Bay Area Dave

Default Router vs. Table Saw as first major tool purchase

perhaps you've not enough experience with a router to effectively use
one? Ever done rails and stiles without one?

dave

jacob wrote:

C wrote in message omREMOVE...

On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 17:45:17 -0800, nolove wrote:

I am having doubts about my recent table saw purchase. Well, not actually
about the saw. I got a great (gloat-worthy) deal. But, about the decision to
get a table saw in the first place.

You see, I am a newbie. I asked around and most advice given was that the
table saw is the major workhorse in woodworking. So, I got one as my xmas
gift.

Problem is that I spent every cent I had to get a good one (well, the best I
could get for the money that I had). And, although it came with a wobble
dado blade (yeah, I know "you'll put your eye out kid"), I now (and for the
foreseeable future with a new kid coming soon) cannot afford a good blade
for a good dado set.

So I am thinking that I should have gotten a really good router combo and a
bit set with the money instead. At least then I could rough cut with my
circular saw and finish with the router. Plus, then I could do rabbets,
dadoes, etc.

Agree, disagree, head up my ass, other opinions?

codepath

You did just fine. Go make a few things and then add to the collection of
toys as your budget allows. Some of the finest pieces have been made with
the simplest of tools and devices. Tools are extras. It's imagination
which counts.

I agree. Also IMHO the router is highly over-rated. It is pressed into
use for many things but does all of them badly. It is quite possible
to manage without one.
Wobble saw is highly under-rated. A good quality modern unit (NOT an
ordinary saw blade with added wobble washers) used for cutting slots
along the grain e.g. in frames for holding panels, is fast, clean,
accurate, quiet, highly adjustable and vastly more effective than
slotting with a router.

cheers

Jacob