Ken Sterling

Default DC Generator

All,
A fella runs a junk yard and has a crane with an electro-magnet for
moving scrap metal - he uses a 10,000 watt DC generator to power the
magnet. The generator is "going bad" (I don't know the details) and
he is looking for a replacement (fairly quickly). He is looking for a
10,000 watt DC generator, 240 volt, electric start and it can be
either gas or diesel...... Any suggestions or ideas?
Thanks
Ken
ERich10983

He is looking for a
10,000 watt DC generator, 240 volt, electric start and it can be
either gas or diesel...... Any suggestions or ideas?

10 KW AC generators are pretty common. High current diodes are also easy to
come by.

AC to DC using a single or three phase input along with a reverse connected
diode to catch the pulse when the coil is disconnected.

Too easy?

Earle Rich
Mont Vernon, NH
Richard J Kinch

Ken Sterling writes:

A fella runs a junk yard and has a crane with an electro-magnet for
moving scrap metal - he uses a 10,000 watt DC generator to power the
magnet.

Someone might have abstract ideas about doing this by rectifying an AC
generator, or a similar scheme. But 10 KW is a lot of power and it isn't
so simple to just hook up a few parts and have it work for long. Does this
thing really use that much ooomph? Where does all the heat go?
Tm

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..
Ken Sterling writes:

A fella runs a junk yard and has a crane with an electro-magnet for
moving scrap metal - he uses a 10,000 watt DC generator to power the
magnet.

Someone might have abstract ideas about doing this by rectifying an AC
generator, or a similar scheme. But 10 KW is a lot of power and it isn't
so simple to just hook up a few parts and have it work for long. Does

this
thing really use that much ooomph? Where does all the heat go?

45 amps is easy and the parts can be had for very little money. It's done in
many welding machines everyday. 600 Volts piv should be fine with a reverse
diode for the inductive load.

But I do agree with your comment on that amount of power. Doesn't seem
right.

Ken Sterling

He is looking for a
10,000 watt DC generator, 240 volt, electric start and it can be
either gas or diesel...... Any suggestions or ideas?

10 KW AC generators are pretty common. High current diodes are also easy to
come by.

AC to DC using a single or three phase input along with a reverse connected
diode to catch the pulse when the coil is disconnected.

Too easy?

Earle Rich
Mont Vernon, NH

Too easy?...I guess not if you know what you are doing.... 240v DC
single phase I assume....don't know the current needed, not sure how
to connect a reverse diode and what it would be connected to....
Ken.

Ken Sterling

Ken Sterling writes:

A fella runs a junk yard and has a crane with an electro-magnet for
moving scrap metal - he uses a 10,000 watt DC generator to power the
magnet.

Someone might have abstract ideas about doing this by rectifying an AC
generator, or a similar scheme. But 10 KW is a lot of power and it isn't
so simple to just hook up a few parts and have it work for long. Does this
thing really use that much ooomph? Where does all the heat go?

Don't know any details other than the original post. Have no idea
what kind of current a junkyard magnet would draw. I personally am
wondering if he could simply run a dc generator from the motor in the
crane from an extra drive pulley or driveshaft someplace. Also don't
know what is meant by "going bad" - whether it's the generator portion
or the engine is finally wearing out.... I got all this "second hand"
as the fella that asked evidently knows the junkyard guy, and thought
I may have an idea as to where he could find this generator.
Ken.

Ken Sterling

Ken Sterling writes:

A fella runs a junk yard and has a crane with an electro-magnet for
moving scrap metal - he uses a 10,000 watt DC generator to power the
magnet.

Someone might have abstract ideas about doing this by rectifying an AC
generator, or a similar scheme. But 10 KW is a lot of power and it isn't
so simple to just hook up a few parts and have it work for long. Does

this
thing really use that much ooomph? Where does all the heat go?

45 amps is easy and the parts can be had for very little money. It's done in
many welding machines everyday. 600 Volts piv should be fine with a reverse
diode for the inductive load.

But I do agree with your comment on that amount of power. Doesn't seem
right.

As I understand it, he (the junkyard guy) claims one of the welding
machines won't work as the output is not stable enough....
Ken.

Jerry Martes

Ken Sterling writes:

A fella runs a junk yard and has a crane with an electro-magnet for
moving scrap metal - he uses a 10,000 watt DC generator to power the
magnet.

