Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Best Pliers or Vice Grips (or similar tool?)

Hello,

I'm trying to remove my garden hose from the faucet on the side of my
house, but it won't budge. It's rusted on I think, and I'm having a
hard time getting a "grip" on it to twist it off. This brings me to my
question. What is the best "Multi-Use" tool for jobs like this?
Adjustable wrenches just don't have the "grip". Adjustable Pliers will
work, but Vice Grips permit you to "clamp" the hose. I've seen other
such multi-purpose "tools" offered on TV from time to time, but I'm
interested in getting a tool that is the most flexible, and durable,
and versatile for these types of jobs. How about it? Does anyone have
a brand, or make, of a tool like this that they just love and couldn't
live without?

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

For starters, flood with penetrating oil (any good hardware store).
This should help loosen it.

Vise grips, etc. will damage things. Use them as a last resort.

Vise grips are handy. Also, a conventional pipe wrench helps (it
tightens the more you lean into it). Also, I find what are known as
"pump pliers" -- adjustable, helpful for the lighter jobs. The handles
are pretty long, and you can get some leverage.

To avoid the problem in the future, get a small tube of plumber's
grease (hardware store again), and lightly lube the threads on the hose
bib. Makes getting things both on and off MUCH easier. Also, a dab on
the rubber "O" seal on the hose makes for a better seal. You can
tighten and seal with nothing more than hand force.

If you end up destroying the fitting, there are replacement/repair
fittings available.

Posted to alt.home.repair

posted for all of us...

Hello,

I'm trying to remove my garden hose from the faucet on the side of my
house, but it won't budge. It's rusted on I think, and I'm having a
hard time getting a "grip" on it to twist it off. This brings me to my
question. What is the best "Multi-Use" tool for jobs like this?
Adjustable wrenches just don't have the "grip". Adjustable Pliers will
work, but Vice Grips permit you to "clamp" the hose. I've seen other
such multi-purpose "tools" offered on TV from time to time, but I'm
interested in getting a tool that is the most flexible, and durable,
and versatile for these types of jobs. How about it? Does anyone have
a brand, or make, of a tool like this that they just love and couldn't
live without?

Thanks.

Channelocks or Knipex pliers.
--
Tekkie Don't bother to thank me, I do this as a public service.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,

I'm trying to remove my garden hose from the faucet on the side of my
house, but it won't budge. It's rusted on I think, and I'm having a
hard time getting a "grip" on it to twist it off. This brings me to my
question. What is the best "Multi-Use" tool for jobs like this?
Adjustable wrenches just don't have the "grip". Adjustable Pliers will
work, but Vice Grips permit you to "clamp" the hose. I've seen other
such multi-purpose "tools" offered on TV from time to time, but I'm
interested in getting a tool that is the most flexible, and durable,
and versatile for these types of jobs. How about it? Does anyone have
a brand, or make, of a tool like this that they just love and couldn't
live without?

Slipjoint pump pliers. Sorta L-shaped. Channelock is a decent-but-affordable
brand. This is why they call them pump pliers- they are designed for stuff
like this. The leverage they provide gives plenty ot torque, but the 'crush
power' is limited by hard you can squeeze. That way, unlike vise-grips, you
are unlikey to crush or shatter the hose end or the hose bib itself. Of
course, soaking the thing in penetrating oil for an hour before you reap on
it, will also help a lot.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

two adjustable channel locks or substitute similar but only buy a pair
of the the narrow ones so they fit perfectly on the hose nuts and keep
them with your box of extra hose fittings and adapters. one grabs the
hose nut and other grabs sill cock to hold it in place.

wrote:
Hello,

I'm trying to remove my garden hose from the faucet on the side of my
house, but it won't budge. It's rusted on I think, and I'm having a
hard time getting a "grip" on it to twist it off. This brings me to my
question. What is the best "Multi-Use" tool for jobs like this?
Adjustable wrenches just don't have the "grip". Adjustable Pliers will
work, but Vice Grips permit you to "clamp" the hose. I've seen other
such multi-purpose "tools" offered on TV from time to time, but I'm
interested in getting a tool that is the most flexible, and durable,
and versatile for these types of jobs. How about it? Does anyone have
a brand, or make, of a tool like this that they just love and couldn't
live without?

