Posted to rec.woodworking
Wayne K Wayne K is offline

Default OT - Generator

Could also be the capacitor-Expensive part around $200.00
"Paul Franklin" wrote in message
On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 17:25:43 -0700 (PDT), Sonny
wrote:

My Dayton generator (5000 watt, model SU934, at least 10 yrs old)
isn't working (no electricity at the sockets), yet the Briggs &
Straton motor runs fine. I would assume if the generator is turning,
then power is being produced. I've tried the reset button with no
luck.

Can anyone give some advice as to what maybe to check, repair,
replace, etc. With the hurricane headed for the Gulf, I need to get
preparations in order.

Thanks for any help.
Sonny

How long has it been since you used it? Small generators are
self-excited and rely on residual magnetic field to start the
generation process. If you don't run them once in a while, the field
can decay to the point the generator won't generate. How long is once
in a while? Varies on size/model/manufacturer. But if it's been 6
months or more, could be the problem. Search for "flashing a
generator" or generator field flashing for info on how to fix.

HTH,

Paul F.