Posted to rec.woodworking
Curran Copeland Curran Copeland is offline

Default If you make toys...

wrote in message
In August the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act was passed as a
reaction to the wonderful garbage China has been sending us in the
form of lead painted toys. Unfortunately Uncle Sam, in all his
infinite wisdom, has overreacted with a law that it is completely
impossible for any small business (that's you) to comply with. I
know, you're shocked.

I encourage you to investigate the law and contact your
representatives.

Some links:
http://www.cpsc.gov/about/cpsia/cpsia.html
http://www.handmadetoyalliance.org/

-Kevin

Curran-

I spoke with a person at the Consumer Product Safety Commission yesterday
regarding the third party lab testing fees. They have been hearing from
several hand crafted toymakers about this issue. As of right now, the fees
will go into effect. He said that they are working on a way to redefine the
way it reads so that hand crafted toys made from products that have already
been tested for lead don't have to be tested again. In about a month or so
they are going to release some clarifications regarding the issues that have
been brought up. I will follow up with the CPSC in January and forward to
you a copy of the document they release when I get it. Please feel free to
call me or email if you have any further questions.

Carrie Haas

United States Senator Jim Bunning (R-KY)

(202) 224-4343