Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT - Generator

My Dayton generator (5000 watt, model SU934, at least 10 yrs old)
isn't working (no electricity at the sockets), yet the Briggs &
Straton motor runs fine. I would assume if the generator is turning,
then power is being produced. I've tried the reset button with no
luck.

Can anyone give some advice as to what maybe to check, repair,
replace, etc. With the hurricane headed for the Gulf, I need to get
preparations in order.

Thanks for any help.
Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:
My Dayton generator (5000 watt, model SU934, at least 10 yrs old)
isn't working (no electricity at the sockets), yet the Briggs &
Straton motor runs fine. I would assume if the generator is turning,
then power is being produced. I've tried the reset button with no
luck.

Can anyone give some advice as to what maybe to check, repair,
replace, etc. With the hurricane headed for the Gulf, I need to get
preparations in order.

I'd suggest also checking news:alt.energy.homepower

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 17:25:43 -0700 (PDT), Sonny
wrote:

My Dayton generator (5000 watt, model SU934, at least 10 yrs old)
isn't working (no electricity at the sockets), yet the Briggs &
Straton motor runs fine. I would assume if the generator is turning,
then power is being produced. I've tried the reset button with no
luck.

Can anyone give some advice as to what maybe to check, repair,
replace, etc. With the hurricane headed for the Gulf, I need to get
preparations in order.

Thanks for any help.
Sonny

How long has it been since you used it? Small generators are
self-excited and rely on residual magnetic field to start the
generation process. If you don't run them once in a while, the field
can decay to the point the generator won't generate. How long is once
in a while? Varies on size/model/manufacturer. But if it's been 6
months or more, could be the problem. Search for "flashing a
generator" or generator field flashing for info on how to fix.

HTH,

Paul F.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Paul Franklin wrote:

How long has it been since you used it? Small generators are
self-excited and rely on residual magnetic field to start the
generation process. If you don't run them once in a while, the field
can decay to the point the generator won't generate. How long is once
in a while? Varies on size/model/manufacturer. But if it's been 6
months or more, could be the problem. Search for "flashing a
generator" or generator field flashing for info on how to fix.

HTH,

Paul F.

I never knew about this. Thanks for the heads up.

------------

"Field Flashing of Portable Generators

This tip comes from the Briggs & Stratton Customer Education Department
via Precise Engine Repair web site.
As an alternative to flashing a rotor winding with a battery applied to
the brushes, an electric drill may be used. Follow these steps to flash
the generator:

* Plug the electric drill into the generator receptacle. (Cordless
drills do not work)
* If the drill is reversible, move the direction switch to the
forward position.
* Start the generator
* While depressing the trigger on the drill, spin the drill chuck
in reverse direction. This will excite the field and the generator will
now produce electricity. If spinning the chuck one direction does not
work, try spinning the chuck in the other direction as you may have the
reverse switch positioned backwards.

Use caution not to get your hand or other materials caught in the chuck.
As soon as the field is excited, the generator will produce power and
the drill will turn on.

The reason this works is because the electric motor in the drill will
act as a small generator when spun backwards. The magnets in the drill's
motor induce a voltage into the motor windings, which is fed back
through the trigger, cord and into the generators receptacle. From there
it goes into the power winding of the stator. The voltage going through
the power winding creates a magnetic field, which is intensified due to
the iron core of the stator laminations. The rotor intersects this
magnetic field as it is spun past the power winding, thus inducing a
voltage in the rotor winding. Once current flow is present in the rotor
winding the rotor has been flashed.

If flashing the field does not make the generator work, you may have
additional problems, besides a lack of magnetism in the rotor. Further
testing will be needed. Hopefully, this will give a simple way to field
flash your generator if needed - Bruce Perrault"

Source:

http://members.rennlist.com/warren/generator.html

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Nova" wrote in message
Paul Franklin wrote:

How long has it been since you used it? Small generators are
self-excited and rely on residual magnetic field to start the
generation process. If you don't run them once in a while, the field
can decay to the point the generator won't generate. How long is once
in a while? Varies on size/model/manufacturer. But if it's been 6
months or more, could be the problem. Search for "flashing a
generator" or generator field flashing for info on how to fix.

HTH,

Paul F.

I never knew about this. Thanks for the heads up.

Mine has often sat for well over a year - never heard of any such thing and
never had to do anything but fire it up.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Paul Franklin wrote:

How long has it been since you used it? Small generators are
self-excited and rely on residual magnetic field to start the
generation process. If you don't run them once in a while, the field
can decay to the point the generator won't generate. How long is once
in a while? Varies on size/model/manufacturer. But if it's been 6
months or more, could be the problem. Search for "flashing a
generator" or generator field flashing for info on how to fix.

HTH,

Paul F.

I never knew about this. Thanks for the heads up.

Aha... having already replied to this once, I then did some googling. Turns
out this is what we used to refer to as polarizing a generator. Was a
common thing on old automotive generators, but you generally only did it
once - when you first installed one. Have never experienced a generator
losing it's magnetic field. I suspect one would have to sit for much longer
than just a few months for this to occur.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking
RLM RLM is offline

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 17:25:43 -0700, Sonny wrote:

My Dayton generator (5000 watt, model SU934, at least 10 yrs old)
isn't working (no electricity at the sockets), yet the Briggs &
Straton motor runs fine. I would assume if the generator is turning,
then power is being produced. I've tried the reset button with no
luck.

Can anyone give some advice as to what maybe to check, repair,
replace, etc. With the hurricane headed for the Gulf, I need to get
preparations in order.

Thanks for any help.
Sonny

I have a pdf document for my 3.5KW generator that shows how to flash the
field in fig. 6-11. If you want me to send you a copy of the pdf doc. it
is 4.3mb. Drop me an Email to rlm4848atyahoo.com with Generator in subject
line and I'll send it.

generator - again Cuprager UK diy 7 August 3rd 06 09:51 PM
generator Cuprager UK diy 4 July 19th 06 09:09 AM
Generator SAMMY FINKELMAN Home Ownership 9 December 24th 05 03:49 PM
DC Generator Ken Sterling Metalworking 33 June 25th 04 03:22 AM
Generator FAQ Gunner Metalworking 0 January 23rd 04 05:24 PM