2 years and it's getting a tad noisy.. lol

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 11 Feb 2009 22:54:30 -0600, basilisk wrote:

I'm a little late coming into this thread but one thing to watch for
is motor overload, the less resistance and higher cfm will load the motor
to a greater level.

basilisk

AHHHH....
That's sort of the question that was hiding in the back of my mind when I asked
if it could harm the unit!
Brings to mind the folks that put low resistance mufflers on their cars and lose
the back pressure that the engine might need..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

"mac davis" wrote in message
On Wed, 11 Feb 2009 22:54:30 -0600, basilisk wrote:

I'm a little late coming into this thread but one thing to watch for
is motor overload, the less resistance and higher cfm will load the motor
to a greater level.

basilisk

AHHHH....
That's sort of the question that was hiding in the back of my mind when I
asked
if it could harm the unit!
Brings to mind the folks that put low resistance mufflers on their cars
and lose
the back pressure that the engine might need..

It's difficult to say without the fan curve to look at. For a finely tuned,
engineered system, that may be so. I think that's hardly the case for
"generic" air cleaners. Removing the static loss from the filter flattens
the system curve, shifting the operating point lower and to the right: lower
static pressure and higher cfm. Assuming constant speed and efficiency,
power draw will be higher; the fan laws relate power to the cube of cfm.
However, the squirrel cage likely is running higher on its efficiency curve
at the lower static point. I doubt the small increase in power places the
motor in any danger of burning out. But, again, it's difficult to say
without looking at the fan and system curves. If that's a concern at all, my
Jet filter has 3 speed settings. Just avoid using the highest setting.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 12:32:09 -0600, "MikeWhy" wrote:

It's difficult to say without the fan curve to look at. For a finely tuned,
engineered system, that may be so. I think that's hardly the case for
"generic" air cleaners. Removing the static loss from the filter flattens
the system curve, shifting the operating point lower and to the right: lower
static pressure and higher cfm. Assuming constant speed and efficiency,
power draw will be higher; the fan laws relate power to the cube of cfm.
However, the squirrel cage likely is running higher on its efficiency curve
at the lower static point. I doubt the small increase in power places the
motor in any danger of burning out. But, again, it's difficult to say
without looking at the fan and system curves. If that's a concern at all, my
Jet filter has 3 speed settings. Just avoid using the highest setting.

Yep... I'm guessing that you could just take the "squirrel cage" fan out of the
filter and run it without problems..

Part of the reason for removing the filter is to not need to run it on anything
but low (1 of 3) speed..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Seeking Opinions on air return filters and air vent filters No Way Home Repair 19 June 11th 07 06:52 PM
carbon filter for water filter car crash Home Repair 4 November 22nd 06 03:35 PM
Air Filters - Questions re the ones for the HVAC and seperate plug-in type air filters. Ron Cliborn Home Repair 3 August 13th 06 05:37 PM
Shop-Vac filter bags Jim Home Repair 9 October 24th 05 07:49 PM
Shop vac. filter cover, source needed Over40pirate Woodworking 2 February 5th 05 06:52 AM