Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Advice Please: Bandsaw & Drill Press Project machines

I have some metal and woodworking projects I'd like to get to, but
first I have to get to two project machines(Drill Press & Bandsaw)
that I picked up a couple months ago.

http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/l...slander/Tools/

I'm getting ready to clean them up, but I'd appreciate any
recommendations on where I can get parts.

I assume that I'll have to take the Drill Press' motor apart

The Drill Press has a single phase 3/4" horse power motor that I'll
have to take apart, but I'd like to find a simular motor for the
bandsaw.

Going by the pics, can anyone tell me if there are any specific parts
I should be scouting for?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Searcher7" wrote in message

I'm getting ready to clean them up, but I'd appreciate any
recommendations on where I can get parts.

Did you try the manufacturer's web site? Ebay?

I assume that I'll have to take the Drill Press' motor apart

If you say so. Right now, I can't imagine why you'd have to.

The Drill Press has a single phase 3/4" horse power motor that I'll
have to take apart, but I'd like to find a simular motor for the
bandsaw.

I don't know what a "simular" motor is, so I don't know where you'd find
one. Why do you have to take the Drill Press motor apart?

Going by the pics, can anyone tell me if there are any specific parts
I should be scouting for?

Not without knowing why you are taking things apart in the first place.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Searcher7 wrote:

.... snip

I'm getting ready to clean them up, but I'd appreciate any
recommendations on where I can get parts.

I assume that I'll have to take the Drill Press' motor apart

The Drill Press has a single phase 3/4" horse power motor that I'll
have to take apart, but I'd like to find a simular motor for the
bandsaw.

Going by the pics, can anyone tell me if there are any specific parts
I should be scouting for?

....snip

Do the motors run? If so, I wouldn't take them apart. Looking at the
pieces, it looks like your biggest problem is rust that is going to need to
be cleaned up.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 14, 9:15*am, Mark & Juanita wrote:
Searcher7 wrote:

... snip

I'm getting ready to clean them up, but I'd appreciate any
recommendations on where I can get parts.

I assume that I'll have to take the Drill Press' motor apart

The Drill Press has a single phase 3/4" horse power motor that I'll
have to take apart, but I'd like to find a simular motor for the
bandsaw.

Going by the pics, can anyone tell me if there are any specific parts
I should be scouting for?

...snip

* *Do the motors run? *If so, I wouldn't take them apart. Looking at the
pieces, it looks like your biggest problem is rust that is going to need to
be cleaned up.

As for the drill press, I can try punching out that wooden dowel in
the center of the motor pulley and placing it on the spindle after I
find some belts. Then turn it on and go from there.

The bandsaw doesn't have a table or motor, yet. And I'm going to need
to replace that rusty blade. I don't have a parts list to determine
what else I still need.(All of the loose parts are in the pics).

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
Posted to rec.woodworking

There is no manufacturer' s website, and no reference to parts for
this Drill Press on eBay.

And the reason for taking it apart is because of the rust. I have no
idea if corrosion has spread to the internal parts of the motor.

And a "simular" motor means finding another 3/4 hp motor, single phase
motor for the bandsaw.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

************************************************** ************************************************** ******************************************

On Jun 14, 8:19*am, "Mike Marlow" wrote:
"Searcher7" wrote in message

I'm getting ready to clean them up, but I'd appreciate any
recommendations on where I can get parts.

Did you try the manufacturer's web site? *Ebay?

I assume that I'll have to take the Drill Press' motor apart

If you say so. *Right now, I can't imagine why you'd have to.

The Drill Press has a single phase 3/4" horse power motor that I'll
have to take apart, but I'd like to find a simular motor for the
bandsaw.

I don't know what a "simular" motor is, so I don't know where you'd find
one. *Why do you have to take the Drill Press motor apart?

Going by the pics, can anyone tell me if there are any specific parts
I should be scouting for?

Not without knowing why you are taking things apart in the first place.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 22:45:02 -0700, Searcher7 wrote:

I have some metal and woodworking projects I'd like to get to, but first
I have to get to two project machines(Drill Press & Bandsaw) that I
picked up a couple months ago.

http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/l...slander/Tools/

I'm getting ready to clean them up, but I'd appreciate any
recommendations on where I can get parts.

I assume that I'll have to take the Drill Press' motor apart

The Drill Press has a single phase 3/4" horse power motor that I'll have
to take apart, but I'd like to find a simular motor for the bandsaw.

Going by the pics, can anyone tell me if there are any specific parts I
should be scouting for?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Drill Press---
The spindle of the drill press should have some press fit sealed ball
bearings that it spins in. I would remove the chuck assembly and with
out any belts, spin the quill pulley to make sure there are no bad
bearing sounds. There should also not be any wiggle of the quill.

There should be a slot in the quill / spindle for driving a wedge to
remove the chuck assy.

The object to minimize run-out. As drill presses get old and worn out,
or if it was cheaply made, the drill in the chuck will not spin exactly
centered in the spin. This wobble can be measured. Others can describe
how to measure the run out in another thread.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Searcher7 wrote:
There is no manufacturer' s website, and no reference to parts for
this Drill Press on eBay.

And the reason for taking it apart is because of the rust. I have no
idea if corrosion has spread to the internal parts of the motor.

And a "simular" motor means finding another 3/4 hp motor, single phase
motor for the bandsaw.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

See:

http://www.grizzlytools.com/products...10V-220V/G2531

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

Searcher7 wrote:
There is no manufacturer' s website, and no reference to parts for
this Drill Press on eBay.

And the reason for taking it apart is because of the rust. I have no
idea if corrosion has spread to the internal parts of the motor.

And a "simular" motor means finding another 3/4 hp motor, single
phase
motor for the bandsaw.

Motors like this are considered as throw away items.

Most of the time it is less costly to replace than to try to repair.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

simular vs. similar

He was chiding you about your failure to use your spell-checker.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 14, 11:44*am, Phil Again
wrote:
[...]

how to measure the run out in another thread.- Hide quoted text -

I've been researching that.

Here is a quote I got from someone else: "I have two of them, the
spindle/quills are so sloppy that they are next to useless."

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 14, 4:10*pm, Nova wrote:
Searcher7 wrote:
There is no manufacturer' s website, and no reference to parts for
this Drill Press on eBay.

And the reason for taking it apart is because of the rust. I have no
idea if corrosion has spread to the internal parts of the motor.

And a "simular" motor means finding another 3/4 hp motor, single phase
motor for the bandsaw.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

See:

http://www.grizzlytools.com/products...e-Phase-3450-R...

Here is a quote I got from someone else: "That drill press sold for
around $80 new in the early 1980's
without an electric motor."
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 15, 9:46*am, Hoosierpopi wrote:
simular vs. similar

He was chiding you about your failure to use your spell-checker.

I know. But both words definitions are sim.., uh close. :-)

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.