Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default generator

Hi,

I am looking to get a small portable (and cheap) generator for an
outbuilding. The genny should be able to power some lighting and run
some simple powertools (drill charger, drill, chop saw (1200w))- running
my 900watt lawnmower would also be a bonus (not all at the same time!).

I was looking at this-
http://www.worldofpower.co.uk/acatal...dusa_2300.html

It is being sold on Ebay for circa £200 - Is it any good for the uses
that I intend?

TIA

Gerry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 16:08:06 +0100, Cuprager wrote:

Hi,

I am looking to get a small portable (and cheap) generator for an
outbuilding. The genny should be able to power some lighting and run
some simple powertools (drill charger, drill, chop saw (1200w))- running
my 900watt lawnmower would also be a bonus (not all at the same time!).

I was looking at this-
http://www.worldofpower.co.uk/acatal...dusa_2300.html

It is being sold on Ebay for circa £200 - Is it any good for the uses
that I intend?

You should be able to get it for £117 (ish) since I've had them offered to
me at £99+VAT. I have a similar 2.6kVA generator and it's OK but bloody
noisy. I'm currently buying a 5kVA "silent" diesel generator which will
cost about £600. The regulations on the SIP and similar generators isn't
good and you'lll find each time that you start and stop an appliance at
around 1/2 the rated power of the generator that it will stutter and
sometimes stall.

Personally I'd have a look at something like this:

http://www.peakgenerators.co.uk/product.asp?id=472

More expensive, true but better regulated and much quieter.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 16:08:06 +0100, Cuprager wrote:

It is being sold on Ebay for circa £200 - Is it any good for the uses
that I intend?

Also have a lok at this one, which has a voltage regulator: Although I'd
still go for the silenced version and pay the extra:

http://www.peakgenerators.co.uk/product.asp?id=490
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Cuprager wrote:
I am looking to get a small portable (and cheap) generator for an
outbuilding. The genny should be able to power some lighting and run
some simple powertools (drill charger, drill, chop saw (1200w))- running
my 900watt lawnmower would also be a bonus (not all at the same time!).

I was looking at this-
http://www.worldofpower.co.uk/acatal...dusa_2300.html

It is being sold on Ebay for circa £200 - Is it any good for the uses
that I intend?

It won't last, won't work terribly well, and will be very noisy. If there
are neighbours, you'll get complaints.

Trouble is portability, reliability and relatively quiet operation aren't
compatible - a light engine means a fast revving petrol one. The best
generators will be a slow running diesel.

--
*Microsoft broke Volkswagen's record: They only made 21.4 million bugs.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cuprager wrote:
snip my original message

Thanks for all of the posts - I think that I will need to have a rethink!

Cheers

Gerry