Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT bar codes

Got this in e-mail and thought it was interesting. I offer it for l your
interest, check it out and see if it seems correct to you. I checked on my
own and would like to know if anyone gets the same results. This is for
amusement only.
Curran Copeland

The whole world is concerned about China made 'black hearted goods'. Can you
differentiate which one is made in Canada, Philippines, Taiwan or China?

The first 3 digits of the bar code is the country code wherein the product
was made.

Sample: All bar codes that start at 690 - 695 are all MADE IN CHINA.
471 is Made in Taiwan

Government and related departments won't educate the public.
Therefore, we have to educate ourselves.

Nowadays, Chinese businessmen know that consumers do not prefer products
'Made in China', so they don't show from which country it is made.

However, you may now refer to the bar code, remember if the first 3 digits
a 690-695 then it is Made in China.

BAR CODES

00 ~ 13 USA & CANADA
30 ~ 37 FRANCE
40 ~ 44 GERMANY
49 ~ JAPAN
50 ~ UK
57 ~ Denmark
64 ~ Finland
76 ~ Switzerland and Liechtenstein
471 ~ Taiwan
480 ~ Philippines
628 ~ Saudi-Arabia
629 ~ United Arab Emirates
690 ~ 695 China
740 ~ 745 Central America

Posted to rec.woodworking

Curran Copeland wrote:
Got this in e-mail and thought it was interesting. I offer it for l your
interest, check it out and see if it seems correct to you. I checked on my
own and would like to know if anyone gets the same results. This is for
amusement only.
Curran Copeland

The whole world is concerned about China made 'black hearted goods'. Can you
differentiate which one is made in Canada, Philippines, Taiwan or China?

The first 3 digits of the bar code is the country code wherein the product
was made.

"Snopes" indicated this to be false. See:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/barcodes.asp

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

Nova wrote:

The first 3 digits of the bar code is the country code wherein the
product was made.

"Snopes" indicated this to be false. See:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/barcodes.asp

Too bad, it would be nice to be able to avoid MIC products that aren't
labelled as such.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 16, 4:35*pm, "DGDevin" wrote:
Nova wrote:
The first 3 digits of the bar code is the country code wherein the
product was made.

"Snopes" indicated this to be false. *See:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/barcodes.asp

Too bad, it would be nice to be able to avoid MIC products that aren't
labelled as such.

Too bad that Snopes has an agenda and is also been known to s t r e t
c h the the facts.
They're a right-wing conspiracy?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Nova wrote:
The first 3 digits of the bar code is the country code wherein the
product was made.

"Snopes" indicated this to be false. See:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/barcodes.asp

Too bad, it would be nice to be able to avoid MIC products that aren't
labelled as such.

Too bad that Snopes has an agenda and is also been known to s t r e t
c h the the facts.
They're a right-wing conspiracy?

Didn't Snopes indicate that to be false?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Nova wrote:
The first 3 digits of the bar code is the country code wherein the
product was made.
"Snopes" indicated this to be false. See:
http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/barcodes.asp

Too bad, it would be nice to be able to avoid MIC products that aren't
labelled as such.

Too bad that Snopes has an agenda and is also been known to s t r e t
c h the the facts.
They're a right-wing conspiracy?

? In this case they seem to be right. I just leaned over and picked up a
pack of CD-R "slim mini jewel cases" from staples, labeled "Made in
China" with UPC code (7)1810301641(4) below the bar code.

I've given up on going by the country of origin. Sturgeon's Law seems to
hold everywhere.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

Nova wrote:

The first 3 digits of the bar code is the country code wherein the
product was made.

"Snopes" indicated this to be false. See:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/barcodes.asp

Too bad, it would be nice to be able to avoid MIC products that aren't
labelled as such.

Too bad that Snopes has an agenda and is also been known to s t r e t
c h the the facts.
They're a right-wing conspiracy?

Didn't Snopes indicate that to be false?

How about:

"Hoax-Slayer:
http://www.hoax-slayer.com/product-bar-codes.shtml

Adam's Communications
http://www.adams1.com/upccode.html

KomoNews
http://www.komonews.com/news/consumer/36184479.html

Truth Or Fiction
http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/b/barcodes.htm

Should I continue?

