Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Salad Spoon

can anyone give me some ideas on how to scoop out the bowl portion of
a salad spoon. carving is not an option as I have no carving tools and
arthritic hands do not lend themselves to doing it that way. I need a
way using some kind of power tools.
thanks for any and all help.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"trvlnmny" wrote:

can anyone give me some ideas on how to scoop out the bowl portion
of
a salad spoon. carving is not an option as I have no carving tools
and
arthritic hands do not lend themselves to doing it that way. I need
way using some kind of power tools.

How about a dremel tool and carbide burrs?

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

If you don't have a dremel tool, you can pick up a wood rasp bit at the
hardware store for your drill and try that. Also, its easier to shape the
inside of the spoon on a secured flat board and then cut the spoon shape out
around it afterward.

"trvlnmny" wrote in message
can anyone give me some ideas on how to scoop out the bowl portion of
a salad spoon. carving is not an option as I have no carving tools and
arthritic hands do not lend themselves to doing it that way. I need a
way using some kind of power tools.
thanks for any and all help.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I went on a treenware kick and made spoons, spatulas, turners, mixers,
and other goodies of all shapes and sizes.

Everything was a snap except spoons. It takes a while to carve out
the bowls, which became pretty tedious. I went to Woodcraft and
picked up one of these:

http://tinyurl.com/6kpj4x

and a finer, less aggressive cousin to cut down on the sanding.
Dremels are too small and take forever. But these are 1/4" shank and
can be mounted in a drill or handpiece. I made about 10 more spoons
once I got this bit and it is still very sharp.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
I went on a treenware kick and made spoons, spatulas, turners, mixers,
and other goodies of all shapes and sizes.

Everything was a snap except spoons. It takes a while to carve out
the bowls, which became pretty tedious. I went to Woodcraft and
picked up one of these:

http://tinyurl.com/6kpj4x

and a finer, less aggressive cousin to cut down on the sanding.
Dremels are too small and take forever. But these are 1/4" shank and
can be mounted in a drill or handpiece. I made about 10 more spoons
once I got this bit and it is still very sharp.

Robert

I clicked on your link and got a

The Page Can Not Be Found.

??????

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
I went on a treenware kick and made spoons, spatulas, turners,
mixers,
and other goodies of all shapes and sizes.

Everything was a snap except spoons. It takes a while to carve out
the bowls, which became pretty tedious. I went to Woodcraft and
picked up one of these:

http://tinyurl.com/6kpj4x

and a finer, less aggressive cousin to cut down on the sanding.
Dremels are too small and take forever. But these are 1/4" shank
and
can be mounted in a drill or handpiece. I made about 10 more spoons
once I got this bit and it is still very sharp.

That link didn't work for me. I did some searching on the ID codes
and found
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx...e=details#tabs,
which I suspect is what you had in mind--140148 is I think the third
item.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 24, 11:19*pm, RicodJour wrote:
On Jul 24, 9:21*pm, trvlnmny wrote:

can anyone give me some ideas on how to scoop out the bowl portion of
a salad spoon. carving is not an option as I have no carving tools and
arthritic hands do not lend themselves to doing it that way. I need a
way using some kind of power tools.
thanks for any and all help.

Dremel rotary tool.

Or one of these
http://grizzly.com/products/Rotary-G...ol-Shaft/H6155

Which will take the flex shaft from one of these
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5541
My local woodcraft had a shaft sold separately. And yes, I put that
fordham shaft on my griz and it works. And it's a lot better than the
original.

And a Saburr Tooth bit
http://www.saburr-tooth.com/toolsShank14.htm

I use the medium grit 7/8 sphere followed by the fine 78 to get it in
better shape for sanding. I found a larger or coarser sphere is too
aggressive.

Takes about five or ten minutes to zip out a bowl. Hope you've got a
good dust collection system. Setting it up so I don't cover myself in
sawdust is the longest step.

With that setup your biggest worry is hogging off too much wood before
you realize it. Practice on scrap first. :-)

The saburr tooth bits are fantastic. They never clog and they hog off
wood. I can't remember which of the dealers they list that I bought
mine from. I also note that other rasp bits work fine, just not nearly
as fast and take more effort.

I prefer the flexshaft because the dremel is so fat. Easier to do
detail with the flexshaft. And the grizzly has lasted about three
years now with no problems.

I bought one of those metal toolkit suitcases from Harbor Freight to
hold it all.
Posted to rec.woodworking

I know this isn't a power tool like you requested but I have used this
to clean up a spoon after hogging out most of the wood with a rotary
rasp in a drill.
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=4867
Art

"trvlnmny" wrote in message
can anyone give me some ideas on how to scoop out the bowl portion of
a salad spoon. carving is not an option as I have no carving tools and
arthritic hands do not lend themselves to doing it that way. I need a
way using some kind of power tools.
thanks for any and all help.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 18:21:16 -0700 (PDT), trvlnmny
wrote:

can anyone give me some ideas on how to scoop out the bowl portion of
a salad spoon. carving is not an option as I have no carving tools and
arthritic hands do not lend themselves to doing it that way. I need a
way using some kind of power tools.
thanks for any and all help.

I have carved numerous spoons. I start with a block of wood, draw top
and side views on the sides, then carefully cut one face with a
bandsaw. Tape the pieces back together and cut the other side. The
rest is done with carving tools and sandpaper. I'm sure you can use a
Dremmel tool. Some sanding can be done with the Dremmel too, but
finish up with hand sanding. With power tools you need a light
touch--it's easy to remove too much or burn the wood.
Posted to rec.woodworking

and foundhttp://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=943&mode=details#tabs,
which I suspect is what you had in mind--140148 is I think the third
item.

You are 100% exactly correct. Even the exact bit.

I thought the wrap would be too long and the link wouldn't function.
So I used TinyUrl, but it goofed me instead.

Thanks for the correction!

Robert