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Glad someone mentioned holding the faucet securely while trying to get
the hose off. If you do not, the stuck hose connection will likely be
the least of your problems. Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 10 Jan 2007 18:15:28 -0800, "professorpaul"
wrote:

For starters, flood with penetrating oil (any good hardware store).
This should help loosen it.

And don't miss the instructions on the Liquid Wrench can, which say to
hit the connection a few times to get the fluid to go as far in as
possible.

Vise grips, etc. will damage things. Use them as a last resort.

You need to have a good touch. I'm not sure if this is the place to
learn or not.

Vise grips are handy.

Definitely. And Vise-Grip brand are the best vise grips. Very well
made and strong.

Also, a conventional pipe wrench helps (it
tightens the more you lean into it). Also, I find what are known as
"pump pliers"

I call them "water pump pliers", even though they were not useful for
water pumps afaik for any car made during my lifetime.

-- adjustable, helpful for the lighter jobs. The handles
are pretty long, and you can get some leverage.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 02:25:02 GMT, wrote:

Slipjoint pump pliers. Sorta L-shaped. Channelock is a decent-but-affordable
brand. This is why they call them pump pliers- they are designed for stuff
like this.

It's not because they look like a water pump handle?

The leverage they provide gives plenty ot torque, but the 'crush
power' is limited by hard you can squeeze. That way, unlike vise-grips, you
are unlikey to crush or shatter the hose end or the hose bib itself. Of
course, soaking the thing in penetrating oil for an hour

Or even a day, I think.

before you reap on
it, will also help a lot.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10 Jan 2007 18:03:19 -0800, wrote:

Hello,

I'm trying to remove my garden hose from the faucet on the side of my
house, but it won't budge. It's rusted on I think, and I'm having a
hard time getting a "grip" on it to twist it off. This brings me to my

Soak with WD40 or other solvent. Let it soak for a day and apply it
several times. Grab with plyers that has curved blades. A vice grip
might crush the fitting. The plyers should do the job. If your hose
end is plastic, it may break. If its metal, it should come off.

question. What is the best "Multi-Use" tool for jobs like this?
Adjustable wrenches just don't have the "grip". Adjustable Pliers will
work, but Vice Grips permit you to "clamp" the hose. I've seen other
such multi-purpose "tools" offered on TV from time to time, but I'm
interested in getting a tool that is the most flexible, and durable,
and versatile for these types of jobs. How about it? Does anyone have
a brand, or make, of a tool like this that they just love and couldn't
live without?

In all honesty, a handyperson should have ALL of these tools. Dont
buy those cheap foreign made no-named ones. They are weak and
useless. Buy a name brand such as "Vice Grip" or "Craftsman". Ace
hardware's own brands are well made too.

There is one tool I can not live without, and I sort of love it, but
my wife loves it more. It hangs between my legs, You asked for it,
you got it. LOL

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10 Jan 2007 18:58:19 -0800, "buffalobill"
wrote:

two adjustable channel locks or substitute similar but only buy a pair
of the the narrow ones so they fit perfectly on the hose nuts and keep
them with your box of extra hose fittings and adapters. one grabs the
hose nut and other grabs sill cock to hold it in place.

Damn, there is way too much nut and cock grabbing in this reply. If
you are not a female, you must be having a very gay moment, and you
are scaring the crap out of me !!!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:
Hello,

I'm trying to remove my garden hose from the faucet on the side of my
house, but it won't budge.

I guess this would be a good reason to buy those garden hoses whose
ends are hex shaped. I presume I have a wrench that would fit them.
But I've actually never bought a hose. The house came with 2 or 3 of
them, and I've found about 3 more, usually on a hose reel. So now I
have about 6. I guess I'll never get to try the hex end.

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

wrote:

Also, a conventional pipe wrench helps (it
tightens the more you lean into it). Also, I find what are known as
"pump pliers"

I call them "water pump pliers", even though they were not useful for
water pumps afaik for any car made during my lifetime.

