Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Real (Wo)Mans 20" planer, 9.8HP Diesel (w/pics)

Hello everyone,

At the Woodstock woodshow this year I was approached by a woman who was
looking for an unusual planer. I had previously sold her some nice
woodworking equipment and knew she likes good tools.

Her husband runs a tree removal service and brings lots of logs home. They
bought a diesel band mill and are milling the trees into lumber. The band
mill is out in the back 40 of their property and they only have a small
generator for lights. She was looking for a diesel powered planer to use in
the shed and keep the shavings at the back of the property. She had looked
and asked all over if there was such a thing. I told her I had not seen one.
A lightbulb light up in my head! I had bought a used HD 20" planer from a
small shop that had stopped milling their own lumber that would be perfect
for conversion to diesel. The electric motor was mounted up front, the
entire machine was cast iron and it had a segmented infeed roller.

Once I had cleaned up from the Woodstock woodshow, my mechanic and I at work
looked over the used machine, decided conversion to diesel was possible and
worked out the price. Rebuilding the planer and converting it took a full
week. Rich did a great job.

The planer now starts with the turn of a key and the 9.8 HP diesel roars to
life.

http://www.federatedtool.com/david/img/dplaner1.jpg

http://www.federatedtool.com/david/img/dplaner2.jpg

http://www.federatedtool.com/david/img/dplaner3.jpg

http://www.federatedtool.com/david/img/dplaner4.jpg

We did some testing on the planer yesterday and everyone in the shop who
watched had a big grin on their face. Just for fun, we took a 1/4" off on
one pass, not a whimper from the planer.

Mr. came to pick up the planer for his wife today. The best line I heard
was, "I don't want a 10 HP diesel planer, I want a wife who wants a 10HP
diesel planer!". I won't embarrass Richard by letting everyone know who said
that.

Thanks for looking,

David.

Every Neighbourhood has one, in Mine I'm Him

Posted to rec.woodworking

Very cool David

When the engine first starts up and or shuts down do you get the typical
short squeak out of the belts? Because of the high compression Diesels
start with such force and stop with such suddenness there is usually a belt
squeal from slippage.

"David F. Eisan" wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

David F. Eisan wrote:

http://www.federatedtool.com/david/img/dplaner1.jpg

I LOVE it!!

Questions....

1. I notice there seems to be a lot of hight/depth adjustment on that
machine.
With the battery and engine mounted underneath, will it impede that?
Was the motor there, previously?

B. How's the vibration from the engine, if any?

III. Was there a manufacturer's stipulation for motor RPM and how did
you account for it?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

David F. Eisan wrote:

Hello everyone,

At the Woodstock woodshow this year I was approached by a woman who was
looking for an unusual planer. I had previously sold her some nice
woodworking equipment and knew she likes good tools.

.... I was waiting for the punch line.

Nice job on the planer.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

"David F. Eisan" wrote

At the Woodstock woodshow this year I was approached by a woman who was
looking for an unusual planer. I had previously sold her some nice
woodworking equipment and knew she likes good tools.

snip wonderful story

This is the first time I have ever heard a "approached by a woman" story
that involves woodworking equipment! She sounds like a keeper!

I have worked on a couple diesel powered welders that we mounted to a
trailer and set u;p some benches, vises, etc. And I worked a few days with
a couple gas powered sawmills. The notion of a portable planer that could
take up residence right next to the sawmill is just brilliant. I love it.
These are some real smart, capable people you are working with here.

And kudos to your crew as well. You took a piece of old iron, updated it
and converted it to field use. Totally cool! I hope that they take real
good care of it and it doesn't develop a chronic rusting condition.

The woodworking gods are totally pleased with you. Buy yourself a pint
tonight. You deserve it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

David F. Eisan wrote:

Mr. came to pick up the planer for his wife today. The best line I heard
was, "I don't want a 10 HP diesel planer, I want a wife who wants a 10HP
diesel planer!". I won't embarrass Richard by letting everyone know who said
that.

Who makes the engine?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 19, 7:11*pm, -MIKE- wrote:
David F. Eisan wrote:

http://www.federatedtool.com/david/img/dplaner1.jpg

I LOVE it!!

Questions....

