Posted to rec.woodworking

Default If you make toys...

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 18:47:51 -0600, "David G. Nagel"
wrote:

-MIKE- wrote:
Yet, for some reason, millions risk their lives to get to here to
live in this horrible, despicable place.

Yep.. but someone can take my place... I got out 2 years ago...

Hope it didn't hit you in the ass. :-)

Nah. He most likely backed out and the door hit him in the teeth.

well, not quite...
Been gone 2 years, the shop is finished, just got my first SS check and it
doesn't snow here..
Life is GOOD ;-]

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Curran Copeland" wrote in message

"Jim Northey" wrote in message
Ok so anyone know how this will affect the toys for tots campaigns that
are everywhere?
Jim

The way I read it and the way it was explalined to me is that those will
be treated as purchased/sold items (even though they are given away) and
will be subject to the requirments of the ACT.

Any one got a better take on it feel free to enlighten me, I would love to
be wrong here.

Sounds like a lot of kids in need are going to get screwed on Christmas when
this act goes into full swing. :-( I wonder if they even thought of that
..With luck some time between now and then they will rethink some of the act.
Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking
LD LD is offline

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
LD wrote:
"Curran Copeland" wrote in message

"Jim Northey" wrote in message
Ok so anyone know how this will affect the toys for tots campaigns
that are everywhere?
Jim
The way I read it and the way it was explalined to me is that those
will be treated as purchased/sold items (even though they are given
away) and will be subject to the requirments of the ACT.

Any one got a better take on it feel free to enlighten me, I would
love to be wrong here.

Is it even possible to buy lead based paint in the US?

Yes. Winsor & Newton 246 Flake White 1, normally in stock at Blick
Art Supplies for 5 bucks a tube is one example.

You're not going to find it in a can at Home Despot though.

Hadn't considered art supplies.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 12, 1:48 pm, wrote:
Curran Copeland wrote:
wrote in message
In August the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act was passed as a
reaction to the wonderful garbage China has been sending us in the
form of lead painted toys. Unfortunately Uncle Sam, in all his
infinite wisdom, has overreacted with a law that it is completely
impossible for any small business (that's you) to comply with. I
know, you're shocked.

I just got off the phone with the USCPA and in a nut shell I'm screwed.
This act will only cover items made for children, ALL ITEMS MADE FOR
CHILDREN, and has NO exemptions at this time. Any item that is made for a
child is covered and will have to be tested. by a third party. The only
light at the end of the tunnel is that they are considering a compliance for
small business that may be less stringent but at this time it is not in
effect. Even when it goes into effect if it does it will mean a lot of
paperwork.

I don't suppose a "For Adult use only" sticker would work . . .

I know there are lots of interesting disclaimers on products that seem
only there to avoid lawsuits or to dodge some regulation. For example,
check out any box of Q-tips to learn that you are not ever supposed to
use them in your ears. Seriously, it's on every box, and even on the
generic brands.

Won't work.

What is the definition of a children's product and how will the age
cutoffs be determined?
A "children’s product" means a consumer product designed or
intended primarily for children 12 years of age or younger. In
determining whether a consumer product is primarily intended for a
child 12 years of age or younger, the following factors will be
considered:
* A statement by the manufacturer about the intended use of
the product, including a label on the product if such statement is
reasonable.
* Whether the product is represented in its packaging,
display, promotion or advertising as appropriate for use by children
12 years of age or younger.
* Whether the product is commonly recognized by consumers as
being intended for use by a child 12 years of age or younger.
* The Age Determination Guidelines issued by the Commission
staff in September 2002, and any successor to such guidelines.

The third and fourth ones are where you are screwed.

-Kevin
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
On Dec 12, 1:48 pm, wrote:
[...]

You are right there!!!!!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Just an update on my efforts to find out sometilng about this. So far no
information just redtape and double talk, Have talked to several other toy
makers and they are all in shock. Mitch McConnell's office is still not
talking to me, guess I am not big enough.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Curran Copeland" wrote

Since the toys I make are old style and could be considered for the
collectors market, I know some people who buy them strictly for
decoration, I am thinking about it, I am going to have to check with a
lawer and see if it would make a difference.

A lawyer will NEVER give you a definitive answer ... it is against his
financial interests.

At the most, you will be painted a grey picture full of "if's", "and's" and
"but's", the decision will still be yours to make, as well as the
consequences of same.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Curran Copeland" wrote in message
news
Just an update on my efforts to find out sometilng about this. So far no
information just redtape and double talk, Have talked to several other
toy makers and they are all in shock. Mitch McConnell's office is still
not talking to me, guess I am not big enough.

