Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT What's the opposite of 'no-brainer'?

I've just seen a sentence which talked about something being seen as a
no-brainer when in fact it was complex.

In that case, why not just say 'simple' or 'obvious'?

Can anyone here explain please?

Is it just about the latest fashion-speak?

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 17:03:05 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

|I've just seen a sentence which talked about something being seen as a
|no-brainer when in fact it was complex.
|
|In that case, why not just say 'simple' or 'obvious'?
|
|Can anyone here explain please?
|
|Is it just about the latest fashion-speak?

Hawkingesque?
Einsteinesque?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...
I've just seen a sentence which talked about something being seen as a
no-brainer when in fact it was complex.

In that case, why not just say 'simple' or 'obvious'?

Can anyone here explain please?

Is it just about the latest fashion-speak?

Mary

'no brainer'
a decision or problem that you do not need to think about much because it is
obvious what you should do

create your own opposites, they may well be 'no brainers'
ps. putting 'no brainer' into google may have been a no brainer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mary Fisher" wrote:
I've just seen a sentence which talked about something being seen as a
no-brainer when in fact it was complex.

In that case, why not just say 'simple' or 'obvious'?

Can anyone here explain please?

Is it just about the latest fashion-speak?

Mary

Your questions are a no-brainer .....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 20:07:14 +0000, OxSc wrote:

|Mary Fisher wrote:
| I've just seen a sentence which talked about something being seen as a
| no-brainer when in fact it was complex.
|
| In that case, why not just say 'simple' or 'obvious'?
|
| Can anyone here explain please?
|
| Is it just about the latest fashion-speak?
|
| Mary
|

|Rocket science.

I have never seen "Rocket science" on its own
"Its not Rocket science" is the common phrase, which indicates something
slightly harder than a no-brainer.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:

I've just seen a sentence which talked about something being seen as a
no-brainer when in fact it was complex.

In that case, why not just say 'simple' or 'obvious'?

Can anyone here explain please?

Is it just about the latest fashion-speak?

Mary

Perhaps the opposite of a no-brainer is a brain teaser?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:

I've just seen a sentence which talked about something being seen as a
no-brainer when in fact it was complex.

In that case, why not just say 'simple' or 'obvious'?

Can anyone here explain please?

Is it just about the latest fashion-speak?

Mary

Perhaps the opposite of a no-brainer is a brain teaser?

sigh

I';ll assume that the combined experitise of this ng doesn't know.

And that the opposite of a no-brainer is a brainer.

I shan't be using either.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fiery Jack" wrote in message
"Mary Fisher" wrote:
I've just seen a sentence which talked about something being seen as a
no-brainer when in fact it was complex.

In that case, why not just say 'simple' or 'obvious'?

Can anyone here explain please?

Is it just about the latest fashion-speak?

Mary

Your questions are a no-brainer .....

They would be if there were decisions to be made on them. But there aren't,
so it's probably the wrong context here (which I'm sure you know).

-- JJ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've just seen a sentence which talked about something being seen as a
no-brainer when in fact it was complex.

Since this is a DIY group, may I suggest the opposite of no-brainer (aka
buy / do it !) is B&Q (aka DON'T do it)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:
I've just seen a sentence which talked about something being seen as a
no-brainer when in fact it was complex.

In that case, why not just say 'simple' or 'obvious'?

Can anyone here explain please?

Is it just about the latest fashion-speak?

Mary

Management speak, certainly not the latest, it's years and years old.
Meaning something you don't have to think about before making a decision.

Opposite (in management speak) - challenging - meaning I haven't got the
faintest idea what to do, but hopefully somewhere along the way somebody
will figure something out.

Biggles
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

snip

And that the opposite of a no-brainer is a brainer.

Au contraire; the opposite of a 'no-brainer' is a 'head-scratcher'.

I shan't be using either.

Mary

--

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:
I've just seen a sentence which talked about something being seen as a
no-brainer when in fact it was complex.

In that case, why not just say 'simple' or 'obvious'?

Can anyone here explain please?

Is it just about the latest fashion-speak?

Mary

Rocket science, Mary.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Fawthrop wrote:
On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 20:07:14 +0000, OxSc wrote:

|Mary Fisher wrote:
| I've just seen a sentence which talked about something being seen as a
| no-brainer when in fact it was complex.
|
| In that case, why not just say 'simple' or 'obvious'?
|
| Can anyone here explain please?
|
| Is it just about the latest fashion-speak?
|
| Mary
|

|Rocket science.

I have never seen "Rocket science" on its own
"Its not Rocket science" is the common phrase, which indicates something
slightly harder than a no-brainer.

You got the point, but not the humour. Chacun à son goût.