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

Nova wrote:
The first 3 digits of the bar code is the country code wherein the
product was made.

"Snopes" indicated this to be false. See:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/barcodes.asp

Too bad, it would be nice to be able to avoid MIC products that aren't
labelled as such.

Too bad that Snopes has an agenda and is also been known to s t r e t
c h the the facts.
They're a right-wing conspiracy?

Didn't Snopes indicate that to be false?

The only bar-code I support is: "pay your bartender, tip your
waitress."
Posted to rec.woodworking

Nova wrote:

[...]

Why even start? Just two minutes spent looking at labels on the canned goods
in your pantry is more than enough to demonstrate that this is nonsense.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Miller wrote:

Why even start? Just two minutes spent looking at labels on the canned goods
in your pantry is more than enough to demonstrate that this is nonsense.

Two minutes?! I don't have that kind of time to waste.

Google took 0.22 seconds, and I didn't have to get up. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:

Why even start? Just two minutes spent looking at labels on the
canned goods in your pantry is more than enough to demonstrate that
this is nonsense.

Two minutes?! I don't have that kind of time to waste.

Google took 0.22 seconds, and I didn't have to get up. :-)

No need to go to the pantry even. If it's so then where were my
Doritos (280) made? How about the dip (284)? And my Coca-Cola (496)
And why is my new keyboard (978) marked "Made in China" if it really
wasn't?

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Curran Copeland wrote:

Too bad that Snopes has an agenda and is also been known to s t r e t
c h the the facts.
They're a right-wing conspiracy?

Didn't Snopes indicate that to be false?

Down the street they're claiming Snopes is part of a left-wing media
conspiracy. You know somebody is probably doing a good job when they
irritate both the left and right-wingnuts. Of course the thing about
wingnuts of both types is they think all the lunacy comes from the other
wing....

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 15:07:06 -0600, "Curran Copeland"
wrote:

[...]

Interesting. I thought it is mandatory in the USA to label (in
English words) where a product is made. I used to be a bar-code
programmer (programming scanning devices and barcode labeling
machines), but never knew there are codes to designate manufacturing
location. I thought companies used whatever scheme they wanted.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Phisherman wrote:

Interesting. I thought it is mandatory in the USA to label (in
English words) where a product is made. I used to be a bar-code
programmer (programming scanning devices and barcode labeling
machines), but never knew there are codes to designate manufacturing
location. I thought companies used whatever scheme they wanted.

Oh, no, the barcodes are a US (and probably other) government
requirement and if you start producing a product for sale in
sufficient number you are required to put barcodes on it, and
the codes are assigned to you by some government agency. You
can use your own scheme in addition, but you must use the
assigned codes.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Len Len is offline

"Curran Copeland" wrote in message

[...]

These numbers are the country that assigned the bar code to a product,
NOT THE COUNTRY OF ORIGIN!

Check out this site for info about bar codes:
http://www.adams1.com/upccode.html
What are the country codes?
Lots of people have requested the codes. Here is a partial list.
Remember, it indicates the country that issued the code, NOT THE COUNTRY
OF ORIGIN OF THE PRODUCT. The abbreviation "MO" stands for Member
Organization. The meaning of the prefixes ""020-029", "040-049" and
"200-299" are set by the GS1 administration in a given country. GS1-US
has defined these prefixes as for internal use in, for example,
warehouses. The authoritative list is here.

Len

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Got this in e-mail and thought it was interesting. I offer it for l your
interest, check it out and see if it seems correct to you. I checked on my
own and would like to know if anyone gets the same results. This is for
amusement only.
Curran Copeland

The whole world is concerned about China made 'black hearted goods'. Can you
differentiate which one is made in Canada, Philippines, Taiwan or China?

The first 3 digits of the bar code is the country code wherein the product
was made.

This is UPC and EAN.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Article_Number

* System code, the first two or three digits, usually identifying the
country in which the manufacturer is registered (not necessarily where
XXXXXXXXXX
the product is actually made). When the EAN-13 barcode is a conversion
of a 10-digit ISBN or ISMN code, the system code will be 978 or 979
respectively, or 977 for ISSNs.