Side bar: One of the concerns that the cpsa has is that the small toy maker
might buy lead paint at the local Lowes and wanted to know how I know that
my paint doesn't contain lead.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 15, 6:11 pm, "Curran Copeland"
wrote:
"Curran Copeland" wrote in message

news
Just an update on my efforts to find out sometilng about this. So far no
information just redtape and double talk, Have talked to several other
toy makers and they are all in shock. Mitch McConnell's office is still
not talking to me, guess I am not big enough.

Something has to give, the law is insane. Don't give up.

Side bar: One of the concerns that the cpsa has is that the small toy maker
might buy lead paint at the local Lowes and wanted to know how I know that
my paint doesn't contain lead.

From wikipedia:
"Paint containing more than 0.06% (600 ppm)[vague] lead was banned for
residential use in the United States in 1978 by the U.S. Consumer
Product Safety Commission (16 Code of Federal Regulations CFR 1303)."

I know there isn't any lead in the paint at Lowes because the
organization you're talking to made it illegal 30 ****ing years ago.
Do they not know that? If you want lead paint in this country you
have to seek out the special lead paint. If they suspect there is
lead in any of the paint there maybe they should do their jobs and go
find out? Now the standard is being lowered from 600 ppm, so I
suppose it's possible there's some paint at Lowe's which doesn't meet
the new standard. Again, a good way to find that out would be to go
to the paint factory and test it there. Or we could wait until every
toy in the US is painted with it, and then test them all. Yeah, that
sounds like a better plan.

-Kevin
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
In August the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act was passed as a
reaction to the wonderful garbage China has been sending us in the
form of lead painted toys. Unfortunately Uncle Sam, in all his
infinite wisdom, has overreacted with a law that it is completely
impossible for any small business (that's you) to comply with. I
know, you're shocked.

I encourage you to investigate the law and contact your
representatives.

Some links:
http://www.cpsc.gov/about/cpsia/cpsia.html
http://www.handmadetoyalliance.org/

-Kevin

I have recieved this link to make comments on the CPSIA, Comments must be
made by Jan 30 2009. Anyone who can or wishes to make a comment please do
so.
http://www.cpsc.gov/about/cpsia/Comp...tsComments.pdf

Posted to rec.woodworking

ww.handmadetoyalliance.org/

-Kevin

I have recieved this link to make comments on the CPSIA, Comments must be
made by Jan 30 2009. Anyone who can or wishes to make a comment please do
so.
http://www.cpsc.gov/about/cpsia/Comp...tsComments.pdf

Wrote my letter today. I hope it helps.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
In August the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act was passed as a
reaction to the wonderful garbage China has been sending us in the
form of lead painted toys. Unfortunately Uncle Sam, in all his
infinite wisdom, has overreacted with a law that it is completely
impossible for any small business (that's you) to comply with. I
know, you're shocked.

I encourage you to investigate the law and contact your
representatives.

Some links:
http://www.cpsc.gov/about/cpsia/cpsia.html
http://www.handmadetoyalliance.org/

-Kevin

Here is the latest:

Until Dec 21 2008 you must have certificate showing that none of the
products contain lead (MSDS for paint) or the product must be a natural
untreated material that does not contain lead. All products must be labeled
with the date of Manufacture.

After December 21 2008 all painted products must have 3rd party
certification for lead content

After Feb 10 2008 all products must have 3rd party certification to be sold.

So basicaly anything made before December 21st 2008 is good if you don't use
lead ln the product.

Clear finishes are not considered paint at this time. Stains are not
considered paint at this time.

Get your letters and e-mails in to let them know how foolish this is.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
Great info. Thanks.

The email address is

The doc contains a fax and snail mail address also.

I'll send one comment to each.

Just sent mine. I've dealt with 3rd party inspection for a number of years.
What a costly joke it is.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 11:43:00 -0600, "Curran Copeland"
wrote:

Here is the latest:

Until Dec 21 2008 you must have certificate showing that none of the
products contain lead (MSDS for paint) or the product must be a natural
untreated material that does not contain lead. All products must be labeled
with the date of Manufacture.

After December 21 2008 all painted products must have 3rd party
certification for lead content

After Feb 10 2008 all products must have 3rd party certification to be sold.

So basicaly anything made before December 21st 2008 is good if you don't use
lead ln the product.

Clear finishes are not considered paint at this time. Stains are not
considered paint at this time.

Get your letters and e-mails in to let them know how foolish this is.

So, until they change it (again), my process of Danish oil and buffing with the
Beall system would seem ok...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

"mac davis" wrote

So, until they change it (again), my process of Danish oil and buffing
with the
Beall system would seem ok...

