Posted to rec.woodworking
Phisherman Phisherman is offline

Default Salad Spoon

On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 18:21:16 -0700 (PDT), trvlnmny
wrote:

can anyone give me some ideas on how to scoop out the bowl portion of
a salad spoon. carving is not an option as I have no carving tools and
arthritic hands do not lend themselves to doing it that way. I need a
way using some kind of power tools.
thanks for any and all help.

I have carved numerous spoons. I start with a block of wood, draw top
and side views on the sides, then carefully cut one face with a
bandsaw. Tape the pieces back together and cut the other side. The
rest is done with carving tools and sandpaper. I'm sure you can use a
Dremmel tool. Some sanding can be done with the Dremmel too, but
finish up with hand sanding. With power tools you need a light
touch--it's easy to remove too much or burn the wood.