Clarke Echols

Default Router vs. Table Saw as first major tool purchase

I bought my first table saw when I was a freshman in high school 45
years ago. I bought a Unisaw and 8" long-bed jointer 20 years after
that. My table saw gets used all the time; my router occasionally.
It depends on what kind of work you're doing.

As for a kid on the way, my wife and I raised nine, and have ten
grandkids, and I'm not 60 yet. And six of our kids haven't been
married yet, so there are a lot more to come, no doubt. It didn't
keep us from making use of the tools -- we needed the tools in order
to have the things we could make but couldn't afford to buy. :-)

Hang in there, and remember that if you try to make a good deal,
you'll always be wondering if you could have made a better deal.
Instead, make the deal, then make it good. Fewer regrets that
way.

CE

wrote:

I am having doubts about my recent table saw purchase. Well, not actually
about the saw. I got a great (gloat-worthy) deal. But, about the decision to
get a table saw in the first place.

You see, I am a newbie. I asked around and most advice given was that the
table saw is the major workhorse in woodworking. So, I got one as my xmas
gift.

Problem is that I spent every cent I had to get a good one (well, the best I
could get for the money that I had). And, although it came with a wobble
dado blade (yeah, I know "you'll put your eye out kid"), I now (and for the
foreseeable future with a new kid coming soon) cannot afford a good blade
for a good dado set.

So I am thinking that I should have gotten a really good router combo and a
bit set with the money instead. At least then I could rough cut with my
circular saw and finish with the router. Plus, then I could do rabbets,
dadoes, etc.

Agree, disagree, head up my ass, other opinions?

codepath