Old January 27th 09, 09:38 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Is there a Tool Opposite of Vice (Separator)?

Is there a tool, what is it called, that works the opposite of a
vice. Something to put between two boards and apply some force
outward to help separate them. I am thinking of space distances of a
few inches to almost a foot if possible.

Old January 27th 09, 09:46 PM posted to rec.woodworking

"Albert" wrote in message
Is there a tool, what is it called, that works the opposite of a
vice. Something to put between two boards and apply some force
outward to help separate them. I am thinking of space distances of a
few inches to almost a foot if possible.

They aren't very good (I.e. this exact one from HF doesn't hold (in either
direction) with much pressure). I've seen the same made by other companies
which are much better (read: useable). They come in as many different
sizes as any bar clamps.

Ed

Old January 27th 09, 09:46 PM posted to rec.woodworking

"Albert" wrote in message
Is there a tool, what is it called, that works the opposite of a
vice. Something to put between two boards and apply some force
outward to help separate them. I am thinking of space distances of a
few inches to almost a foot if possible.

Not sure what application you had in mind, but many clamps permit turning
the heads for outward pressure.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...44&cat=1,43838

Old January 27th 09, 09:49 PM posted to rec.woodworking

"Albert" wrote in message
Is there a tool, what is it called, that works the opposite of a
vice. Something to put between two boards and apply some force
outward to help separate them. I am thinking of space distances of a
few inches to almost a foot if possible.

Albert,
Here you go:
http://www.irwin.com/irwin/consumer/...rwinProd300003
Kerry

Old January 27th 09, 11:14 PM posted to rec.woodworking

They aren't very good (I.e. this exact one from HF doesn't hold (in
either direction) with much pressure).

And the trigger/handle breaks.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Old January 28th 09, 12:11 AM posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote in message

They aren't very good (I.e. this exact one from HF doesn't hold (in
either direction) with much pressure).

And the trigger/handle breaks.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

You've used them, too? (grin)

One of those times where I looked and thought, how bad can a clamp be?

*That* bad.

Ed

Old January 28th 09, 12:40 AM posted to rec.woodworking

In article e2baaa0a-b632-4388-9d7b-b245563c2503
@u13g2000yqg.googlegroups.com, says...

Is there a tool, what is it called, that works the opposite of a
vice. Something to put between two boards and apply some force
outward to help separate them. I am thinking of space distances of a
few inches to almost a foot if possible.

Something like this?

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,43456,43407

or

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,43838,47843

Old January 28th 09, 02:52 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Yes - they have hydrologic 'jaws of life' if you will. They are
two flat and wide jaws that point down to a shallow v point. Then
the pump is used to change the tip wider and wider.

Some bar clamps are reversible and will push outward as well - but you
need an opening for it.

It is hard to visualize what you need this for and the application.

Martin

Old January 28th 09, 02:56 AM posted to rec.woodworking

And the trigger/handle breaks.

You've used them, too? (grin)

One of those times where I looked and thought, how bad can a clamp be?

*That* bad.

Ed

Yep. :-)
They were like $2.50 a piece on sale months ago, so I figured what the
heck.

Sooner or later, I'll take 'em back for store credit.

Or maybe I'll just buy new ones and take back the old, broken ones. :-p

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Old January 28th 09, 03:11 AM posted to rec.woodworking

"Albert" wrote in message
Is there a tool, what is it called, that works the opposite of a
vice. Something to put between two boards and apply some force
outward to help separate them. I am thinking of space distances of a
few inches to almost a foot if possible

Newer Bessey K Bodies,
Jorgensen Cabinet Masters
Jet, Bessey Clones