The big Channellock pliers? they are actually useful on very old - as
in 1930s - design water pumps, they have a grease cap that needs to be
tightened periodically to keep the bearings lubricated - if this is not
done the grease will lose its pressure and water can seep into the
bearings. Oddly enough, "water pump pliers" are darn near perfect for
this job

nate

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

wrote:

Also, a conventional pipe wrench helps (it
tightens the more you lean into it). Also, I find what are known as
"pump pliers"

I call them "water pump pliers", even though they were not useful for
water pumps afaik for any car made during my lifetime.

The big Channellock pliers? they are actually useful on very old - as
in 1930s - design water pumps, they have a grease cap that needs to be
tightened periodically to keep the bearings lubricated - if this is not
done the grease will lose its pressure and water can seep into the
bearings. Oddly enough, "water pump pliers" are darn near perfect for
this job

Yep, that's where the name (and design) originated...the original
purpose has pretty much gone away but the tool still has value.

For OP, my choices--

"Ordinary" slip-joint pliers -- CEE-TEE brand 8" are best, bar-none.

Vise-grips -- Need selection from small to large; needle-nosed handy on
occasion -- Vise-Grip also still the best

Waterpump pliers -- Channel-lock ok, have a favorite pair about 50
years old or so whose manufacturer can't tell you offhand...

Then there are all the specialty types such as fencing pliers/tool,
snap-ring, electrical of all types/specific purposes, etc., etc., etc.,

Posted to alt.home.repair

"buffalobill" wrote in message
oups.com...
two adjustable channel locks or substitute similar but only buy a pair
of the the narrow ones so they fit perfectly on the hose nuts and keep
them with your box of extra hose fittings and adapters. one grabs the
hose nut and other grabs sill cock to hold it in place.

I have a short pair of Channel locks, too. About seven inches or so long.
I use them a lot.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 11 Jan 2007 07:53:28 -0800, "dpb" wrote:

wrote:

Also, a conventional pipe wrench helps (it
tightens the more you lean into it). Also, I find what are known as
"pump pliers"

I call them "water pump pliers", even though they were not useful for
water pumps afaik for any car made during my lifetime.

The big Channellock pliers? they are actually useful on very old - as

Yeah, the ones that look like a long neck with a birds head on top at
a greater than right angle.

in 1930s - design water pumps, they have a grease cap that needs to be
tightened periodically to keep the bearings lubricated - if this is not
done the grease will lose its pressure and water can seep into the
bearings. Oddly enough, "water pump pliers" are darn near perfect for
this job

Yep, that's where the name (and design) originated...the original
purpose has pretty much gone away but the tool still has value.

For OP, my choices--

"Ordinary" slip-joint pliers -- CEE-TEE brand 8" are best, bar-none.

My parents had the best slip-joint pliers. I have lost track of them
since my mother died. I think there is a whole container of tools
among her stuff, including my Handy Andy level, and maybe my Handy
Andy full size screwdriver, but the only thing I want a lot are the
pliers which were probably my father's.

Unfortunately, I mixed the tools in with the paperwork, and I don't
want to look at the paperwork. So I'll have to do without.

Maybe they are CEE-TEE but I don't remmeber seeing a brand.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 05:44:34 GMT, "George E. Cawthon"
wrote:

We usually just use our fingers to put the
hose on and off the faucet. Hoses should be
tightened only hand tight. If the leak with hand
tightening, the hose end is bent or more likely
just needs a new washer.

Maybe -- in fact I'm sure you're right -- but I got tired of looking
for a new washer, so I started using a channellock imitation to
tighten my hose on. Stopped the leak. When I had room in the basement
I took the hose off at the start of the winter. I needed pliers to
start loosening it, but I didnt' cause any harm. I should try
plumber's grease. I just came across some in the basement.

