Posted to rec.woodworking

Default The Domino has competition!

On Sep 3, 2:50 pm, "Lee Michaels" wrote:
wrote in message

The Woodcraft catalog came in today with quite the interesting new jig
on the cover:

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=21034

Looks like sort of a long shanked end mill that you stick in a drill,
then the jig has a guide bushing inside of a bearing and a crank to
move the whole shebang back and forth.

I knew something like this would be coming, but I was expecting it to
use a trim router not a drill.

I would like to see some video of it in action.

Me too, I wonder how awkward it is, and you need to control the depth
yourself other than the collar on the bit. I presume you don't go all
the way in and then sideways but go in a bit, sideways, in a bit,
sideways, and you'd have to do that on your own.

Making it a jig instead of
a motorized unit certainly saved some money. I just wonder how strong it is
when you start applying a sideways stress on a drill bit, even if it is in a
bushing. But a drill is easier to handly in many different positions than a
router.

The prefab tenon stock is 1-1/8" for the 1/4" size, so 9/16ths deep
which isn't a lot, and a bit shorter than the Domino if my metric
conversions are right. When you think about it, it may get the guide
bushing closer to the work than you could get the collet with a router
and jig.

I keep thinking of the beadlock system. This is kind of like that, but
instead of drilling individual holes, you drill a very wide hole for the
tenon.

I don't know if it is a direct competitor for the Domino. But it si
definitely another loose tenon system. The more the merrier as far as I am
concerned.

Yup. I think it's competition in the sense that it makes the same
type of mortise, and it accomplishes it in a similar but less slick
manner. I also think there's more of this type of thing on the way,
this is just the first shot across the bow.