Not so fast, since you are a south of the border manufacturer, you will need
approval from the Dept. of Homeland Security on the Danish finish and the
wax compounds used by the Beall system. And the DEA will need to check your
bowls to see that there are no illegal drugs in them. And, I almost forgot,
a mandatory body cavity search if you cross the border.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
Here is the latest:

Until Dec 21 2008 you must have certificate showing that none of the
products contain lead (MSDS for paint) or the product must be a natural
untreated material that does not contain lead. All products must be labeled
with the date of Manufacture.

After December 21 2008 all painted products must have 3rd party
certification for lead content

After Feb 10 2008 all products must have 3rd party certification to be sold.

So basicaly anything made before December 21st 2008 is good if you don't use
lead ln the product.

Clear finishes are not considered paint at this time. Stains are not
considered paint at this time.

Get your letters and e-mails in to let them know how foolish this is.

So, until they change it (again), my process of Danish oil and buffing with the
Beall system would seem ok...

Until Feb 10th.

I wonder how they would feel about using FDA 21CFR175.300 as an
approved list of coatings not requiring testing after Feb 10th.

-Kevin
Posted to rec.woodworking

To day I spoke with The Southern Artists Federation, The Kentucky Arts
Council, The Tennessee Artists and Craftsman Association, Artists
Associations in north and south Carolina and in Alabama. All of the groups
are alarmed by CPSIA and are taking steps to change it as well as notifing
all of thier members to write in to the CPSC site and thier congressman. I
also spoke the Wendy Rosen (if you don't know her do a google, it is
fasanating) and she is going to look into it and see what she can do about
it from a corporate level. She also advised me to ignore it for the time
being since she feels that CPSC will not be able to inforce it except for
imports and then not very well. According to her the act was sponsered by a
MO senator (no cosponser) and tacked on to another bill so no one in
congress really knew anything about it. I also spoke to a staffer from
Senator Bunning's office who asked if this was real? She had been to the
handmadetoyalliance web site and read it there and had a copy of the act,
but was unable to get through to the CPSC office. She said that the office
will close Friday untill Jan. 5 and the Senator said that if they have not
gotten a reply by then, they would have a reply in his office and an
explaniation of what is going on. She also wanted to know how many
Kentuckians are affected by this, I told her a few hundred and she said she
had heard for most of them. So the ball is rolling we will see how far it
goes.

Curran Copeland

Posted to rec.woodworking

sweet sawdust wrote:

[...]

Good luck to you on this; hopefully this ill-considered legislation can be
reversed. Leave it to the federal government to swat flies by wildly
swinging a sledge hammer. That MO senator wouldn't happen to have been
Claire McCaskill would it?

Posted to rec.woodworking

I sent an email to the League of NH Craftsmen tonight.

I did some digging on the CPSC site and found the manual for testing
for sharp points, sharp edges and durability regulations.

http://www.cpsc.gov/businfo/testtoys.pdf

And found this little gem:

"A sample shall consist of at least 12 subsamples"

So, if I want to make a custom toy for someone I have to make 13 of
them and then send 12 off to be tested.

Just trying to figure out which of these regulations actually applies
to anything is enough to give you a headache.

-Kevin
Posted to rec.woodworking

Good luck to you on this; hopefully this ill-considered legislation can
be
reversed. Leave it to the federal government to swat flies by wildly
swinging a sledge hammer. That MO senator wouldn't happen to have been
Claire McCaskill would it?

Ms Rosen did not give any names just state, It might be good to luck it up
though and see who sponsered it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

This deal is getting scary, this morning at 7:30 am CST I recieved a call
from the office of my state (not federal) representive. He wants to get
onboard to help fight this Act and use the resources of the state. I know
he does not open his office untill 9 am and closes for three weeks during
Christmas until the first full week after new years.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 11:16:34 -0500, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:

"mac davis" wrote

So, until they change it (again), my process of Danish oil and buffing
with the
Beall system would seem ok...

Not so fast, since you are a south of the border manufacturer, you will need
approval from the Dept. of Homeland Security on the Danish finish and the
wax compounds used by the Beall system. And the DEA will need to check your
bowls to see that there are no illegal drugs in them. And, I almost forgot,
a mandatory body cavity search if you cross the border.

hmm... my customers that take stuff back to the States are in for a bit of fun!
lol

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 17:43:00 +0000, Curran Copeland wrote
(in article ):

wrote in message
[...]

How does the law stand on small volume production clearly labelled
"Made by Craftsmen. Does not comply with statute..blah... " ? or something
more cleverly worded.
Is there provision for this?

I was wondering if there was some sort of loophole such as re-classifying
certain items as "furniture" rather than toys in the short-term. Obviously it
would be difficult to justify small stuff, but maybe rocking horse type
gizmos or anything a kid _could_ sit on.. ?

Just thinking aloud, but desperate times / desperate measures...

