Posted to rec.woodworking

Default The Domino has competition!

"Pat Barber" wrote
Slot mortising machines have been around for many
moons.

Swingman even has one...(more modern version)

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/Mis...rCrestJig4.JPG

Ayup..

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/18/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

I don't know about it being a direct competitor. With the Domino you
can literally just push it against a surface (like a biscuit machine)
and it will cut a slot. So that means you can just about cut a slot
wherever you can get the machine.

I am thinking here of curved table legs, long unwieldy pieces of
lumber, and such that would make it difficult to attach a jig. Since
you can pick the Domino up off the table and cut a slot in a few
seconds using a simple pencil mark as your guide, I am not seeing the
flexibility you get the green machine.

I would think this would be closer to the Multirouter than the Domino.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote

I would think this would be closer to the Multirouter than the Domino.

Appears it could be closer to the drill press mortiser ... in frustration.

But hell, for "only $10/month", even at 18.777% for 400 months?, some are
sure to bite!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/18/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
I don't know about it being a direct competitor. With the Domino you
can literally just push it against a surface (like a biscuit machine)
and it will cut a slot.

It's a guarantee that the Domino would give much faster operation with a
minimum of effort. However, considering the difference in cost, a little
extra time for operation and marking would seem a very reasonable trade-off
when using the JessEm just as long as it really does give essentially the
same quality of joinery.

Let's face it, there can't be too many home woodworkers, even advanced ones
who'd truly benefit day in and day out by having device that's as capable as
the Domino. The JessEm likely has a ready and willing market since the
Domino has opened the eyes of many when it comes to loose tenon joinery. But
again, only if it gives the same quality.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
wrote

I would think this would be closer to the Multirouter than the Domino.

Appears it could be closer to the drill press mortiser ... in frustration.

But hell, for "only $10/month", even at 18.777% for 400 months?, some are
sure to bite!

Why not just buy a regular mortising machine for about the same price?

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

Not with this thing.

The biggest hurdle the DOMINO has, aside from its "heart stopping
price tag" of course, is getting acrossed HOW it does what it does
so easily, accurately, quickly and well - and WHY. To appreciate
the DOMINO you almost have to have done loose tenon mortises
- on a few actual projects - with at least one of each of the "other"
jig/tool/machines to which the DOMINO is being compared - before
trying the DOMINO - on a real project.

I started doing M&T joints with a mallet, chisel and handsaw (ok
so I also used some bench chisels and a shoulder plane). And I used
the horizontal boring/mortiser on my X31 combination machine.
Then I got the JoinTech Cabinet Maker System with router
table and used it to do M&T joints. Then I got the General
International 75-075M tilting head, XY table chisel and bit
mortiser and used it before "discovering" loose tenon M&T joinery.
I made a router jig to cut mortises for loose tenons and then bought
the TREND M&T JIG and used it.

All along the way I noted all the layout, alignment, stops setting
and clamping "challenges" - with their corresponding "opportunities"
- to screw something up. YES - I COULD cut mortises for loose
tenons, and yes, I could make joints that fit well - and where I
wanted them. BUT the time and effort involved and the attention
to all the details was still a hassle. I didn't want to have to draw
a bunch of layout lines, do a lot of set ups, keep track of how
parts needed to be manipulated to accomodate the jig or machine
or mess with figuring out how to secure a part to the jig or machine
with clamps that often had to be taken off and remounted in
a different orientation or position.

What the DOMINO does is what I'd been searching for.

I'm in the Buy Once, Cry Once camp. And had the DOMINO been
available earlier in my woodworking journey - I'd have saved a LOT
of time, effort and grief - and some money.

Yes, this thing will cut mortises for loose tenon M&T joints.
That's where the comparison to the DOMINO ends.

If Festool took a page out of WoodMizer's play book, they'd
compile a list of DOMINO owners who'd be more than happy
to demonstrate the DOMINO for prospective buyers 'cause
once you've used it you'll want one - and start squirrelling
away the money for it.

charlie b
Posted to rec.woodworking

"charlieb" wrote in message
I'm in the Buy Once, Cry Once camp. And had the DOMINO been
available earlier in my woodworking journey - I'd have saved a LOT
of time, effort and grief - and some money.

Sure, you're right about all of that. Minimum setup, you can draw one line
and line up the Domino for it's cut. Same as a biscuit joiner except that we
want loose tenons not biscuits. At what point do you decide the Domino is
worth the cost? What if this new jig will do the same thing with only two
layout lines? Still spend the money on the Domino? Maybe. There will come a
point where the decision about what to what to buy might become
questionable.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 4, 10:33*am, Jack Stein wrote:

Why not just buy a regular mortising machine for about the same price?

Imagine trying to get a regular mortising machine into position to
mortise the ends of a 6' long table top support (the valance)
connecting two legs into your mortising machine to mortise the ENDS.
How would you do that?

To connect furniture parts on an uneven surface such as a seat "hoop"
to slanted legs. How would you get the hoop into the mortise machine?

I am looking at that and just wonder if that is the route you choose
for loose M&T, you might be better off building your own. Maybe
not... I am not familiar with this new offering.

Like many, I will be interested to read the results of the tests.

Robert