Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Good info on UHMW - what about phenolic?

On Jan 24, 9:47*am, Steve Turner wrote:
Since we're searching for low cost sources (and having some success)
what about suppliers for sheets of phenolic for something less than the
price of gold? *I don't see why it should cost $25 to $50 to make a
silly zero-clearance table saw insert or a router plate.

There have been several occasions where I've gone into a public bathroom
and found that the stall walls were made of solid 1/2" or 3/4" phenolic
sheets; certainly others have seen this too? *There's no WAY these
sheets can cost anywhere near what the woodworking supply companies are
sticking us for router plate material; it would cost upwards of $5000
just to put a few stalls in a bathroom! *Any ideas?

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/

I found UHMW at a local "rubber & gasket" supply house. I've bought
it in 3/4" and 1/2" cut to order VERY reasonable. I later found that
they offer recycled UHMW it was even cheaper, but it is bright green.