Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Help: Bandsaw and Drill Press Machine Project

I have some metal and woodworking projects I'd like to get to, but
first I have to get to two project machines(Drill Press & Bandsaw)
that I picked up a couple months ago.

http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/l...slander/Tools/

I'm getting ready to clean them up, but I'd appreciate any
recommendations on where I can get parts.

The Drill Press has a single phase 3/4" horse power motor that I'll
have to take apart, but I'd like to find a simular motor for the
bandsaw.

Going by the pics, can anyone tell me if there are any specific parts
I should be scouting for?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 14, 1:50 am, Searcher7 wrote:
I have some metal and woodworking projects I'd like to get to, but
first I have to get to two project machines(Drill Press & Bandsaw)
that I picked up a couple months ago.

http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/l...slander/Tools/

I'm getting ready to clean them up, but I'd appreciate any
recommendations on where I can get parts.

The Drill Press has a single phase 3/4" horse power motor that I'll
have to take apart, but I'd like to find a simular motor for the
bandsaw.

Going by the pics, can anyone tell me if there are any specific parts
I should be scouting for?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Good luck finding parts. AMT went out of business some time in the
late '80s, if memory serves, and they were noted for producing cheap,
hard-to-adjust (almost impossible in the case of a lathe I once had)
machines. I seem to recall they were early Taiwanese machines,
posisbly early enough to be Formosan.

Don't take the motor apart. Buy a new one and ****can the old one, if
you're goiong to go forward with your projects. It's old enough to
retire anyway. But I doubt very much you're going to have a
particularly worthwhile tool when you finish. I think I'd start
haunting ebay and Craigslist for replacement tools.

The bandsaw looks to me like a no-hoper. No parts, no table, no hope.
Blade length is easy, and probably standard: run a piece of string
around both wheels, pull it taut, mark and then measure the string.
It's usually easier than trying to loop a tape measure around both
wheels.