1. I notice there seems to be a lot of hight/depth adjustment on that
machine.
With the battery and engine mounted underneath, will it impede that?
Was the motor there, previously?

B. How's the vibration from the engine, if any?

III. Was there a manufacturer's stipulation for motor RPM and how did
you account for it?

Those are good questions. What is the RPM of that Diesel?

Posted to rec.woodworking

OK, I am back again and marveling once again at the badass planer with a 10
horse motor on it. If anybody had one of thse back in the day, they would
have plenty of biz running around planing the output from all of the small
sawmills around.

But I have this wise ass gene. So..... I just have to do this.

That planer is good and all. But......., where is the dust control
system??

OK, I will go now.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 20, 1:20*am, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:
OK, I am back again and marveling once again at the badass planer with a 10
horse motor on it. *If anybody had one of thse back in the day, they would
have plenty of biz running around planing the output from all of the small
sawmills around.

But I have this wise ass gene. *So.....

You also seem to have the 'stating-the-obvious' gene. *smirk*

=0)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 20, 9:34*am, wrote:
On Nov 20, 1:20*am, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:

OK, I am back again and marveling once again at the badass planer with a 10
horse motor on it. *If anybody had one of thse back in the day, they would
have plenty of biz running around planing the output from all of the small
sawmills around.

But I have this wise ass gene. *So.....

You also seem to have the 'stating-the-obvious' gene. *smirk*

=0)

Boss's account...whoops
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee Michaels wrote:
That planer is good and all. But......., where is the dust control
system??

5-10mph breeze.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:
On Nov 19, 8:14 pm, B A R R Y wrote:
David F. Eisan wrote:

Mr. came to pick up the planer for his wife today. The best line I heard
was, "I don't want a 10 HP diesel planer, I want a wife who wants a 10HP
diesel planer!". I won't embarrass Richard by letting everyone know who said
that.

Who makes the engine?

It's a Rotax :-p

Cool!

Do you know if it's a 2 or 4 stroke diesel?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Nov 19, 7:11 pm, -MIKE- wrote:
David F. Eisan wrote:

http://www.federatedtool.com/david/img/dplaner1.jpg

I LOVE it!!

Questions....

1. I notice there seems to be a lot of hight/depth adjustment on that
machine.
With the battery and engine mounted underneath, will it impede that?
Was the motor there, previously?

B. How's the vibration from the engine, if any?

III. Was there a manufacturer's stipulation for motor RPM and how did
you account for it?

Those are good questions. What is the RPM of that Diesel?

Typically very low, below 2000 rpm.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message
OK, I am back again and marveling once again at the badass planer with a
10 horse motor on it. If anybody had one of thse back in the day, they
would have plenty of biz running around planing the output from all of the
small sawmills around.

But I have this wise ass gene. So..... I just have to do this.

That planer is good and all. But......., where is the dust control
system??

Intake manifold. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Leon wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

III. Was there a manufacturer's stipulation for motor RPM and how did
you account for it?

Those are good questions. What is the RPM of that Diesel?

Typically very low, below 2000 rpm.

Don't know what OP did, of course, and don't know the specific engine
precisely, but most small industrial diesels are torque-rated at roughly
2200-2400 rpm. The little Japanese 3-cylinders JD uses in their small
utility tractors are right in the middle at 2300 rpm for 540/1000 rpm PTO.

So, assuming this is in the same general range, it wouldn't take a
terribly big step in pulley sizes to get roughly the right cutterhead
speed; 20% or so on each from originals would certainly be good enough.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 20, 2:53*pm, B A R R Y wrote:
Robatoy wrote:
On Nov 19, 8:14 pm, B A R R Y wrote:
David F. Eisan wrote:

Mr. came to pick up the planer for his wife today. The best line I heard
was, "I don't want a 10 HP diesel planer, I want a wife who wants a 10HP
diesel planer!". I won't embarrass Richard by letting everyone know who said
that.
Who makes the engine?

It's a Rotax :-p

Cool!

Do you know if it's a 2 or 4 stroke diesel?

I was trying to be funny... 10 HP with all that weight won't get you
far, eh?

Btw, I have been reading a bit on diesel aircraft engines. They seem
to have quite a following.
Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote in news:gg45d0$krb$2
@nntp.motzarella.org:

Lee Michaels wrote:
That planer is good and all. But......., where is the dust control
system??

