Posted to rec.woodworking
sweet sawdust sweet sawdust is offline

Default If you make toys...

To day I spoke with The Southern Artists Federation, The Kentucky Arts
Council, The Tennessee Artists and Craftsman Association, Artists
Associations in north and south Carolina and in Alabama. All of the groups
are alarmed by CPSIA and are taking steps to change it as well as notifing
all of thier members to write in to the CPSC site and thier congressman. I
also spoke the Wendy Rosen (if you don't know her do a google, it is
fasanating) and she is going to look into it and see what she can do about
it from a corporate level. She also advised me to ignore it for the time
being since she feels that CPSC will not be able to inforce it except for
imports and then not very well. According to her the act was sponsered by a
MO senator (no cosponser) and tacked on to another bill so no one in
congress really knew anything about it. I also spoke to a staffer from
Senator Bunning's office who asked if this was real? She had been to the
handmadetoyalliance web site and read it there and had a copy of the act,
but was unable to get through to the CPSC office. She said that the office
will close Friday untill Jan. 5 and the Senator said that if they have not
gotten a reply by then, they would have a reply in his office and an
explaniation of what is going on. She also wanted to know how many
Kentuckians are affected by this, I told her a few hundred and she said she
had heard for most of them. So the ball is rolling we will see how far it
goes.

Curran Copeland