Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Good info on UHMW - what about phenolic?

DanG wrote:
You might be quite shocked to find out what toilet partitions
cost. Gibraltor brand are solid phenolic capped with a melamine
final surface. Santana is solid plastic . Bobrick is a hybrid
fiberglass/plastic type product. Stainless steel, marble, etc
round out the possibilities. At the bottom end are painted steel
and Formica clad particle board.

Painted steel is the cheapest. $50-75 per surface - each door,
pilaster, side wall and additional money for hardware and clips.
Santana well over $200 per surface. Gibraltor and Bobrick quite a
bit higher.

I imagine half the cost of R&D in that field is developing surfaces that
are resistant to Sharpie markers.

Now if you could just get people to install them with the doors opening
out (like the handicapped stalls), so I don't have to back up into the
toilet just to get out.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)