Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] else24@gmail.com is offline

Default Salad Spoon

On Jul 24, 11:19*pm, RicodJour wrote:
On Jul 24, 9:21*pm, trvlnmny wrote:

can anyone give me some ideas on how to scoop out the bowl portion of
a salad spoon. carving is not an option as I have no carving tools and
arthritic hands do not lend themselves to doing it that way. I need a
way using some kind of power tools.
thanks for any and all help.

Dremel rotary tool.

Or one of these
http://grizzly.com/products/Rotary-G...ol-Shaft/H6155

Which will take the flex shaft from one of these
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5541
My local woodcraft had a shaft sold separately. And yes, I put that
fordham shaft on my griz and it works. And it's a lot better than the
original.

And a Saburr Tooth bit
http://www.saburr-tooth.com/toolsShank14.htm

I use the medium grit 7/8 sphere followed by the fine 78 to get it in
better shape for sanding. I found a larger or coarser sphere is too
aggressive.

Takes about five or ten minutes to zip out a bowl. Hope you've got a
good dust collection system. Setting it up so I don't cover myself in
sawdust is the longest step.

With that setup your biggest worry is hogging off too much wood before
you realize it. Practice on scrap first. :-)

The saburr tooth bits are fantastic. They never clog and they hog off
wood. I can't remember which of the dealers they list that I bought
mine from. I also note that other rasp bits work fine, just not nearly
as fast and take more effort.

I prefer the flexshaft because the dremel is so fat. Easier to do
detail with the flexshaft. And the grizzly has lasted about three
years now with no problems.

I bought one of those metal toolkit suitcases from Harbor Freight to
hold it all.