Someone might have abstract ideas about doing this by rectifying an AC
generator, or a similar scheme. But 10 KW is a lot of power and it isn't
so simple to just hook up a few parts and have it work for long. Does

this
thing really use that much ooomph? Where does all the heat go?

Richard

40 amps at 240VDC may be about right for a big magnet. I've fixed my
buddy's magnet several times. It runs from a BIG engine driven welder. It
draws over 80 amps at 70 VDC and it isnt a very big magnet. I never thought
about how warm that magnet gets. I'll sure feel it next time I see it
working.
I'm not skilled at making rectifiers but, I'm confidant that even I could
build an adequate rectifier for this magnet since all the switching devices
are already there for the controls.
I was considering suggesting that the guy who is looking for the DC source
for that magnet, might be able to save some $$ by finding a military surplus
400 Hz 3 phase 208 VAC power source, since they are much cheaper than 60 Hz.

Jerry

Tm

s.com...

Ken Sterling writes:

[...]

I was not suggesting use of a welder, only that the diodes are in the range
of what is required. The best approach would be a three phase generator,
maybe something military at 400 Hz. It would be easy to go from 220/3ph/400
to Dc.

tm

Martin H. Eastburn

Ken Sterling wrote:
All,
A fella runs a junk yard and has a crane with an electro-magnet for
moving scrap metal - he uses a 10,000 watt DC generator to power the
magnet. The generator is "going bad" (I don't know the details) and
he is looking for a replacement (fairly quickly). He is looking for a
10,000 watt DC generator, 240 volt, electric start and it can be
either gas or diesel...... Any suggestions or ideas?
Thanks
Ken

Gosh - with this one - you can have coffee also!

$7535.00

http://www.weldingmart.com/Qstore/p001554.htm
INGERSOLL-RAND GENERATORS
G11 INGERSOLL-RAND GENERATOR
ID: G11
Model
Power Watts Max - 11000
Power VA Max (.8 pf) - 13750
Motor starting power(watts) - 3660
Rated power rating(watts) - 9900
Noise Level(dBa at 7 M) - 73
Enclosure - Enclosed

Engine
Engine Brand - Mitsubishi
Engine Model - S3L2SD
Displacement(cm^3)/Type - 1318/OHV
Rated Horsepower/RPM - 17/1800
Standard Starting System - electric start
Automatic Idle Control - No
Spin On Oil Filter - Yes
Spark Arrest Muffler - No
Fuel/Capacity(US Gallons) Diesel/11.4
Running Time Full Load(hours) - 12.4
Running Time 75% Load(hours) - 15.6
Running Time Half Load(hours) - 18.9
Gauged Fuel Cap - yes

Generator
Output Voltages - 120/240
Circuit Breaker Protection - Yes
Outlets - (1) 120v 15a duplex
Outlets - (1) 125 V - 30 A
Outlets - (1) 125/250 V - 30 A
Overload Protection - Yes
Number of Poles - 4

Package
Length (in/cm) - 66/169
Width (in/cm) - 30/77
Height (in/cm) - 47/119
Dry Weight (lbs/kg) - 1177/534
Wet Weight (lbs/kg) - 1265/574
Protective Shutdowns - Oil PSI + water Temp.
Lifting eye - Yes
Electric Start with Battery & Cables -Yes
Hourmeter - Included
Something like this one - Rent Lease until the one there gets fixed.

Mabye buy.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer

Tim Williams

"ERich10983" wrote in message
AC to DC using a single or three phase input along with a reverse
connected diode to catch the pulse when the coil is disconnected.

If you use a FWB, you have two diode drops to take care of the flyback
pulse.

Tim

--
"I've got more trophies than Wayne Gretsky and the Pope combined!"
- Homer Simpson

Ken Sterling

[...]

Martin,
Don't know if 30A would be enough.... also don't know if the
outputs are "cumulative" to total current capabilities of the
generator, ie, 15+30+30 for a total or would this just be 30A max?
Ken.

Package
Length (in/cm) - 66/169
Width (in/cm) - 30/77
Height (in/cm) - 47/119
Dry Weight (lbs/kg) - 1177/534
Wet Weight (lbs/kg) - 1265/574
Protective Shutdowns - Oil PSI + water Temp.
Lifting eye - Yes
Electric Start with Battery & Cables -Yes
Hourmeter - Included
Something like this one - Rent Lease until the one there gets fixed.

Mabye buy.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer
NRA LOH, NRA Life

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 02:23:57 GMT, (Ken
Sterling) wrote:

He is looking for a
10,000 watt DC generator, 240 volt, electric start and it can be
either gas or diesel...... Any suggestions or ideas?

10 KW AC generators are pretty common. High current diodes are also easy to
come by.

AC to DC using a single or three phase input along with a reverse connected
diode to catch the pulse when the coil is disconnected.

Too easy?

Earle Rich
Mont Vernon, NH

Too easy?...I guess not if you know what you are doing.... 240v DC
single phase I assume....don't know the current needed, not sure how
to connect a reverse diode and what it would be connected to....
Ken.

A reverse diode is needed to absorb the inductive overswing when
the supply to the coil is interrupted. In the absence of this diode
the overswing could reach hundreds or possibly thousands of volts and
cause severe arcing at the breaker contacts.The diode should be rated
for at least the nominal coil voltage and current. The cathode ( +ve
end) of the diode should be wired to directly to the end of the coil
that is supplied from supply positive. The diode anode (-ve end)
should be wired to the coil negative.

If it can be avoided, it is a bad idea to switch the DC input to
the coil. It is much better to feed the coil from a full wave
rectified AC supply and switch on the AC side as this is much kinder
to the contactor. If the full wave rectifier is permanently wired
directly to the coil it also behaves as a reverse diode and the
separate diode can be omitted.

Jim
Chris L

Back to the original poster.....

I don't know how much power you want to make. If you want to make from
500 to 1600 watts of Sine wave AC, forego all "build your own from
scratch" ideas and look up "redi-Line" on Ebay.

These are "motor generators", designed to take DC voltage from a car
battery 12-36 volts), turn a motor, which in the end drives a
generator that puts out Pure sine wave (Clean) power.

These are the precurser to newer electronic "inverters". Though not as
"efficient" as newer electronic units (of which you likely do not care
- running Steam and all), this should work Great! These can be had on
the used market for far less than the Electronic types (you couldn't
use the electronic types for what you are doing anyhow !)

Your mission would be to simply dissassemble the device (you pick the
power level you want - I would advice the 1600 watt cause you will
likely have the power to turn it) - and expose the motor shaft of the
unit, and drive the generator via your Steam engine (3600 rpm is the
recommended at full load).

Cool Eh ? Run the microwave via steam power !

I want to see pictures when you are done !

Chris L

Richard J Kinch

Don Foreman writes:

At 240
volts and 10KW, the avg (DC) current is about 41.6 amps, while the AC
ripple current from rectified single-phase AC will probably be well
under 1 amp. The difference between this and "pure" DC excitation
would not be noticable.

The original post question betrays too much ignorance of what is going on.
10 kW is just to much heat to dissipate on any kind of duty cycle. He may
be trying to duplicate a poorly cobbled prior repair or design.

Besides, that many amps into that big an inductor has gotta produce one
wollop of a surge when you switch it off. Saying you can absorb that with
a reversed diode is like saying you can brake a big diesel engine to a dead
stop by putting your hand on the flywheel. I suspect part of the reason
for the DC generator is that you can clutch out the prime mover, and the
generator becomes a motor to slowly dissipate the stored energy in the
inductor.
Jim Stewart

Richard J Kinch wrote:
Don Foreman writes:

At 240
volts and 10KW, the avg (DC) current is about 41.6 amps, while the AC
ripple current from rectified single-phase AC will probably be well
under 1 amp. The difference between this and "pure" DC excitation
would not be noticable.

The original post question betrays too much ignorance of what is going on.
10 kW is just to much heat to dissipate on any kind of duty cycle. He may
be trying to duplicate a poorly cobbled prior repair or design.

It's always dangerous to accuse someone of ignorance.

A little research on the web shows that a 10KW/240VDC
magnet is actually a small one. Here's a company that
sells used round lifting magnets:

http://www.caseyusa.com/resultspho2....d=DC%20MAGNETS

Here's the specifications on the biggest one I could
find:

http://www.caseyusa.com/resultselec4...t2=94&cat3=231

That's about 46KW. I guess there must be a way for
the heat to dissipate.

I have an old Audel book with a chapter on lifting
magnets. It describes the controllers and how the
high induced voltage is handled. There's no mention
of current or voltage ratings, but the relative size
of the controller components and connections would
indicate something in the 50-100 amp range.

Besides, that many amps into that big an inductor has gotta produce one
wollop of a surge when you switch it off. Saying you can absorb that with
a reversed diode is like saying you can brake a big diesel engine to a dead
stop by putting your hand on the flywheel. I suspect part of the reason
for the DC generator is that you can clutch out the prime mover, and the
generator becomes a motor to slowly dissipate the stored energy in the
inductor.

The Audel book does not speak of any use of the prime
mover to control the current, just a controller with
contactors and resistors.
Richard J Kinch

Jim Stewart writes:

It's always dangerous to accuse someone of ignorance.

True. But he did say as much, which is why he asked for advice.

I'll confess I have no experience with these things.

Still, 46 kW in an 80-inch disk that has to stay cool enough to maintain
240 V insulation doesn't seem like it could have much of a duty cycle.
That's about one toaster per square foot of surface area.

mawdeeb

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 02:04:24 -0500, Richard J Kinch
wrote:

Jim Stewart writes:

It's always dangerous to accuse someone of ignorance.

True. But he did say as much, which is why he asked for advice.

I'll confess I have no experience with these things.

Still, 46 kW in an 80-inch disk that has to stay cool enough to maintain
240 V insulation doesn't seem like it could have much of a duty cycle.
That's about one toaster per square foot of surface area.

Not that I would want to break into this thread too late but,

from the discussions so far it appears the loss of power through the
wire harness is being forgotten. IR losses in DC circuits this size
must be enormus. Any one brave enough to take a voltage reading at the
load end of the wires. If attempted leave your wallet with your credit
cards in the car.

Don't ask how I know this.

As for duty cycle, the magnet is off for the majority of the time.
When engaged, I'm betting the wires are the hottest this in the whole
rig.

My 2 cents

Jim Vrzal
Holiday,Fla.

Kevin Beitz

Building electric engine is a hobbie of mine...

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/tractor/?5709

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 22:46:36 -0500, Richard J Kinch
wrote:

Don Foreman writes:

[...]

It's a bit dangerous to accuse another poster of too much
ignorance when you are not too sure of your own facts.

Jim Stewart has already dealt with your comment on power
rating. Your comment on reverse diodes is equally misleading.

In an earlier post I recommended that the reverse diode be
rated for at least the nominal coil voltage and current.

This is because, at the instant of disconnection, the current
that was flowing in the inductor is diverted to and flows through the
forward direction of the reverse diode. This current then decays at a
rate determined by L/R of the magnet coil. The stored energy (1/2 L x
I squared) is dissipated in the resistance of the magnet coil - not
the diode.

The reverse rating is determined by the voltage that appears
across the magnet in normal operation.

Jim
Brian Lawson

Seems to me to be some confusion between the term Kilowatts and heat.
KVA or Kilowatts in the case of motors and machinery is the energy
used or available, and not just as heat. Properly designed and
operated, a 25 Kilowatt MG set gets no "hotter" than a 50 KW machine,
or a 1KVA transformer won't get any "hotter" than a 10KVA, nor should
a properly designed and used magnet. They just use that much energy,
and not necessarily as heat. If they were just heat dissipators like
a grid, then yes, one would get significantly hotter than the other.

And I don't know, but I doubt that anywhere in this system will there
be a single simple across-the-line contactor to operate the magnet,
DC or not. It would scare the **** out of the operator if he just had
that. Pieces of metal would be flying everywhere instead of being
properly and slowly attracted and dumped to/from the magnet.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 04:52:40 GMT, Jim Stewart
wrote:

Richard J Kinch wrote:
Don Foreman writes:

[...]

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Brian Lawson wrote:
On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 22:37:48 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote:

[ ... ]

Hey DoN,

Wrong DoN. I'm "DoN. (Donald Nichols)", not Don Foreman, who
wrote what you were responding to.

Owwww....what about the AC hum when he's got ahold of a 1/2 ton of
scrap pieces? Ouch!!

Probably not too bad. Based on my mag chuck for my surface
grinder, there is some residual magnetism which lasts for some while
after the chuck is turned off, and this could control the hum rather
well. As a matter of fact, it is wired up to feed raw AC to it to
demagnetize it so you can get the workpiece off without having to fight
for it.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Richard J Kinch

Brian Lawson writes:

Seems to me to be some confusion between the term Kilowatts and heat.

Nope. Read the magnet specs someone else posted for the DC resistance of
the coil and the DC current. I*I*R ends up as heat in the magnet coil.

They just use that much energy, and not necessarily as heat.

Seems to me to be some confusion between the term energy and power.
Martin H. Eastburn

Right Ken - but there are other models - IR does make them this size and much larger.
I see them on construction sites and always wished I had one to fire up after an earthquake.

Maybe someday.

Martin

Ken Sterling wrote:

[...]

Martin H. Eastburn

Richard J Kinch wrote:

Don Foreman writes:

[...]

You don't know how they turn it on or off. On something like that there could
be several coils a main one and a stepper. The stepper is the extra you need to
grab and take .

The windings are likely browned down and up - not on/off. You want to get it
below pickup to drop and above the safety level to grab.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Don Foreman

wrote:

Don Foreman writes:

[...]

Dump current can be no greater than excitation current, so diodes
than can deliver excitation can handle it no problem. 35 amp 600
volt diode bridges cost less than $2. The energy from the
collapsing field is mostly dissipated in the resistance of the load
just as excitation power is. Diode dissipation is fwd drop * current
whether exciting or dumping.

10 KW is about 13.4 HP. A 25% efficient 5 HP lawnmower engine
dissipates more heat than that, with far less surface area. Gae
thee to a scrapyard, behold the size of the electromagnet....

The original post asked for a replacement generator of specified power
for a system that has worked in service. Declaring him ignorant is
neither helpful nor defensible by technical premise you present.

Richard J Kinch

Don Foreman writes:

Declaring him ignorant is
neither helpful nor defensible by technical premise you present.

Indeed it was the wrong term, I apologize.

A 25% efficient 5 HP lawnmower engine
dissipates more heat than that, with far less surface area.

Perhaps, but it has the advantage of blowing most of that heat out the
exhaust, instead of raising itself to a temperature that blackbody radiates
it.
Don Foreman

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 03:51:08 -0500, Richard J Kinch
wrote:

A 25% efficient 5 HP lawnmower engine
dissipates more heat than that, with far less surface area.

Perhaps, but it has the advantage of blowing most of that heat out the
exhaust, instead of raising itself to a temperature that blackbody radiates
it.

Good point. The engine also has forced-air cooling on the fins.
Still, those magnets are pretty big so there's lots of area for
convection air cooling.

To your first point, we don't know that the magnet draws 10KW, only
that it was driven by a generator capable of 10KW. How much power
the magnet really draws is indeed a relevant question.

Ken Sterling

wrote:

A 25% efficient 5 HP lawnmower engine
dissipates more heat than that, with far less surface area.

Perhaps, but it has the advantage of blowing most of that heat out the
exhaust, instead of raising itself to a temperature that blackbody radiates
it.

Good point. The engine also has forced-air cooling on the fins.
Still, those magnets are pretty big so there's lots of area for
convection air cooling.

To your first point, we don't know that the magnet draws 10KW, only
that it was driven by a generator capable of 10KW. How much power
the magnet really draws is indeed a relevant question.

Yes, and as such, I know now that I need to try to obtain more info
concerning his particular situation. As I mentioned in another post,
I'm getting all of this "second hand" and basically was told he was
looking for a 10KW DC generator.... Hell, for all I know, he may be
using an AC generator :-) Next time I see this "second hand guy",
I will let him know that I could use a bit more into.
Thanks for all the help and suggestions.
Ken.

shop generator exhaust Michael Bruss Metalworking 4 May 7th 04 04:57 PM
Generator FAQ Gunner Metalworking 0 January 23rd 04 05:24 PM
Generator Grounding PoP UK diy 10 November 13th 03 12:29 PM
Mains failure generator switching tips? Chris Wilson UK diy 5 October 15th 03 12:12 AM