Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default OT bar codes

wrote:
Phisherman wrote:

Interesting. I thought it is mandatory in the USA to label (in
English words) where a product is made. I used to be a bar-code
programmer (programming scanning devices and barcode labeling
machines), but never knew there are codes to designate
manufacturing
location. I thought companies used whatever scheme they wanted.

Oh, no, the barcodes are a US (and probably other) government
requirement and if you start producing a product for sale in
sufficient number you are required to put barcodes on it, and
the codes are assigned to you by some government agency. You
can use your own scheme in addition, but you must use the
assigned codes.

Check again and I believe that you will find that there is no
government requirement for bar codes on any products except medicines.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)