Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis[_5_] mac davis[_5_] is offline

Default Jet shop filter ok to run without filters?

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 12:32:09 -0600, "MikeWhy" wrote:

It's difficult to say without the fan curve to look at. For a finely tuned,
engineered system, that may be so. I think that's hardly the case for
"generic" air cleaners. Removing the static loss from the filter flattens
the system curve, shifting the operating point lower and to the right: lower
static pressure and higher cfm. Assuming constant speed and efficiency,
power draw will be higher; the fan laws relate power to the cube of cfm.
However, the squirrel cage likely is running higher on its efficiency curve
at the lower static point. I doubt the small increase in power places the
motor in any danger of burning out. But, again, it's difficult to say
without looking at the fan and system curves. If that's a concern at all, my
Jet filter has 3 speed settings. Just avoid using the highest setting.

Yep... I'm guessing that you could just take the "squirrel cage" fan out of the
filter and run it without problems..

Part of the reason for removing the filter is to not need to run it on anything
but low (1 of 3) speed..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing