Tm

Default DC Generator

"Ken Sterling" wrote in message
s.com...

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
Ken Sterling writes:

A fella runs a junk yard and has a crane with an electro-magnet for
moving scrap metal - he uses a 10,000 watt DC generator to power the
magnet.

Someone might have abstract ideas about doing this by rectifying an AC
generator, or a similar scheme. But 10 KW is a lot of power and it

isn't
so simple to just hook up a few parts and have it work for long. Does

this
thing really use that much ooomph? Where does all the heat go?

45 amps is easy and the parts can be had for very little money. It's done

in
many welding machines everyday. 600 Volts piv should be fine with a

reverse
diode for the inductive load.

But I do agree with your comment on that amount of power. Doesn't seem
right.

As I understand it, he (the junkyard guy) claims one of the welding
machines won't work as the output is not stable enough....
Ken.

I was not suggesting use of a welder, only that the diodes are in the range
of what is required. The best approach would be a three phase generator,
maybe something military at 400 Hz. It would be easy to go from 220/3ph/400
to Dc.

tm