Meanwhile, good luck with the campaign, everybody.

Posted to rec.woodworking

How does the law stand on small volume production clearly labelled
"Made by Craftsmen. Does not comply with statute..blah... " ? or something
more cleverly worded.
Is there provision for this?

I was wondering if there was some sort of loophole such as re-classifying
certain items as "furniture" rather than toys in the short-term. Obviously
it
would be difficult to justify small stuff, but maybe rocking horse type
gizmos or anything a kid _could_ sit on.. ?

Just thinking aloud, but desperate times / desperate measures...

Meanwhile, good luck with the campaign, everybody.

It is my understanding that there are NO loopholes of this kind, that is
were the complaint comes in.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"mac davis" wrote in message
On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 11:16:34 -0500, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:

"mac davis" wrote

So, until they change it (again), my process of Danish oil and buffing
with the
Beall system would seem ok...

Not so fast, since you are a south of the border manufacturer, you will
need
approval from the Dept. of Homeland Security on the Danish finish and the
wax compounds used by the Beall system. And the DEA will need to check
your
bowls to see that there are no illegal drugs in them. And, I almost
forgot,
a mandatory body cavity search if you cross the border.

hmm... my customers that take stuff back to the States are in for a bit of
fun!
lol

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

You may have found the answer! Since the law only covers items sold in the
US maybe we need to move all crafts shows etc out of country.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
In August the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act was passed as a
reaction to the wonderful garbage China has been sending us in the
form of lead painted toys. Unfortunately Uncle Sam, in all his
infinite wisdom, has overreacted with a law that it is completely
impossible for any small business (that's you) to comply with. I
know, you're shocked.

I encourage you to investigate the law and contact your
representatives.

Some links:
http://www.cpsc.gov/about/cpsia/cpsia.html
http://www.handmadetoyalliance.org/

-Kevin

Curran-

I spoke with a person at the Consumer Product Safety Commission yesterday
regarding the third party lab testing fees. They have been hearing from
several hand crafted toymakers about this issue. As of right now, the fees
will go into effect. He said that they are working on a way to redefine the
way it reads so that hand crafted toys made from products that have already
been tested for lead don't have to be tested again. In about a month or so
they are going to release some clarifications regarding the issues that have
been brought up. I will follow up with the CPSC in January and forward to
you a copy of the document they release when I get it. Please feel free to
call me or email if you have any further questions.

Carrie Haas

United States Senator Jim Bunning (R-KY)

(202) 224-4343

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 18, 11:42 am, "Curran Copeland"
wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Well that sounds promising. But that wouldn't seem to cover the fact
that wood doesn't need to be tested in the first place. And that's
just the lead aspect, there's still the testing for all the other
regulations.

-Kevin
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

I agree but at least it's a start in the right direction, they are beginning
to listen. I saw to day the more Chinese c@#p has been recalled due to
high levels of lead or the fact that it falls apart when used, Looks like
the gov would want to encourage high quality domestic goods instead of
forcing it out of existence.

Posted to rec.woodworking

A couple of interesting articles:

http://www.7dvt.com/2008new-safety-l...isan-toymakers

And then the first comment on this page is VERY interesting:

http://www.7dvt.com/2008new-safety-l...isan-toymakers

"I haven’t heard a single legitimate concern yet."

Right. Try actually reading the law instead of talking about what you
think it says.

-Kevin
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
A couple of interesting articles:

http://www.7dvt.com/2008new-safety-l...isan-toymakers

And then the first comment on this page is VERY interesting:

http://www.7dvt.com/2008new-safety-l...isan-toymakers

Uh, that's the same as the previous page you linked.

"I haven’t heard a single legitimate concern yet."

Right. Try actually reading the law instead of talking about what
you
think it says.

-Kevin

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 18, 3:12 pm, "J. Clarke" wrote:
wrote:
A couple of interesting articles:

http://www.7dvt.com/2008new-safety-l...isan-toymakers

And then the first comment on this page is VERY interesting:

http://www.7dvt.com/2008new-safety-l...isan-toymakers

Uh, that's the same as the previous page you linked.

Whoops.

http://grecowoodcrafting.wordpress.c...-on-the-cpsia/

The first comment is from the guy quoted in the above link, who
basically says we're all in a conspiracy.

-Kevin

Wood for toys [email protected] Woodworking 5 September 20th 08 11:12 PM
Wooden Toys Ian Malcolm Woodworking 10 October 17th 07 11:48 PM
Christmas Toys me Woodworking 1 February 18th 06 04:07 PM
How do you like your new toys? Norman D. Crow Woodworking 5 January 2nd 05 01:46 PM
wooden toys jake Woodworking 8 October 24th 04 01:00 AM