Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default Router vs. Table Saw as first major tool purchase

I am having doubts about my recent table saw purchase. Well, not actually
about the saw. I got a great (gloat-worthy) deal. But, about the decision to
get a table saw in the first place.

You see, I am a newbie. I asked around and most advice given was that the
table saw is the major workhorse in woodworking. So, I got one as my xmas
gift.

Problem is that I spent every cent I had to get a good one (well, the best I
could get for the money that I had). And, although it came with a wobble
dado blade (yeah, I know "you'll put your eye out kid"), I now (and for the
foreseeable future with a new kid coming soon) cannot afford a good blade
for a good dado set.

So I am thinking that I should have gotten a really good router combo and a
bit set with the money instead. At least then I could rough cut with my
circular saw and finish with the router. Plus, then I could do rabbets,
dadoes, etc.

Agree, disagree, head up my ass, other opinions?

codepath