Later, when the basement was full, because it has a reel with a
crank, I just cranked over and over again in the right direction until
the water stopped coming out. Maybe 100 turns even though the 2 hoses
go only 30 times around the reel. And not too fast after the first 30
because some of the water runs backwards and doesn't make progress
getting out. I havent' been in the hose but I'm pretty sure there is
only an eighth inch of water, not enough to burst the hose when it
freezes.

I'm careful not to bend the hose when it is cold, but I will probably
shorten its life some anyhow.

I also have an AM-FM radio which has been outside for the last 3
years. It has a roof over it, but I'm sure it gets some rain, and
cold down to 10 or 20F. If necessary, I let it dry out before playing
it.

Hint: One tool is never good for everything!

I had a neighbor who was good for nothing.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Two in one thread. Kerplunk.

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 00:11:11 -0600, wrote:

On 10 Jan 2007 18:03:19 -0800,
wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:

- And don't miss the instructions on the Liquid Wrench can, which say
- hit the connection a few times to get the fluid to go as far in as
possible.

Hi! I am trying to loosen a hose and someone suggested hitting the
connection a few times to get the fluid to go as far in as possible.

Can you suggest the proper tool for hitting the connection with? Things
I've tried:

1 - My hand - now it's bruised and sore
2 - The can of Liquid Wrench - split the can and now my driveway is a
mess
3 - The other end of the hose - bent the nozzle and now it's stuck on
too. Do I need to buy another set of channel locks for that end?
Perhaps a left handed set?

BTW I was going to hit it with the channel locks but I didn't because
the user's manual said not to use them for anything other than their
intended purpose (safety first!)

Any suggestions?

Posted to alt.home.repair

The mallets with the yellow plastic head are handy for pounding on
things that you don't want to damage. One poster also suggests a pair
of fence pliers. They have a hammer, wire cutter, plies, and hook.
Handy for all sorts of things.

My mechanical engineering friends always said, that when confronted
with a difficult problem, "get a bigger hammer."

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd have to guess that you positioned the wheel in line with the
hose -- across the threads. And that you preserved the surface
where the hose bib meets the rubber washer? So that you could use
another hose later?

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"HeyBub" wrote in message

Might as well use a Dremel.

I've had situations where every possible gripping tool was used

in
increasing levels of frustration.

Finally cut the son-of-a-bitch off. Should've done that to

begin with.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
I'd have to guess that you positioned the wheel in line with the
hose -- across the threads. And that you preserved the surface
where the hose bib meets the rubber washer? So that you could use
another hose later?

No.

I burnt the *******. Then I took the ashes to Louisiana and scattered them
along twelve miles of the Interstate.

Take no chances.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 11 Jan 2007 11:14:05 -0800, "DerbyDad03"
wrote:

mm wrote:

- And don't miss the instructions on the Liquid Wrench can, which say
- hit the connection a few times to get the fluid to go as far in as
possible.

Hi! I am trying to loosen a hose and someone suggested hitting the
connection a few times to get the fluid to go as far in as possible.

Can you suggest the proper tool for hitting the connection with? Things

Given the light weight of the things involved: A screwdriver shaft.
OTOH, for my motorcycle engine case, I tapped the bolts lightly with a
hammer.

I've tried:

1 - My hand - now it's bruised and sore
2 - The can of Liquid Wrench - split the can and now my driveway is a
mess

LOL.

3 - The other end of the hose - bent the nozzle and now it's stuck on
too. Do I need to buy another set of channel locks for that end?
Perhaps a left handed set?

Definitely.

BTW I was going to hit it with the channel locks but I didn't because
the user's manual said not to use them for anything other than their
intended purpose (safety first!)

Any suggestions?

First aid.

wire twist pliers mm Home Repair 8 September 20th 06 11:19 PM
Clamp racks, Bessey, F, G and Quick Grips Groggy Woodworking 2 December 18th 05 06:43 PM
Tool dock or similar? Ron Truitt Woodworking 0 August 14th 05 06:20 PM
Advice needed: looking to buy offset spanner and vice grips. Sleeker GT Phwoar UK diy 8 May 15th 05 11:02 PM
Fencing pliers - use of ? Colin Wilson UK diy 12 March 16th 05 06:15 PM