Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Need help from an experienced builder/carpenter

http://porchmonkey.250free.com/2houses.jpg

I built this (see link below) for my kids a while back. At that time,
and against my better judgement, I took the advice from my local
lumberyard and did not concrete the 4"×6" posts into the post holes.
Gradually, it has begun to tilt to the left.
It is a very sturdy and heavy little building, and I think the
counterman did not fully grasp what I was up to when I asked him.

I designed it to match the dwelling. It has 2×4 stud walls and roof
trusses, asphalt shingle roof, walls insulated and wired, cedar lap
siding, OSB wall and roof sheathing, custom aluminum storm windows and
other features. All built on 8'×12' deck, using 2"×12" treated floor
joists on 2' spacing and 5/4 treated floor decking with 2" rigid foam
foiled floor insulation. 2"×6" double corner brace atall 4 corners.
Floor deck height is about 6' and peak of roof is about 17'. Sandbox
below and 2 swings at the back end.

Does anybody have ideas how to right and stabilize it? The soils here in
South Michigan are somewhat peaty/clay/swampy, so I don't think merely
jacking and re-fastening the bond joists to the uprights would be a
final solution. Or possibly splicing an arrangement of screw jacks? I
dunno.

I ended up with about $2000 US in it and really don't want to lose it,
as I have 2 smaller kids now that love it just as well as the oldest
girl, who is still sleeping in it with her gal pals occasionally.
Emails welcome.

http://porchmonkey.250free.com/2houses.jpg