5-10mph breeze.

A cyclone would work better.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee Michaels wrote:
That planer is good and all. *But......., *where is the dust control
system??

5-10mph breeze.

A cyclone would work better.

Oewww... I oughtta....

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

I was trying to be funny... 10 HP with all that weight won't get you
far, eh

Ahh!

No, but there have been diesels small enough to power r/c airplanes for
at least 15 years. They work really well in scale aircraft, as they
handle long exhaust extensions well, swing large props at a slower
speed, and have a more realistic sound.

Btw, I have been reading a bit on diesel aircraft engines. They seem
to have quite a following.

They had great promise, but Thielert, the biggest player, who based
theirs on a Mercedes turbo diesel, went BK. According to a podcast I
listened to a few weeks back, Thielert left far more orphans than I
would have guessed.

Since jet fuel is far more available worldwide than avgas, I thought it
was going to be big! I think the main reason for the lack of interest
in North America was the easy availability of avgas, and the
availability of a relatively easy 87 octane auto gas conversion for many
engines. Lots of guys who did the 87 conversion are now having problems
finding ethanol-free unleaded...
Posted to rec.woodworking

B A R R Y wrote:
Robatoy wrote:

[...]

I suspect that ultimately a multifuel engine would be a more fruitful
approach, and small multifuel reciprocating engines do exist--the Army
used them on trucks a while back and Evinrude has a multifuel
two-cycle outboard. Don't know how the Army does it but Evinrude uses
direct injection like a diesel but with relatively low compression (by
diesel standards) and a spark plug.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

J. Clarke wrote:
B A R R Y wrote:
Robatoy wrote:

[...]

Hmm - In my ignorance, I have to wonder how well a low compression
engine would fare at 8000'/2400m. Would that work?

(I played with diesel model aircraft engines in the 50's, but they ran
at fairly high compression.)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 21, 9:55*am, Morris Dovey wrote:
J. Clarke wrote:
B A R R Y wrote:
Robatoy wrote:
[...]

That would be extra work... dragging that lumber up a mountain like
that?
What if you didn't have a mountain nearby?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

That would be extra work... dragging that lumber up a mountain like
that?
What if you didn't have a mountain nearby?

Then I'd probably need a little help from my friends.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

Morris Dovey wrote:
J. Clarke wrote:
B A R R Y wrote:
Robatoy wrote:

[...]

Diesels typically have compression ratios from 14:1 to 24:1. Few
gasoline engines go higher than 12:1 and most considerably less. The
Continental O-200 has 7:1, the Lycoming O-235 has 8.1:1. Both are
very popular aero engines that work fine at 8,000 feet. The
Rolls-Royce Merlin that powered the Spitfire had 6:1 but it also had a
blower.

(I played with diesel model aircraft engines in the 50's, but they
ran
at fairly high compression.)

All diesels run at high compression--it's the nature of the beast that
they have to.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

J. Clarke wrote:
Morris Dovey wrote:

Hmm - In my ignorance, I have to wonder how well a low compression
engine would fare at 8000'/2400m. Would that work?

Diesels typically have compression ratios from 14:1 to 24:1. Few
gasoline engines go higher than 12:1 and most considerably less. The
Continental O-200 has 7:1, the Lycoming O-235 has 8.1:1. Both are
very popular aero engines that work fine at 8,000 feet. The
Rolls-Royce Merlin that powered the Spitfire had 6:1 but it also had a
blower.

(I played with diesel model aircraft engines in the 50's, but they
ran at fairly high compression.)

All diesels run at high compression--it's the nature of the beast that
they have to.

Thanks, John. The mention of a low compression aircraft engine confused
me - I suppose a 14:1 might be a "low compression diesel" then, even
though that might be fairly high for a gas engine. IIRC, my old Volvo
B20 (gasoline) engine had a compression ratio of 11:1, which I was told
was fairly high for a car.

I appreciate the info.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Follow up to JClarke

I checked with the optician who stripped and recoated my polycarbonate
glasses a while back and learned that that isn't being done any more
because the stripping process can produce ripples on the lens surface.

I asked about using windshield scratch filler/remover products and he
thought that /might/ work short-term, but would probably not survive
much lens cleaning.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar